• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Was Biro in the comics biz in 1937 (when Guardineer drew that spread)? If so what was he doing?

Yup. Biro worked for Centaur with early work in 1937 with his Foxy Grandpa feature but his work appeared even earlier in Wow, what a magazine in 1936. Born in 1911, he was 25 / 26 year-old.

Before that, Biro worked in early animation, including at the Fleischer studios. In fact, Al Fago recounts his working at Audio Productions as a tracer then an in-betweener and that's where he met Charles Biro circa 1933. Biro was at Fleischer as assistant animator (30 - 32) and animator / director (32 - 36). At some point he asked Gill Fox to do some work for him at the studios. A lot of comic guys went through Fleischer, esp. since they were working out of New York before moving to Florida.

Thanks Scrooge, but it doesn't appear from this brief bio that he was in a position to p i s s off creators (at the time Guardineer drew that spread) like he would be later at Lev Gleason as editor/art director.

I'm not sure that Guardineer is referring to the same Biro...

I just thought it was a simple in-joke towards Biro. From what I read, Biro was quite a jovial guy, full of fun and energy and it would seem a definite jokester. Fago (?) I think recounted Biro driving down the road with him, hit the brakes, get to a car and take hubcaps for himself. Always ready to play it seemed.

Thanks for the further info on Biro, Scooge. Interesting stuff!

From what I read, Biro was quite a jovial guy, full of fun and energy and it would seem a definite jokester. Fago (?) I think recounted Biro driving down the road with him, hit the brakes, get to a car and take hubcaps for himself. Always ready to play it seemed.

A case in point.

charlesbiro.jpg

Loved these photos when you first posted them, BZ!!

4313879928_0da1490331_b.jpg

I really like Cole's work. He was a real cartoonist. He could tell a story in words and pictures that were really dynamic. I wish he had done a regular Sunday strip where he could really highlight all of that creativity. But we will have to be happy with his Plasticman stories and that precode horror.

There was some cool stuff in Silver Streak Comics.

Of course everyone remembers characters like Daredevil and The Claw, but how many remember Dickie Dean the Boy Inventor? lol

Here are a couple of pages from one of his zany adventures.

The other characters in Silver Streak were pretty interesting.

4313145101_ed1c9d4b0d_b.jpg

4313880056_2f90b1e33d_b.jpg

2382601338_26f2f822e3_b.jpg

The supporting characters overwhelmed the Silver Streak. Iron Jaw, Claw, Captain Battle and Daredevil are all better known than SS and Meteor or displaced them as the lead story. Batman and Superman managed to keep their supporting characters under control. Although the Joker seems to have a life of his own.

To my eye, this displays an almost Batman-"Bob Kane" like quality. hm

That's funny, I immediately thought it was Bob Kane when I first saw it.

One rumor is that Wood was an unnamed ghost for Kane from the very earliest days. I really don't have enough information to speak in any way to it's reliability. We know that Kane did considerable swiping (many early panels are from a Big Little Book) and it's possible that Wood's work in other comics was also part of his "inspiration."

Wood lived a lurid life. He was convicted of manslaughter in 1958 and served three years in prison at Sing-Sing. He died sometime around 1962 when according to Bob Fujitani: "He was drunk, walked out from behind a parked car and a truck hit him."

bobwood.jpg

Wood lived a lurid life. He was convicted of manslaughter in 1958 and served three years in prison at Sing-Sing. He died sometime around 1962 when according to Bob Fujitani: "He was drunk, walked out from behind a parked car and a truck hit him."

bobwood.jpg

Holy K R A P !