• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

To this day I get a kick whenever I spot a comic book featured in an old movie or TV show.

Saw "The Good Humor Man" (1950) the other day. It features Jack Carson, a club of Captain Marvel-obsessed kids, and some "ahead of it's time" product placement from Fawcett!

Here's what the well-dressed Big Red Cheese fan was wearing back in the day.

vlcsnap-2013-12-18-18h39m29s75.png

Naturally there's a Captain Marvel comic book too in several scenes - but is this an actual issue, or a prop?

vlcsnap-2013-12-18-18h36m27s151.png

Saw "The Good Humor Man" (1950) the other day. It features Jack Carson, a club of Captain Marvel-obsessed kids, and some "ahead of it's time" product placement from Fawcett!

Naturally there's a Captain Marvel comic book too in several scenes - but is this an actual issue, or a prop?

Thanks for posting. :applause:

I don't recognize that Captain Marvel cover. hm

I guess it was a prop. ???

I wonder why they would do that?

Thanks for posting. :applause:

I don't recognize that Captain Marvel cover. hm

I guess it was a prop. ???

I wonder why they would do that?

Copyright infringement?

3176582273_863576a63e_o.jpg

I couldn't find it either but I thought the comic needed to be posted here.

Edited by BB-Gun

I thought the kid looked like Robbie's friend from "The Invisible Boy" but I think the age difference may be too great. Anyway, I posted someone's photo of the robot. :whee:

11450283655_8eee1b4371_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Books from ebay via UK are in. all are nice solid copies with the Glasby a standout beauty.

Bio-Muton by Lee Elliot, Curtis Warren Oct 1952, cover by Gordon C. Davies. Scientists trying to synthesize life accidentally tear a hole in the fabric of time, creating, according to the book's summary, "a channel through which the Forces of Darkness assailed them." "Compelling fantasy, with realistic characters, woven in Hughes' unique style." - Harbottle and Holland.

146718.jpg

Z Formations by Bryan Shaw, Curtis Warren Mar 1953, cover by Gerald Facey. A mystery world of synthetic people faces a planetary deluge as visitors from Earth try to help while grappling with the mystery of why they are growing younger on this puzzling planet. “An excellent story, one of Fearn’s best.” - H&H.

img524.jpg

Zero Point by Rand Le Page, Curtis Warren Oct 1952, wonderful cover by Gordon C. Davies. The discovery of a planet with a strange orbit around the twin suns of Sirius, spawns a space race in the Solar System. “One of Glasby’s better early efforts.” - H&H.

img5250.jpg

Thanks for posting the comic, BB.

I noticed that the credits for the movie list Roy Huggins as the writer of the original Good Humor Man story that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.

goodhumormancredits.jpg

I'm familiar with Huggins because he is the creator of the 77 Sunset Strip TV show which I've been watching lately.

Wikipedia notes that while working for Warner Brothers as a producer Huggins also created the Maverick and Fugitive TV programs.

In 1963, Huggins took a job as a vice president in the television division at Universal, where he spent the next 18 years. At Universal, he co-created The Rockford Files and produced The Virginian, Alias Smith and Jones and Baretta, among other series.

Books from ebay via UK are in. all are nice solid copies with the Glasby a standout beauty.

146718.jpg

img524.jpg

img5250.jpg

I love seeing all the paperbacks you've been buying. :applause:

Have you been reading all these books?

If you have, do you have any particular favorites?

Sure seems weird if it was a prop since it has the logo and the whole Captain Marvel club promotes the character, unless maybe Fawcett didn't want any single issue to be promoted over the others? Pretty cool that George Reeves was in this. :grin:

Thanks for posting the comic, BB.

I noticed that the credits for the movie list Roy Huggins as the writer of the original Good Humor Man story that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.

goodhumormancredits.jpg

I'm familiar with Huggins because he is the creator of the 77 Sunset Strip TV show which I've been watching lately.

Wikipedia notes that while working for Warner Brothers as a producer Huggins also created the Maverick and Fugitive TV programs.

In 1963, Huggins took a job as a vice president in the television division at Universal, where he spent the next 18 years. At Universal, he co-created The Rockford Files and produced The Virginian, Alias Smith and Jones and Baretta, among other series.

Quite a list of classic TV shows for Huggins!

Great books, guys. :applause:

I've bought the first three volumes of the Flash Gordon series and am looking forward to the next volume being released.

I received these books as Christmas gifts this year.

The Gernsback Days by Mike Ashley and Robert Lowndes

The Secret History of Marvel Comics by Blake Bell and Dr. Michael Vassallo

I Say, I Say...Son by Robert McKimson Jr.

christmasgifts.jpg

Great books, guys. :applause:

I've bought the first three volumes of the Flash Gordon series and am looking forward to the next volume being released.

I received these books as Christmas gifts this year.

The Gernsback Days by Mike Ashley and Robert Lowndes

The Secret History of Marvel Comics by Blake Bell and Dr. Michael Vassallo

I Say, I Say...Son by Robert McKimson Jr.

christmasgifts.jpg

Nice gifts!