• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

donfreeman4.jpg

That one is easily my favorite of all the images you posted :thumbsup:

Here's another interesting link - Eugen Sandow & the Golden Age Strongmen

Wonderful website with an overview of those Strong Men that both Siegel and Shuster read about in the pages of the Men Fitness (or Physical Culture as it was called in those days) magazine they so liked. The articles do not always emphasize those feats each of the strong men were known for ... but in hindsight, recalling quite a few of the Supes covers, one can clearly see the inspiration. Heck, Sandow himself was known to do the breaking off chains bit and each of these guys was either known for some lifts (horse, car, people, etc ..) or other feats such as human bridge, ...

Oh, and check out Sandow's wikipedia page for an amazing movie of him going through a flexing routine ... from 1894!!

I'll give credits to issue # 36 of True Comics for putting me onto the trail of Strong Men. (Thanks Jim :thumbsup: )

Edited by Scrooge

Here's another interesting link - Eugen Sandow & the Golden Age Strongmen

Wonderful website with an overview of those Strong Men that both Siegel and Shuster read about in the pages of the Men Fitness (or Physical Culture as it was called in those days) magazine they so liked. The articles do not always emphasize those feats each of the strong men were known for ... but in hindsight, recalling quite a few of the Supes covers, one can clearly see the inspiration. Heck, Sandow himself was known to do the breaking off chains bit and each of these guys was either known for some lifts (horse, car, people, etc ..) or other feats such as human bridge, ...

Oh, and check out Sandow's wikipedia page for an amazing movie of him going through a flexing routine ... from 1894!!

Fantastic link.

Thanks, Scrooge. :applause:

I would like to direct everyones attention to Bernarr Macfadden.

Macfadden was probably one of the most famous practioners of the physical culture lifestyle and even published a magazine by that name.

Macfadden is pictured on the cover of the February 1909 issue of Physical Culture, and on the exercise chart that was included with the magazine.

physicalculture.jpg

He is also known for having been the founder of a publishing empire which at one point included the famous science fiction pulp, Amazing Stories.

From Wikipedia:

Macfadden founded Physical Culture magazine in 1899, and was editor up to the August 1912 issue. Aided by long-time Supervising Editor Fulton Oursler, Macfadden eventually grew a publishing empire, including Liberty, True Detective, True Story, True Romances, Dream World, Ghost Stories, the once-familiar movie magazine Photoplay, and the tabloid newspaper, The New York Graphic. Macfadden's magazines included SPORT, a preeminent sports magazine prior to Time, Inc.'s Sports Illustrated.

Ghost Stories was a nod in the direction of the rapidly growing field of pulp magazines, though it was a large-size magazine that preserved Macfadden's confessional style for most of its stories. In 1928, Macfadden made more overt moves into the pulps with, for example, Red Blooded Stories (1928-29), Flying Stories (1928-29), and Tales of Danger and Daring (1929). These were all unsuccessful. In 1929, Macfadden underwrote Harold Hersey's pulp chain, the Good Story Magazine Company. Macfadden titles like Ghost Stories and Flying Stories continued as Good Story publications. Other intended Macfadden pulps, like Thrills of the Jungle (1929) and Love and War Stories (1930), originated as Good Story magazines. In 1931, Macfadden purchased the assets of the Mackinnon-Fly magazine publishers, which gave him the pioneering sci-fi pulp Amazing Stories, and several other titles; they were published under the Teck Publications imprint.

For more about Macfadden Publications check out: Macfadden Publications

donfreeman4.jpg

That one is easily my favorite of all the images you posted :thumbsup:

That drawing reminds me of the greased pole event I photographed during the 4th of July festivities in the small town of Lewes, Delaware about 25 years ago.

greasedpole1.jpg

greasedpole2.jpg

And speaking of Jules Engel [...]

As a grad student, I attended a talk by Mr. Engel at MIT's Media Lab. He was over 90 at the time but flew out from California to give the 2 hour lecture. He was extremely sharp and had an amazing passion for abstract animations with a very narrow, intellectual audience. When someone asked him about his work on Roger McGee and the other cartoon characters, he quickly brushed it aside by stating firmly that all this work was entirely to make a living so he could pursue the more artsy and abstract work that he clearly cared passionately about. Although all of the animations that he showed went way above my head, I left the talking thinking how wonderful it was when someone managed to find a way to use their gifts and pursue their true passion in life for so many years. Just the fact that he would travel across the country to share his work with students at his age seemed pretty remarkable.