• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Robert E. Howard wrote much more than fantasy stories. His western stories were among the best ever written. And who can forget the hilarious adventures of Breckinridge Elkins.

REHHeroesofBearCreek.jpg

I completely agree! If you haven't read the Breck stories you're missing out. Over the top violence in humorous tall tale style. Think Pecos Bill meets Kill Bill. I'm actually giving a paper on the Breckinridge Elkins stories at the pulp studies area at the PCA/ACA conference in April.

The Action Stories issues with the Breck stories are nearly impossible and I haven't managed to get one yet, but i did pick up this Star Western last year. The story here was originally entitled "An Elkins Never Forgets" but apparently it went unsold to Action Stories. So Howard rewrote it, changing the title to "The Curly Wolf of Sawtooth" and renamed the main protagonist Bearfield Elston.

StarWestern1936-09.jpg

StarWestern1936-09int.jpg

The first appearance of Conan was in the December, 1932 issue of Weird Tales.

weirdtales193212.jpg

The interior title page and the first ever image of Conan. I love seeing the Nemedian Chronicles passage in its appearance in print.

WeirdTales1932-12int01.jpg

I love seeing this copy every time you post it. :cloud9:

The first appearance of Conan was in the December, 1932 issue of Weird Tales.

weirdtales193212.jpg

One last fun item. This is the original art for the Postal cancellation stamp from the 2010 Howard Days. It's by Jim and Ruth Keegan who do the Two-Gun Bob backup feature in the Dark Horse conan series and who have done the artwork for a number of Howard books by Del Rey and the REH foundation. This hangs in my foyer and is the first thing anyone sees when they enter my house. Amazingly it was my wife's idea to hang it there. :)

REHPostalFramed2.jpg

2286892784_9df029f055_o.jpg

2286105535_0187046da3_o.jpg

2286912088_e6faf0edb8_o.jpg

I found about a year's worth of Mickey Mouse strips from 1943 in an old scrap book. Even the mouse was brought into the war against the Nazis. Interesting to see I think. Black Pete was also on the other side. I knew he was a bad guy.

BB

This is from a few years ago in the thread but WOW! I love old Mickey Mouse and I'd never seen strips like these. Thought I'd give these strips a bump again!

:cloud9:

One last fun item. This is the original art for the Postal cancellation stamp from the 2010 Howard Days. It's by Jim and Ruth Keegan who do the Two-Gun Bob backup feature in the Dark Horse conan series and who have done the artwork for a number of Howard books by Del Rey and the REH foundation. This hangs in my foyer and is the first thing anyone sees when they enter my house. Amazingly it was my wife's idea to hang it there. :)

REHPostalFramed2.jpg

:applause:

REHPostalFramed2.jpg

Very cool. :applause:

Does Cross Plains have a different cancellation stamp every year?

This is from a few years ago in the thread but WOW! I love old Mickey Mouse and I'd never seen strips like these. Thought I'd give these strips a bump again!

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories later reprinted some of that storyline.

wdcs46.jpg

WDC&S #46 (July 1944)