• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I can't recall seeing such a complete package that features every element of the comic book creative process from a book as early as that. Of course it wasn't published, but the majority of the published stuff ended up in the garbage, or if anything did survive, it was only the inked pages.

I believe, in the DC vault, there are photostats of a rejected early Superman -script featuring a certain K-Metal. It was written up in an issue of Alter Ego.

I believe, in the DC vault, there are photostats of a rejected early Superman -script featuring a certain K-Metal. It was written up in an issue of Alter Ego.

Online you can read all about "The Most Important Superman Story Ever Written" here: Link

Carin used to be an animator so I assume he could adapt to different styles. At the same time, Carin also acted as a shop owner since he produced several give-aways in the early '50's. So, was he simply the head of the Skilly Skoon studio that produced this sample? Maybe, but I'd sooner believe he was a one-man shop trying to market this feature and only after he'd be picked up would he hire help.

Look at this listing I found in the Catalog of Copyright Entries. Skilly Skoon

And, note who is listed immediately following Carin.

Look at this listing I found in the Catalog of Copyright Entries. Skilly Skoon

And, note who is listed immediately following Carin.

(worship) Fantastic info. I ran a search yesterday on Skilly Skoon and nothing turned up (with Yahoo! as the search engine). This clinches it then for the association with Carin (or Carino before he changed his name officially). I'm thankful for that. All I had to go by was the envelope attached to the material that addressed to:

Frank Carin

144 Northampton Dr.

White Plains, NY

The envelope is from American Artist, the Watson-Guptill publication which might still be running to this day (?). At any rate, I can't imagine that he would have submitted it to them as they didn't run (to my knowledge strips) in the mag. Maybe he re-used the envelope.

Speaking of the American Artist, I believe they ran some articles about comics in there and I will try to see which library, if any, has the content online to pull those up. It's my next project ... when I find the time.

Fun to see Carlson below Carin and the name of the company / copyright is certainly in his style lol

Found this ERB cover in one of the boxes. The rest of my Tarzan collection seems to be MIA. Hopefully I will find it at the bottom of one of the other boxes and it wasn't lifted by the burglars...er movers.

bb

4103151992_a24297fc34_b.jpg

One of Burrough's early illustrators who doesn't get much attention is P. J. Monahan.

Between the years 1913 to 1923 he painted the covers to 13 All-Story magazines that featured ERB stories.

moonmaid.jpg

May 5, 1923

I think Stahr was mentioned before on this thread but I do like his odd creature on this cover and have to show it again.

1682404426_1460d55ab4_b.jpg

wow...

look at that FACE! the way it's drawn....

ONLY in the Golden Age.

Im jealous. Born just a bit too late. It mustve been a time...to be in old enough in the early 70's, a love of comics, movie posters, and pop culture....and a job giving you steady checks every week.

man o man....

AllAmerican21GA.jpg

wow...

look at that FACE! the way it's drawn....

ONLY in the Golden Age.

Im jealous. Born just a bit too late. It mustve been a time...to be in old enough in the early 70's, a love of comics, movie posters, and pop culture....and a job giving you steady checks every week.

man o man....

4025829875_1c046007f7.jpg3844691151_ca617c1dbc_o.jpg3845469216_7b578d3286.jpg

BB, the Raggedy Ann splash you posted a while back looks like it's continuation of the same theme.

3076366354_2af77f324c_o.jpg

Looks like you are right. I didn't remember that one. I have to go back and find that issue.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

One of Burrough's early illustrators who doesn't get much attention is P. J. Monahan.

Between the years 1913 to 1923 he painted the covers to 13 All-Story magazines that featured ERB stories.

moonmaid.jpg

May 5, 1923

I think Stahr was mentioned before on this thread but I do like his odd creature on this cover and have to show it again.

1682404426_1460d55ab4_b.jpg

Wonderful images! jb