• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

nice! seems to be a scarce omnibus edition of the first 4 novels... You should get the jacket into a holder (archival Brodart or equivalent) with dog ears unfurled etc. I'd say 70 to several hun on retail value- there were no copies for sale online (with DJ) so hard to comp, but that says something in itself... well done!

Edited by pcalhoun

thanks guys. i tried looking also for a price with DJ and came up with nothing. thats ok though cuz i dont plan on selling it anytime soon. and book and DJ are both in covers. does anyone know of any reprints that are newer than 1929. i really want to read it but i dont want to damage it. ive tried looking but came up empty.

thanks guys. i tried looking also for a price with DJ and came up with nothing. thats ok though cuz i dont plan on selling it anytime soon. and book and DJ are both in covers. does anyone know of any reprints that are newer than 1929. i really want to read it but i dont want to damage it. ive tried looking but came up empty.

There are some reprints out there in the form of ombibus. You can run a search on Amazon and they should turn up.

Otherwise, you can read all 4 stories included in your book at Project Gutenberg -

Sax Rohmer

Speaking of Conan...

What did Conan the Barbarian do after he's too old to go destroyin' things? Why, he went on to become a Professor of Hyborian Studies and Tyrant Slaying at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, of course. From MSNBC:

Trinity College in Dublin was spoofed Thursday when an unknown prankster posted an academic profile of its newest English lecturer: a certain Conan T. Barbarian, complete with Hollywood mug shot of a shirtless, sword-clad Arnold Schwarzenegger in his maiden film role.

Trinity removed the parody site — but not before dozens of fans had archived the Web page of the mock biography and turned it into an Irish viral sensation.

Trinity spokeswoman Caoimhe Ni Lochlainn said the university had never had its Web site disrupted like this before. She confirmed that Trinity was certain it was an inside job, not the work of a hacker.

Here's the description of Prof. Conan T. Barbarian (thank goodness for Google cache!):

Dr Conan T. Barbarian, B.A.(Cimmeria) Ph.D. (UCD). F.T.C.D.

Long Room Hub Associate Professor in Hyborian Studies and Tyrant Slaying.

Dr Conan T. Barbarian was ripped from his mother’s womb on the corpse-strewn battlefields of his war-torn homeland, Cimmeria, and has been preparing for academic life ever since. A firm believer in the dictum that “that which does not kill us makes us stronger,” he took time out to avenge the death of his parents following a sojourn pursuing his strong interest in Post-Colonial theory at the Sorbonne. In between, he spent several years tethered to the fearsome “Wheel of Pain”, time which he now feels helped provide him with the mental discipline and sado-masochistic proclivities necessary to sucessfully tackle contemporary critical theory. He completed his PhD, entitled “To Hear The Lamentation of Their Women: Constructions of Masculinity in Contemporary Zamoran Literature” at UCD and was appointed to the School of English in 2006, after sucessfully decapitating his predecessor during a bloody battle which will long be remembered in legend and song. In 2011/12, he will be teaching on the following courses: “The Relevance of Crom in the Modern World”, “Theories of Literature”, “Vengeance for Beginners”, “Deciphering the Riddle of Steel” and “D.H. Lawrence”. He strongly objects to the terms of the Croke Park agreement and the current trend for remaking 1980s films that he believes were perfectly good enough in the first place.

He is happy to hear from potential research students with an interest of any of these topics, but applicants should note that anyone found guilty of academic misconduct or weakness in the face of the enemy will be crucified as an example to the others.

Happy Birthday, Willy ! O Master of Chicken Fat !!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia William Elder (September 22, 1921 – May 15, 2008)

Elder's signature style, with extra humorous detail added upon humorous detail, is routinely described as "chicken fat," a reference to soup preparation. As Elder told an interviewer, "The term just came out of what we both [Kurtzman and Elder] knew were the parts of the strip that gave it more flavor but did very little to advance the storyline. That's what Chicken Fat does...it advances the flavor of the soup and, as we all know now, too much chicken fat will kill you!"

img813.jpg

I am particularly fond of Severin & Elder's art for Prize Western.

PrizeWest88colorgd.jpg

My favorite works of Elder were his humor strips in Mad.

These examples are from the Goodman Beaver series that appeared in Help magazine.

From Wikipedia:

Elder collaborated frequently throughout his career with Kurtzman. After leaving Mad in 1957, the two worked together on a string of short-lived humor magazines: Trump, Humbug and Help!. For Help!, Elder and Kurtzman created Goodman Beaver, a well-meaning naif whose trust in human nature and goodness were forever being undercut. One installment depicted the characters of Archie Comics as thoughtless hedonists, and was titled "Goodman Beaver Goes Playboy!". This parody resulted in a lawsuit from Archie Comics. Kurtzman and Elder had previously irritated the Archie publisher with a parody in Mad ("Starchie!"). Archie Comics ended up with possession of the story's copyright. When the full Goodman Beaver series was reprinted by Kitchen Sink Press, the story could not legally be included. However, after Archie Comics failed to renew its copyright, the original "Goodman Beaver Goes Playboy!" went into public domain and was published in Fantagraphics' Comics Journal. Elder later talked to The Comics Journal about the Goodman Beaver series, saying, "It was the best thing I ever did."

elder1.jpg

elder2.jpg

The complete "Goodman Goes Playboy" story can be read here: Link

I've never seen that comic before. Let alone one as nice and beautiful as that one. Very unusual art and color scheme.

It a good example of how many wonderful books are out there, mostly ignored, despite being quite inexpensive.