• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

3177013044_36e31482da_b.jpg

Bob Lesser owns the original art.

Bob Lesser is a lucky man.

Here is #2 (November 1938).

eeriemysteries193811.jpg

Norman Saunders

Date Stamps :cloud9:

So do you have any date stamps on double covers? That would be a quadruple treat :)

I don't think I've ever seen a double cover on a pulp magazine. (shrug)

How about on any of your comics?

eeriemysteries193811.jpg

Date Stamps :cloud9:

So do you have any date stamps on double covers? That would be a quadruple treat :)

I don't think I've ever seen a double cover on a pulp magazine. (shrug)

How about on any of your comics?

The only two I can recall offhand are...

Jeep Comics #1 (Winter 1944)

jeepcomics1.jpg

and 4 Color #862.

fc862b.jpg

Picked up a copy of this Popeye story book from the late 30s.. for $6.99. :banana:

Had a funny surprise on the inside.. an old piece of paper with handwritten names. I think that's pretty darn cool.

PopeyeMeetsHisRivalfront.jpg

PopeyeMeetsHisRivalrear.jpg

PopeyeMeetsHisRivalinsert.jpg

Edited by CheezyWhiz

Picked up a copy of this Popeye story book from the late 30s.. for $6.99. :banana:

Had a funny surprise on the inside.. an old piece of paper with handwritten names. I think that's pretty darn cool.

PopeyeMeetsHisRivalrear.jpg

PopeyeMeetsHisRivalinsert.jpg

I like it Michael :thumbsup:

Congrats on getting such a good buy. :applause:

It looks like a great book and it's one that I don't have. :cry:

Is the format the same as Popeye and his Jungle Pet?

Lovely book to have in a double cover copy! :applause:

jeepcomics1.jpg

Thanks BZ. No, the format is different. It's a very thick cardboard stock cover that wraps around and is saddle stitched like a Feature Book.

I wonder what is the earliest known example of a double cover? hm

Happy Birthday, Flee!! bestwishes.gif

The earliest double cover that I know of is Mark Zaid's More Fun #42 (April 1939).

I think this is my earliest double cover (July 1943) and it is about 4 years later than that one.

2233937137_78e6668670_b.jpg

I have a couple of others that are late forties or early fifties but nothing mint.

I meandered over to the Illustration Blog today and enjoyed their story about Tex Blaisdell's life as a cartoonist.

Tex had a long career in comics, beginning with Centaur in 1940 and ending with DC in the 80's. He also had interesting stints working on various comic strips (Popeye, Terry and the Pirates, On Stage, Little Orphan Annie, etc).

4643525340_12c484dbcf_o.jpg

Our own BB contributed some scans. This splash page is especially evocative given the current usage of the term "cougar." lol

4642922515_ac809b02ee_o.jpg

I meandered over to the Illustration Blog today and enjoyed their story about Tex Blaisdell's life as a cartoonist.

Tex had a long career in comics, beginning with Centaur in 1940 and ending with DC in the 80's. He also had interesting stints working on various comic strips (Popeye, Terry and the Pirates, On Stage, Little Orphan Annie, etc).

4643525340_12c484dbcf_o.jpg

Our own BB contributed some scans. This splash page is especially evocative given the current usage of the term "cougar." lol

4642922515_ac809b02ee_o.jpg

I think Leif does a great job on that blog and the last two articles have been particularly interesting. Li'l Abner was a gigantic hit back in the fifties and had some terrific art. Sawyer's comments about working in Capp's studio were enlightening and don't forget Alter Ego's article on Tobey publishing in the next issue or so. If you want your strip to get fair treatment then it is important to have the family own the publishing house. Good lesson to learn. Too bad Carl Barks never had that advantage.

bb

Thanks BZ. No, the format is different. It's a very thick cardboard stock cover that wraps around and is saddle stitched like a Feature Book.

Added another storybook to my collection. What a beauty!

PopeyeBorrowsaBabyNurse.jpg