• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Okay here's a somewhat random ebay pick up. This old Ring magazine has a familiar name in the letter column. :)

TheRing1926-04.jpg

TheRing1926-04int.jpg

Wow!!

That's super cool, Jeff. :applause:

Has anyone ever checked other issues of Ring magazine from the same time period for additional letters written by Howard?

I have a bound volume of issues from February 1924 to January 1925 I could check.

ring.jpg

unfreakingbelievable... a collection if Ring Magazine too?

i love it Bang!

Edited by aman619

Those are cool. I've posted them somewhere but I forget where. Maybe my Tip Top Thread? I've heard about this supposed strip in Tip Top 9 as well, but I can't find it. None of the strips on the contest page are by Davis. :shrug:

It even shows up on his Wikipedia page. hm

It looks the Wikipedia page may be the source of the rumor. I did find this, but the blog it was posted at says that it's from a 1939 issue of Tip Top (number 9 is Dec 1936).

blog_davis.jpg

So there is another Davis strip in Tip Top, but it's not in #9. I just went through my copy again just to make sure there wasn't another contest page that I missed. The font of the submitters names is very different than the early issues which has the names left justified and in a much smaller size.

Has anyone ever checked other issues of Ring magazine from the same time period for additional letters written by Howard?

I have a bound volume of issues from February 1924 to January 1925 I could check.

not to go off on a tangent here, but does anyone have issues of Ring or other boxing mags from late 1936 or early 1937? my grandfather had a short-lived but lively boxing career and I'd like to see if he was featured anywhere.

not to go off on a tangent here, but does anyone have issues of Ring or other boxing mags from late 1936 or early 1937? my grandfather had a short-lived but lively boxing career and I'd like to see if he was featured anywhere.

I have a bunch of Ring Record Books from various years--not sure if I have any from the late 30's though. What was your grandfather's name? I'll see what I can find.

ring.jpg

That's the only letter that is known, but he had a poem published in a 1928 issue. If you find another one that would be a very big deal, inded and I know a lot of REH scholars that would be very excited about it.

I checked my magazines.

Not only are there no letters from Robert Howard, those issues don't even have letter columns.

The December issue, however, had the following ad which I suspect may have caught Howard's eye.

ringad4.jpg

It looks the Wikipedia page may be the source of the rumor. I did find this, but the blog it was posted at says that it's from a 1939 issue of Tip Top (number 9 is Dec 1936).

blog_davis.jpg

So there is another Davis strip in Tip Top, but it's not in #9. I just went through my copy again just to make sure there wasn't another contest page that I missed. The font of the submitters names is very different than the early issues which has the names left justified and in a much smaller size.

It's fun looking at the winner's lists of those contests.

I just looked at a few Tip Top Comics I had sitting on a shelf nearby and among the winners are Warren Tufts, Chic Stone, George Ward, and Mort Walker.

In issue #40, Mort Walker not only submitted the winning cartoon, he also received two honorable mentions.

This guy has an interesting name.

ring192512.jpg

lol That's great!

I'm sure REH probably submitted stories to the Ring. His first few successful sales in the 20's outside of Weird Tales were all boxing stories. Here is the poem he had published in the June 1928 issue of The Ring.

Kid Lavigne is Dead

Hang up the battered gloves; Lavigne is dead.

Bold and erect he went into the dark.

The crown is withered and the crowds are fled,

The empty ring stands bare and lone—yet hark:

The ghostly roar of many a phantom throng

Floats down the dusty years, forgotten long.

Hot blazed the lights above the crimson ring

Where there he reigned in his full prime, a king.

The throngs’ acclaim roared up beneath their sheen

And whispered down the night: "Lavigne! Lavigne!"

Red splashed the blood and fierce the crashing blows.

Men staggered to the mat and reeling rose.

Crowns glittered there in splendour, won or lost,

And bones were shattered as the sledges crossed.

Swift as a leopard, strong and fiercely lean,

Champions knew the prowess of Lavigne.

The giant dwarf Joe Walcott saw him loom

And broken, bloody, reeled before his doom.

Handler and Everhardt and rugged Burge

Saw at the last his snarling face emerge

From bloody mists that veiled their dimming sight

Ere they sank down into unlighted night.

Strong men and bold, lay vanquished at his feet.

Mighty was he in triumph and defeat.

