• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

THat's a great copy as well, David. I really need to get one of these. It's too bad the Jerry Weist one is a 2nd state.

I haven't been able to locate a easy definition of the difference between "edition" and "state".

THat's a great copy as well, David. I really need to get one of these. It's too bad the Jerry Weist one is a 2nd state.

I haven't been able to locate a easy definition of the difference between "edition" and "state".

A new edition of a book generally has substanitive changes. A different state is just a minor change. In the case of TotA the first edition has three known states. The second state has a gilt acorn added to the spine. The third state has a font change for the printer's name on the copyright page.

Was pleased to find this amongst the magazines in a recent collection I found

hannesboksketchbook.jpg

Great find Bill! :applause:

Thanks Jeff. Lots of biographical information about the artist included as well. Much of which I didn't know about

A.C. McClurg printed a total of 10,000 first edition copies of "Tarzan of the Apes", with approximately 5000 of the 1st state, 2500 of the 2nd state, and 2500 of the 3rd state.

The book shown below is the 1st state, first edition.

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

Wonderful looking copy BZ!

Here's mine...

erb044.jpg

I noticed that both of these beautiful copies have no dust jacket. Did the book come with one?

Copies in jacket are extrememly rare. I've heard estimates that less than 50 djs survive. Here is the one from the HA archives:

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6025&lotNo=37120

Yep it's a second state (which is still nice!)

I don't much like the way Heritage has this stated in their description, a general collector wouldn't catch that it's a second state:

A. C. McClurg & Co., 1914. First edition, with "Published June, 1914" on copyright page. Currey priority B1 binding (red cloth with acorn device on spine); printing priority A ("W. F. Hall Printing Co. / Chicago") in Old English -script on two lines on copyright page. Octavo. 400 pages. Publisher's red binding; no dust jacket.

A new edition of a book generally has substanitive changes. A different state is just a minor change. In the case of TotA the first edition has three known states. The second state has a gilt acorn added to the spine. The third state has a font change for the printer's name on the copyright page.

Does the publisher go back to the presses for each state?

Does the publisher go back to the presses for each state?

A different state is usually a change made during the same print run, often to correct a mistake. Here are some definitions from the ABAA website:|

Edition & Printing edition includes the copies of a book or other printed material which originate from the same plates or setting of type. If 500 copies of a book are printed on Oct. 5 and 300 copies are printed from the same substantially unchanged plates on Dec. 10, all 800 copies are part of the same edition. Printing: the copies of a book or other printed material which originate from the same press run or from the same plates or setting of type at one time. In the example given for "Edition" above, the 500 copies would be the first printing and the 300 copies comprise the second printing. In the 19th century some publishers labeled later printings as if they were later editions, i.e. a second printing would be called a "second edition" on the copyright page.

State: a portion of a printing with changes such as minor alterations to the text either intentional or accidental; insertion of cancels, advertisements, or insertions; copies on different paper without intention of creating a searate issue; and other changes other than folding or collating or binding. An example would be when a pressman discovers battered or broken type, stops the presses and resets that portion of the page by replacing the broken type and then resumes the printing. (see also first edition, cancel, issue, and variant).

kinda off-topic, but I didn't see anywhere else to put this and it isn't worth starting a new thread, so here ya' go:

Tip Top Comics, the E.C. artist nursery :grin:

A Jack Davis strip from Tip Top #32:

Tip%252520Top%252520032-57%252520Jack%252520Davis.jpg

and a Harvey Kurtzman gag panel from Tip Top #36:

Tip%252520Top%252520036-56%252520Kurtzman.jpg

There is supposed to be another Davis strip in Tip Top #9, but I don't have that one. Anyone?

kinda off-topic, but I didn't see anywhere else to put this and it isn't worth starting a new thread, so here ya' go:

Tip Top Comics, the E.C. artist nursery :grin:

A Jack Davis strip from Tip Top #32:

Tip%252520Top%252520032-57%252520Jack%252520Davis.jpg

and a Harvey Kurtzman gag panel from Tip Top #36:

Tip%252520Top%252520036-56%252520Kurtzman.jpg

There is supposed to be another Davis strip in Tip Top #9, but I don't have that one. Anyone?

Those are cool. I've posted them somewhere but I forget where. Maybe my Tip Top Thread? I've heard about this supposed strip in Tip Top 9 as well, but I can't find it. None of the strips on the contest page are by Davis. :shrug:

...here's the ERB bio page from Tip Top #7:

Tip%252520Top%252520007-58.jpg

Thanks for the scan. :applause:

GA comics have lots of neat stuff tucked inside them.

I found this ad in Tip Top #40.

tiptop40_bc.jpg

I wonder if they really had cartoonists doing chalk talks at the the Fair?

macys3.jpg

...here's the ERB bio page from Tip Top #7:

Tip%252520Top%252520007-58.jpg

Thanks for the scan. :applause:

GA comics have lots of neat stuff tucked inside them.

I found this ad in Tip Top #40.

tiptop40_bc.jpg

I wonder if they really had cartoonists doing chalk talks at the the Fair?

macys3.jpg

That's cool. I wonder if they really had Foster there. hm

Okay here's a somewhat random ebay pick up. This old Ring magazine has a familiar name in the letter column. :)

TheRing1926-04.jpg

TheRing1926-04int.jpg

Wow!!

That's super cool, Jeff. :applause:

Has anyone ever checked other issues of Ring magazine from the same time period for additional letters written by Howard?

I have a bound volume of issues from February 1924 to January 1925 I could check.

ring.jpg

Wow!!

That's super cool, Jeff. :applause:

Has anyone ever checked other issues of Ring magazine from the same time period for additional letters written by Howard?

I have a bound volume of issues from February 1924 to January 1925 I could check.

ring.jpg

That's the only letter that is known, but he had a poem published in a 1928 issue. If you find another one that would be a very big deal, inded and I know a lot of REH scholars that would be very excited about it.

Sweet bound volume! :applause: