• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

3625789404_01e0ab0254_o.jpg

Looks as if Slam Bradley liked to improve his mind by reading Detective Comics. I think he switched to reading Action Comics at about the time this Detective 25 story was drawn.

bb

This was probably a fiche scan that somebody cleaned up.

Edited by BB-Gun

Might only interest me ... but some classic paintings would work well as design for comic books. For example, this would have made a fantastic cover for either The Arrow or a late run Amazing Man issue. (Sorry for the fuzzy pic) -

You can bet the Golden Age artists were looking at the classical painters and illustrators for inspiration and swipes! After all they were all hoping to get out of comics and into the more respectable position of illustrator!

No doubt and for the pioneer artists, probably more than we imagine today.

This other example could not but remind me of Krigstein's cover for Piracy. This is not another case like Crandall flat out copying a pirate ship but, instead, I thought the sensibilities and compositions in this example were similar -

81138.jpg.bc5463802cd1a3c58735c45bb06a84e5.jpg

Back in the Golden Age time period the art museums sold color reproductions of their famous paintings. These were smallish (4" x 6") but there couldn't have been a better way to have a file of swipable illustrations. I have some of these my Grandmother bought from the Met in New York. I will take a look through them and post any that look like they could have been source material.

Life magazine was also a ready source of material. And that came out every week chock full of beautiful phototgraphy. I bet a lot of poses got swiped right out of there.

Delacroix ! (worship)

Here's a Delacroix that could have been a cover for "Two-Fisted Tales".

Great choice :applause:

That's great stuff Scrooge. Can't wait to see what other combinations you come up with.

Here's another one a little more controversial maybe but we're adults so I think we can handle it.

This would have been a good cover for Real Fact Comics maybe.

Courbet's title is L'origine du Monde (The Origin of the World). It was a private commission in 1866 from Khalil Bey, a Turkish diplomat. Later the painting was owned by Jacques Lacan, renowned psychoanalyst. The Musee d'Orsay acquired the work in 1995.

The painting is freely exhibited in the museum. In fact, it is prominent in its exhibit room since it faces the entrance. It is interesting to watch visitors' initial reaction and notice that eventually everyone is attracted by the piece as it is strangely compelling in person. In fact, as related by Wikipedia, "according to postcard sales L’Origine du monde is the second most popular painting in the Musée d’Orsay, after Renoir’s Moulin de la Galette."

Not Safe for Work Link to the Painting

Jeez, I'd really be disappointed if this thread was locked - or worse, pulled. I rather like the painting, but this is a "kid friendly" Board and there are a lot of button pushers around, so please tread carefully, Mr Scrooge.

I think Bang Zoom aka Toby Tyler ran away with the circus.

Did somebody say Toby Tyler? lol

tobytyler.jpg

1881 First Edition :whistle:

I was actually gone for 10 days or so...

WELCOME BACK, BZ!!!!!

Jeez, I'd really be disappointed if this thread was locked - or worse, pulled. I rather like the painting, but this is a "kid friendly" Board and there are a lot of button pushers around, so please tread carefully, Mr Scrooge.

Made it a clickable link. Should be an appropriate compromise.

No worries (thumbs u Good solution.

No worries (thumbs u Good solution.

There's a Beckmann painting at the Art Institute of Chicago that's in a similar vein.

It's interesting to watch people's reactions to that piece. "Am I really looking at this?"

Yes, as a matter of fact, you are. So "Real Fact Comics" makes sense.

But dang man... you're a braver soul than I.

What happened?

My Internet Parental Controls wouldn't allow me to access this thread last night! (shrug)

lol

This is another Pre-Platinum example à la Pre-Kirsch sensitivity. Could have been used as a cover for Great Comics # 4 if it ever came out -

This Last of the Mohicans illustration by NC Wyeth would have made a terrific cover to one of DC's early comic books. :shy:

wyeth_last_mohicans1919.jpg