Far fade the echoes of the ringside’s cheers

And all is lost in mists of dust-dead years.

Cold breaks the dawn; the East is ghastly red.

Hand up the broken gloves; Lavigne is dead.

I'd never read that poem before.

Thanks for posting it.

From Wikipedia:

Kid Lavigne

Real name George Henry Lavigne

Nickname(s) The Saginaw Kid

Rated at Lightweight

Height 5 ft 3 in (1.60 m)

Nationality United States

Born December 6, 1869(1869-12-06)

Michigan

Died March 9, 1928(1928-03-09) (aged 58)

Stance Southpaw

Boxing record

Total fights 55

Wins 36

Wins by KO 20

Losses 8

Draws 9

No contests 2

George Henry "Kid" Lavigne (December 6, 1869 - March 9, 1928) was an American boxer from Michigan. He was the second American boxer to hold the lightweight champion, winning the title on June 1, 1896.

Pro career: Kid Lavigne became a professional boxer in 1886 and was undefeated going 31-0-6-2 in his first 40 fights.

He fought Andy Bowen in 1894 and beat him by knockout. The next morning Andy Bowen never woke up and was pronounced dead. The injuries sustained during the fight was from when Lavigne hit Bowen and knocked him down. Bowen's head hit the "canvas" which was made out of wood at the time. At first Lavigne was arrested for the death of Bowen but was found to be innocent of any wrongdoing.

In 1896 Lavigne won the lightweight championship in London against Burge by a technical knockout. He successfully defended his title six times, including against Joe Walcott in 1897, a fight he won by technical knockout. He lost the title to Frank Erne in 1899.

Before he lost his title, however, he fought Mysterious Billy Smith for the welterweight title but lost due to his brother entering the ring during the match.

He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1998.

Death: Lavigne died in Detroit, Michigan, of heart disease in 1928

I have a bunch of Ring Record Books from various years--not sure if I have any from the late 30's though. What was your grandfather's name? I'll see what I can find.

Jack Torrance. heavyweight. fights between Dec 1936 and August 1937.

Thanks in advance :foryou:

Jack Torrance is also the father's name in King's The Shining.

I apologize for the intrusion.

Jack Torrance. heavyweight. fights between Dec 1936 and August 1937.

Thanks in advance :foryou:

Jack Torrance is also the father's name in King's The Shining.

I apologize for the intrusion.

No wonder it seemed familiar. hm

And Bill, you're always welcome. We're all friendly and stuff here in the GA forum. :hi:

Found out a little about Jack Torrance the boxer. He did have a short but interesting career. He was a big guy---6'5" and 260lb. Started out fighting in New Orleans, went 3-0---all first round KOs---before losing to an up-and-coming Abe Simon in NY. Simon went on to challenger Jou Louis for the title twice (KO'd both times). Jack continued to fight in the NY/NJ area. He won three more fights but lost again in a fight in DC and then he gave up boxing.

According to his bio page on the Louisianna Sports Hall of fame page he also held the world record for the shotput prior to becoming a boxer and competed in the 1936 Olympics. He then went on to play for the Chicago Bears after his boxing career ended. Very cool story sounds like he was an amazing athlete.

Here's a pic of him in action:

JackTorrance.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

That's him! (the athlete, not the crazed caretaker (:

I've found a few mentions of him in comics and lots of illustrations from the sports pages. Does anyone know of an index for sports pulps or magazines from this era?

Here's something from Magic Comics #29 that I ran across:

Magic%252520029-17%252520jt.jpg

I'm sure REH probably submitted stories to the Ring.

I like to look through pulp story collections for Amazon Kindle because there are lots of big story collections for a few bucks (and I've read several of my HPL and REH paperback collections to tatters, so it's nice to have them digitally in this case). There's a REH boxing collection I've been meaning to get around to.

generic user's quest to find stories/info on his grandfather is interesting also, as I often see the sports one-pagers in golden age DC's, about college and pro athletes of the day who are little-known now, and wonder about the context. An index of that kind of material would be pretty cool.

I'd never read that poem before.

Thanks for posting it.

From Wikipedia:

Kid Lavigne

Pro career: Kid Lavigne became a professional boxer in 1886 and was undefeated going 31-0-6-2 in his first 40 fights.

I am glad to see that Wiki posters are still up on their counting and addition skills.