• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm trying to catch up on this thread, is there an easier way for me to get to a specific page instead of just clicking every 5 or so pages? Btw incredible books and thread BangZoom!! Glad to see you're still around here!

in the address bar at the top of your screen, once you are on a page (say page 2) replace the 2 with page 455 or whatever one you want to go to, hit enter

I'm trying to catch up on this thread, is there an easier way for me to get to a specific page instead of just clicking every 5 or so pages? Btw incredible books and thread BangZoom!! Glad to see you're still around here!

in the address bar at the top of your screen, once you are on a page (say page 2) replace the 2 with page 455 or whatever one you want to go to, hit enter

(worship)

Today was the birthday of cartoonist, Roger Armstrong (1917-2007).

He worked for Dell Comics for over 20 years illustrating hundreds of stories featuring characters such as Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny, Mary Jane and Sniffles, Pluto, Scamp, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, etc.

He was also the uncredited artist for several newspaper strips, including: Ella Cinders, Little Lulu, Napoleon and Uncle Elby, and Walt Disney's Scamp comic strip (1978-1988).

armstrong4.jpg

I like those early Bugs and Porky stories. The Dreadful Dragon story is a little unusual isn't it. Is it written by Armstrong as well?

Here is a bunch that I didn't get from Wally.

6267693640_341126c6d9_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

armstrong4.jpg

I like those early Bugs and Porky stories. The Dreadful Dragon story is a little unusual isn't it. Is it written by Armstrong as well?

Looking at the Bugs Bunny page above, I've noticed that I accidentally posted a page drawn by Ralph Heimdahl and not Roger Armstrong. doh!

What I intended to post was this page which is from another story in the same issue.

piratestreasure1.jpg

BB, In answer to your question: I don't know if Armstrong scripted any Bugs Bunny stories for Dell. The only Four Color writing credits GCD has credited to him are stories in #227 (The Seven Dwarfs and Humpty Dumpty) and #526 (Napoleon).

busy day but if I snake in with a couple of images from the web I can still fire off a birthday salute to Edmond Hamilton (1904-1977). Other writers may have attained greater literary polish or delved deeper into nuances of character, but Edmond Hamilton was Mr Sense of Wonder, spanning galaxies and eons with equal panache in a profusion of stories and novels through a career that seemed to define 'the Golden Age of SF'.

AstoundingStoriesSeptember1931500.jpg

captf-s.jpg

Well, I finally completed a set of comics on my wantlist -- the Lev Gleason Cruelty Collection. This set of three comics show Charles Biro's art at its most mean-spirited and unintentionally laughable. The comics are Crime and Punishment #2, Crime Does Not Pay #58, and (FBI in Action) Justice #8. Here they are in all their black-hearted glory:

levgleason-cruelty.jpg

Well, I finally completed a set of comics on my wantlist -- the Lev Gleason Cruelty Collection. This set of three comics show Charles Biro's art at its most mean-spirited and unintentionally laughable.

Congrats on the additions to your collection. :applause:

There's no question about it, Biro was responsible for some of the most wicked covers ever.

Typical Biro...

cdnp43.jpg

Crime Does Not Pay #43 (January 1946)

busy day but if I snake in with a couple of images from the web I can still fire off a birthday salute to Edmond Hamilton (1904-1977).

Other writers may have attained greater literary polish or delved deeper into nuances of character,

but Edmond Hamilton was Mr Sense of Wonder, spanning galaxies and eons with equal panache in a profusion of stories

and novels through a career that seemed to define 'the Golden Age of SF'.

AstoundingStoriesSeptember1931500.jpg

2453023714_58273a504c_z.jpg

Great covers on those stories too.

according to the Internet SF Database 'Bertram Russell' was pseudo for L. H. Hardingham. Simple research unearthed nothing more...

weird_tales_192905.jpg

Knowing Russell's real name doesn't help us too much does it?

I wonder if he wrote under any other names?

Anyway, here's another, bigger scan of the cover illustration for all to enjoy.

weirdtales192905.jpg

C.C. Senf

Synopsis of the story: "The Scourge of B'Moth"