• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Just bought my first few Wings. This is the splash from #105 (and, yeah, I wish it had better PQ too):

wings_105_splash.jpg

It's splash pages like this that make me nostalgic for an era of comics that happened well before I was born.

[ 2230112638_bc63046136_b.jpg

nice ! where's this from?

I think its from Air Boy/Air Fighters. I have seen that splash before, just not sure of the issue number.

Bruce

I think it is from Air Fighters V1 #10 since it is the only early issue in my collection. Looks like one of my scans too. Roy printed it in Alter Ego.

Bruce

Black Angel stories are usually attributed to Cassone but Palais did some of them. That particular Air Fighters story reminds me of Paul Gattuso who did the Black Dwarf.

Just bought my first few Wings. This is the splash from #105 (and, yeah, I wish it had better PQ too):

wings_105_splash.jpg

:applause:

Looks like that issue has a great slate of artists: Lubbers, Evans, Whitman, Hollingsworth, Doolin, ... :D

I don't know if you read Ken Quattro's blog but you would enjoy his recent piece on board favorite E.C. Stoner. Haven't read it yet myself but figured I'd pass the info along.

E.C. Stoner, The Forgotten Trailblazer

Great piece about Stoner. :applause:

I especially got a kick out of the Gordon's Gin ad from Ebony Magazine that pictured Stoner and his wife at home. Link

Here are a few of Stoner's illustrations to jog everyone's memories about his work.

witchestales1.jpg

Witches Tales #1 (November 1936)

witchestales2.jpg

Funnies45GA.jpg

The Funnies # 45 (July 1940)

funnies46ga.jpg

The Funnies # 46 (August 1940)

Funnies47GA.jpg

The Funnies #47 (September 1940)

Funnies48GA.jpg

The Funnies #48 (October 1940)

[font:Arial Black]Some of the Rare Shadow items I recently added to my collection!![/font]

[font:Arial Black]

[font:Arial Black]1933 Shadow Blue Coal - 9 ft Canvas Advertising Banner - (Only known example in existence)[/font][/font]

Blue20Coal20Banner1.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Rare 1933 Shadow Blue Coal - Cardboard Trolley Sign (green) - 18" x 34" (Only known to example in existence!) [/font]

ShadowTrolley1934ShadowontheAir1934.jpg

ShadowTrolley1934.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Rare 1932 Shadow Blue Coal - Cardboard Trolley Sign - 18" x 34" (One of Two known examples to exist!) (light grey & burgandy)[/font]

Trolley1933.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Rare 1938 - Shadow/Blue Coal trolley sign - (double sided) - 6" x 28"[/font]

Bluecoallefta.jpg

[font:Arial Black]1930's Shadow Cape - Blue Coal Salesman - promotional item to top salespeople - mint condition (one of three known to exist!)[/font]

bluecoalsalesmansampleshadowcape-1.jpg

BluecoalsalesmansamplecapeBack-1.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight[/font]

Just incredible, Dwight. :o

You have an amazing collection. :applause:

4578228854_b73a62233b.jpg4573132140_ca432a87db.jpg

I saw this splash from Detective 79 on ebay and it reminded me of the Phantom Lady 16 splash.

One of my favorite "behind the curtain" images is Charles Peales' self-portrait from 1802.

charlespeale.jpg

"The Artist in His Museum"

4578228854_b73a62233b.jpg4573132140_ca432a87db.jpg

I saw this splash from Detective 79 on ebay and it reminded me of the Phantom Lady 16 splash.

One of my favorite "behind the curtain" images is Charles Peales' self-portrait from 1802.

charlespeale.jpg

"The Artist in His Museum"

Very cool!

2230112638_bc63046136_b.jpg

Beautiful page, BB. :applause:

Who drew that?

I mentioned this earlier but since you ask. I think, Black Angel stories are usually attributed to Cassone but Palais did some of them. That particular Air Fighters (V1 #10) story reminds me of Paul Gattuso who did the Black Dwarf.

Hillman had some great heroes. It got dull later when the stories became more realistic. I think Cassone also did Twilight and Snoopy.

4420211292_7d60236b69_o.jpg

The style looks different but I could have the wrong Clue page.

I don't know if you read Ken Quattro's blog but you would enjoy his recent piece on board favorite E.C. Stoner. Haven't read it yet myself but figured I'd pass the info along.

I especially got a kick out of the Gordon's Gin ad from Ebony Magazine that pictured Stoner and his wife at home. Link

Here are a few of Stoner's illustrations to jog everyone's memories about his work.

Funnies47GA.jpg

Those flesh colored briefs are kinky...

:bump:

Thanks, Gary. :)

I've been sick for several weeks and haven't been up to posting lately. sick.gif

No worries, BZ. It's our job to fill in when you're out. I just get a bit nervous when no one posts for 6-7 days...

I hope you're feeling a whole let better!

Funnies47GA.jpg

Those flesh colored briefs are kinky...

I think the colorist made a mistake. It should have looked like this.

3669307859_3c3f28decd.jpg3670114160_a86a12ddaa.jpg

I first thought this was some form of discrimination against Stoner but judging from the number of covers he did after these Phantasmo covers, I doubt if anyone noticed.

Edited by BB-Gun

2230112638_bc63046136_b.jpg

Beautiful page, BB. :applause:

Who drew that?

I mentioned this earlier but since you ask. I think, Black Angel stories are usually attributed to Cassone but Palais did some of them. That particular Air Fighters (V1 #10) story reminds me of Paul Gattuso who did the Black Dwarf.

Hillman had some great heroes. It got dull later when the stories became more realistic. I think Cassone also did Twilight and Snoopy.

4420211292_7d60236b69_o.jpg

The style looks different but I could have the wrong Clue page.

Perhaps Palais did the inks as he did those on Doll Man. No record of Gattuso working at Hillman.

4605757723_456d22b088_b.jpg

Scan from the Who's Who.

wings_105_splash.jpg

I think I use to like you Andrew.

Now I'm not so sure.

:jokealert:

Great book, regardless of PQ.

Just a representative sample or looking for a run? The US dollar is rather weak at the moment :baiting: