• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Perhaps it is better to scan the Sunday pages one panel at a time.

bb

This kind of looks like the Big Little Book version.

3332356800_0a5173f1cd_o.jpg

I think I previously posted the comic page which contains this panel but it is a little smaller than the Sunday page and easier to scan.

2375573284_7cb0ef7cea_b.jpg

I think I previously posted the comic page which contains this panel but it is a little smaller than the Sunday page and easier to scan.

2375573284_7cb0ef7cea_b.jpg

Ooooh -- terrific chemical heat from thermiton.

Nice looking page!

Jack

3332356800_0a5173f1cd_o.jpg

3332356972_9edceee6a8_o.jpg

Love the Flash Gordon scans. :applause:

Those extra large images are especially nice. (thumbs u

Alex Raymond is one of my favorite artists from that era.

I've always thought he created the template for the prototypical superhero costume which Joe Shuster ended up using for Superman and which was used by hundreds of comic book characters that followed in his footsteps: close fitting shirt and leggings, trunks, boots, cape, and iconic symbol of some sort emblazoned on the chest.

Here are some examples from 1934.

flashgordon_1.jpg

flashgordon_2.jpg

flashgordon_3.jpg

I was working on those Flash Gordon pages but I got a little distracted.

I heard that parents are outraged about the latest tattooed Barbie.

But then I looked a little closer at the tattoo and it seemed familiar.

3331617057_4a92baa9b5_o.jpg

:busy:

Barbie is a Popeye fan?

Or, maybe she's part of the Zaboly clan...Barbie Zaboly?

Bela Zaboly Link

BelaZabolyPopeye.jpg

From Heritage archives.

2319035088_2d30289c3f_b.jpg

Love the Flash Gordon scans. :applause:

Those extra large images are especially nice. (thumbs u

Alex Raymond is one of my favorite artists from that era.

I've always thought he created the template for the prototypical superhero costume which Joe Shuster ended up using for Superman and which was used by hundreds of comic book characters that followed in his footsteps: close fitting shirt and leggings, trunks, boots, cape, and iconic symbol of some sort emblazoned on the chest.

Here are some examples from 1934.

flashgordon_1.jpg

We are lucky that Shuster chose the second Flash image instead of the first. That funny hat and extra color is a little over the top. Although Capt. America and the Dr. Mid-Nite liked those boots...

I guess the second wave of heroes had to take another Raymond costume choice.

3335747668_dd47d440a5.jpg2319035088_2d30289c3f.jpg

At least they didn't use the funny hat. Robin Hood got that hat.

And the Sandman got to wear the fedora.

bb

3335074349_ec3401cac9.jpg

Until Kirby came along...

3335910840_c57046ea3f_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I noticed this Hollywood newstand from Wonder Woman. I don't think you mentioned this one yet.

bb

3331713578_07fd126a6f_o.jpg

Now THAT is cool :applause:

Why is Alan Ladd so tall in that picture. He was probably shorter than either of the Nelsons. Maybe it was part of the license agreement which made him at least 6 feet tall when he was probably only 5 1/2 ft.

bb

I think some of these have been posted before.

Avon Fantasy Readers are a good source for stories by R.E. Howard and Sax Rohmer.

I just picked these up and I still need a lot of issues to complete the run.

But I couldn't resist that cover story in issue 13. I think it was the funny hats that attracted my attention.

Sure.. Or maybe it was the neon brassiere.

3341563859_963af1b7a7_o.jpg

3341564251_b32d108d3c_b.jpg

3342400258_55994e3348_b.jpg

I think some of these have been posted before.

Avon Fantasy Readers are a good source for stories by R.E. Howard and Sax Rohmer.

I just picked these up and I still need a lot of issues to complete the run.

But I couldn't resist that cover story in issue 13. I think it was the funny hats that attracted my attention.

Sure.. Or maybe it was the neon brassiere.

3341563859_963af1b7a7_o.jpg

Oh, man. That's the last time I let a reporter in my lab. Now the neon brassiere patent might be invalidated because of public disclosure.

Jack

good stuff!

Last night I was looking through a box filled with miscellaneous magazines, old catalogs, and assorted papers and came across a bunch of interesting items.

Here is a newspaper clipping from 1965 that profiles Houston collector, Gene Arnold.

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

I noticed this Hollywood newstand from Wonder Woman. I don't think you mentioned this one yet.

bb

Why is Alan Ladd so tall in that picture. He was probably shorter than either of the Nelsons. Maybe it was part of the license agreement which made him at least 6 feet tall when he was probably only 5 1/2 ft.

bb

I think 5'6" is generous for ladd! There's a reason he starred with veronica lake!

I believe Gene is still collecting movie posters.

Pretty neat to see his Action #1 sitting there in a stack, but I wonder if he really said he thought there were only three copies of Whiz #1 left or if that was a misquote?

bb

bb

I think 5'6" is generous for ladd! There's a reason he starred with veronica lake!

You're right, Alan was only 5 ft 5 inches tall. About the same height as my uncle who thought he was 6 ft 5 inches tall.

I believe Gene is still collecting movie posters.

Pretty neat to see his Action #1 sitting there in a stack, but I wonder if he really said he thought there were only three copies of Whiz #1 left or if that was a misquote?

It was 1965 and with limited knowledge available he might have thought that.

Thanks for posting the article, BZ. It's great seeing comic collecting in the old newspapers.

Last night I was looking through a box filled with miscellaneous magazines, old catalogs, and assorted papers and came across a bunch of interesting items.

Here is a newspaper clipping from 1965 that profiles Houston collector, Gene Arnold.

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

very cool... I am sure I can find $100 to buy an action 1!

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

Don't know if this is the same buy but there is a Gene Arnold in Texas that ran a website called Movie Posters.Com

He apparently got into collecting after being introduced to movie posters at a 1965 Comic Con.

hm

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

I am so jealous seeing stack of comics like that is pisses me off......why couldn't I have been born earlier :frustrated:

Is he still collecting?

genearnold.jpg

I am so jealous seeing stack of comics like that is pisses me off......why couldn't I have been born earlier :frustrated:

even if you had of, your mom would have thrown them away :baiting: