• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I've not seen that book before BZ, but I LOVE that movie. The first time I saw it as a kid I was stunned to see comic books, particularly bat-related characters, portrayed so prominently by A list stars. I still get warm and fuzzy when I see it on cable once in a while

To this day I get a kick whenever I spot a comic book featured in an old movie or TV show.

My last couple of sightings were discovered in two episodes of 77 Sunset Strip which is available for viewing on the Warner Bros Archive channel.

A make believe title was prominently displayed in several scenes of "Eyewitness" which originally aired on February 13, 1959. The show featured a very young Jay North as the star.

eyewitness.jpg

And what appears to be a Bugs Bunny or Porky Pig comic can be seen in "The Missing Daddy Caper." This episode was originally broadcast November 11th 1961.

themissingdaddy.jpg

I've not seen that book before BZ, but I LOVE that movie. The first time I saw it as a kid I was stunned to see comic books, particularly bat-related characters, portrayed so prominently by A list stars. I still get warm and fuzzy when I see it on cable once in a while

To this day I get a kick whenever I spot a comic book featured in an old movie or TV show.

My last couple of sightings were discovered in two episodes of 77 Sunset Strip which is available for viewing on the Warner Bros Archive Instant channel.

A make believe title was prominently displayed in several scenes of "Eyewitness" which originally aired on February 13, 1959. The show featured a very young Jay North as the star.

eyewitness.jpg

And what appears to be a Bugs Bunny or Porky Pig comic can be seen in "The Missing Daddy Caper." This episode was originally broadcast November 11th 1961.

themissingdaddy.jpg

Cool indeed. I haven't watched Leave it to Beaver in ages, and I don't specifically remember an episode that had funnybooks in it. But it sure seemed like a natural fit to have some.

I was channel surfing over the weekend and landed on some modern romantic comedy movie. Landed there long enough to hear the guy explaining to the girl that his Amazing Spider-man #129 was the first Punisher and how important it was. That was kind of cool, and a lucky pause from surfing

Thanks for posting the link. :applause:

I'd never heard of Lucien Rudaux so the profile about him was very educational to me.

lucianrudaux3.jpg

The first science artist to draw accurate pictures of Mars and the Moon

Although largely unknown today, astronomer-artist Lucien Rudaux was the grandfather of all modern space art. During the height of his career in the 1920s and 30s, he produced spacescapes of such accuracy that they still hold up well even today.

Originally a commercial illustrator, Rudaux was also a passionate amateur astronomer. In 1892, at the age of 18, he joined the French astronomical society. He was among the first ever to observe a solar flare in white light and published numerous reports of this and his many other observations in the society's bulletin between 1892 and 1914.

Rudaux built his own private observatory near the coast of Normandy. Using its 4-inch reflector, he created pioneering photographs of the moon and planets as well as a photographic atlas of the Milky Way. Meanwhile, he produced countless books and magazine articles, usually accompanied by his skilful illustrations. These were translated and reprinted all over the globe. Some of his articles bore sensational titles such as "When the Moon Breaks Up", with appropriately apocalyptic artwork.

His masterwork, however, was a 1937 coffee-table volume called "Sur les Autres Mondes" (On Other Worlds). It featured more than 400 illustrations, including 20 full-page color paintings. Never before had readers seen such an accurate and spectacular depiction of the worlds of the solar system. So accurate were his paintings that many of them look as though they were done last year instead of more than 70 years ago.

lucianrudaux2.jpg

lucianrudaux1.jpg

I was channel surfing over the weekend and landed on some modern romantic comedy movie. Landed there long enough to hear the guy explaining to the girl that his Amazing Spider-man #129 was the first Punisher and how important it was. That was kind of cool, and a lucky pause from surfing

That was from Coyote Ugly

And, yes, :blush:

I was watching the closing credits of a 77 Sunset Strip episode this morning and was surprised to see that Bill Finger was the co-writer of the story. I wasn't aware that Finger had ever written for television.

"Reserved for Mr. Bailey" December 8, 1961

billfinger.jpg

I found an interview with Finger's co-writer online.

Link

That was from Coyote Ugly

And, yes, :blush:

No need for :blush: Sean, truth be told I stayed a little longer on the film as there were some rather attractive cast members :)

My last couple of sightings were discovered in two episodes of 77 Sunset Strip which is available for viewing on the Warner Bros Archive channel.

eyewitness.jpg

themissingdaddy.jpg

Those are fun, thanks for sharing. I had one of those surprise moments recently when I watched "Funny Face".

I was watching the closing credits of a 77 Sunset Strip episode this morning and was surprised to see that Bill Finger was the co-writer of the story. I wasn't aware that Finger had ever written for television.

"Reserved for Mr. Bailey" December 8, 1961

billfinger.jpg

I found an interview with Finger's co-writer online.

Link

Pretty good interview BZ and interesting comments about Bill Finger's life. He was mistreated by DC big time. Even Siegel and Shuster were treated better than Bill. Shuster was a victim of poor health in his later years but did get some compensation from DC.

Edited by BB-Gun

just in-

For the first few years (in the early-mid 1950s), before specializing in romance, Harlequin Books published PBs in all genres, from offices in Winnepeg (later Toronto). Interestingly, the company is now owned (since 1981) by the Toronto Star, publishers of the newspaper where many Fearn novels first saw print. This 1958 entry (cover by Norm Eastman) is #3 in the series.

img504.jpg

just in-

For the first few years (in the early-mid 1950s), before specializing in romance, Harlequin Books published PBs in all genres, from offices in Winnepeg (later Toronto). Interestingly, the company is now owned (since 1981) by the Toronto Star, publishers of the newspaper where many Fearn novels first saw print. This 1958 entry (cover by Norm Eastman) is #3 in the series.

img504.jpg

Very cool. :applause:

I didn't realize Eastman had ever done covers for Harlequin.

His name is only known to me because of all the covers he did for men's adventure magazines in the 1960's.

Link

Link