• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Jack Hearne ( who drew the Four Most covers I believe):

saga.jpg

Thanks, alanna. :applause:

My favorite of the bunch was the Jack Hearne cover.

I had never heard of him so I checked GCD and found some of the comic covers he drew: Link

Hard to reconcile the tropical gear and scenery with what appears to be at least localised cold weather... just sayin'.

Another pith helmet!

real.jpg

Thanks for sharing these less common pulps. (thumbs u

tropicaladventures192805.jpg

Tropical Adventures (May 1928)

Since 2 of BZ’s 3 oddball pulps were Macfadden Publications- I looked up their history (via Wiki…) wow! Bernarr Macfadden was the father of ‘physical culture’ a combo of exercise, diet, and philosophy- he founded 'Physical Culture' magazine in 1899 and added the original reality pulp 'True Story' in 1919 full of fiction disguised as documentary. Both mags were big hits and he added 'Liberty', 'True Detective', 'True Romances', 'Dream World', 'Ghost Stories', and 'Photoplay'. Thus the 'True Strange Stories' fits in, and the 'Danger and Daring' reminds me of Gernsback’s 'Pirate Stories' from the same era. So they were a magazine powerhouse if not a big player in ‘our kind’ of pulps.

On a very different note from Macfadden- one of my favorite comics (is PB style) that may be scarce as Archie apparently won a lawsuit against MB and many copies were destroyed-recalled or some such… 1962 reprints from ‘Help’ mag: with spoofs of S*perm*n, T*rz*n, Sea Hunt, and Archie.

img525.jpg

Since 2 of BZ’s 3 oddball pulps were Macfadden Publications- I looked up their history (via Wiki…) wow! Bernarr Macfadden was the father of ‘physical culture’ a combo of exercise, diet, and philosophy- he founded 'Physical Culture' magazine in 1899 and added the original reality pulp 'True Story' in 1919 full of fiction disguised as documentary. Both mags were big hits and he added 'Liberty', 'True Detective', 'True Romances', 'Dream World', 'Ghost Stories', and 'Photoplay'. Thus the 'True Strange Stories' fits in, and the 'Danger and Daring' reminds me of Gernsback’s 'Pirate Stories' from the same era. So they were a magazine powerhouse if not a big player in ‘our kind’ of pulps.

On a very different note from Macfadden- one of my favorite comics (is PB style) that may be scarce as Archie apparently won a lawsuit against MB and many copies were destroyed-recalled or some such… 1962 reprints from ‘Help’ mag: with spoofs of S*perm*n, T*rz*n, Sea Hunt, and Archie.

img525.jpg

"Wow!" indeed! The back story to our hobby is often where the real adventure lies!

Raphael de Soto (you should have lots of pulp covers by him BZ!):

adventure001.jpg

Alanna, I notice that quite a few of the magazines you've posted have covers by artists we're familiar with. Are the stories by authors whose names we'd recognize?

Thanks for sharing these less common pulps. (thumbs u

tropicaladventures192805.jpg

Tropical Adventures (May 1928)

I 'm happy there's an audience for it. :)

All ten of us appreciate it :applause: