• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Today’s haul features Chapter 3 of ‘The Return of Fearn’, with Vargo in cosmic mode for the creation of a new universe… in a story expanded from a Summer 1944 Thrilling Wonder yarn (‘The Devouring Tide’ – probably refers to the doom eating this universe and causing need of a new one…). Nice copy but for a flaw common to the digest style stapled ‘PBs’ – rust. Should be OK in my collectibles-friendly environment… (1951, Zero = Philip Mendoza)

‘Antro’ is part of a classic ‘50s UKSF series featuring ‘Spaceship # 2213, Old Growler, and the 3-man crew of the Interplanetary Exploration Bureau’. 1953, cover by George Ratcliffe. Panther was a brand that continued after ‘the purge’ swept away most of the mushroom jungle in a series a court cases much like (and in close to the same time frame) the Comics Code decimation. (The sado-sexual excesses of some of the lurid crime books were a bit much…) But…

img5090.jpg

Today’s haul features Chapter 3 of ‘The Return of Fearn’, with Vargo in cosmic mode for the creation of a new universe… in a story expanded from a Summer 1944 Thrilling Wonder yarn (‘The Devouring Tide’ – probably refers to the doom eating this universe and causing need of a new one…). Nice copy but for a flaw common to the digest style stapled ‘PBs’ – rust. Should be OK in my collectibles-friendly environment… (1951, Zero = Philip Mendoza)

‘Antro’ is part of a classic ‘50s UKSF series featuring ‘Spaceship # 2213, Old Growler, and the 3-man crew of the Interplanetary Exploration Bureau’. 1953, cover by George Ratcliffe. Panther was a brand that continued after ‘the purge’ swept away most of the mushroom jungle in a series a court cases much like (and in close to the same time frame) the Comics Code decimation. (The sado-sexual excesses of some of the lurid crime books were a bit much…) But…

img5090.jpg

Love the cataclysm cover!

img5090.jpg

Today’s haul features Chapter 3 of ‘The Return of Fearn’, with Vargo in cosmic mode for the creation of a new universe… in a story expanded from a Summer 1944 Thrilling Wonder yarn (‘The Devouring Tide’ – probably refers to the doom eating this universe and causing need of a new one…).

Another gem, Pat. :applause:

I went downstairs to pull my Summer 1944 Thrilling Wonder so I could take a photo of the "Devouring Tide" illo when my eyes spotted a Fantasy pulp on the shelf.

Aha, I thought. I think that issue has a John Russell Fearn story. :idea:

fantasy.jpg

fantasytoc.jpg

Fantasy v1#1 (December 1946)

This morning I was viewing 77 Sunset Strip via the Warner Archive Channel and spotted a scene that shows a comic book being read by one of the characters.

The episode is titled "The Disappearance" and was originally broadcast April 27, 1962.

This shot shows Victor Buono reading Bugs Bunny #51 (Oct/Nov 1956) at a newsstand.

77sunsetstripVictorBuono.jpg

The newsstand pictures a few more comic books with publication dates from various years.

77sunsetstripVictorBuono2.jpg

VictorBuono2detail.jpg

Bugs Bunny #47 (Feb/Mar 1956)

Bugs Bunny Trick 'N' Treat Halloween Fun #3 (Oct 1955)

Looney Tunes #172 (Feb 1956)

Porky Pig #67 (Nov/Dec 1959)

Porky Pig #55 (Nov/Dec 1957)

The newsstand pictures a few more comic books with publication dates from various years.

77sunsetstripVictorBuono2.jpg

VictorBuono2detail.jpg

Bugs Bunny #47 (Feb/Mar 1956)

Bugs Bunny Trick 'N' Treat Halloween Fun #3 (Oct 1955)

Looney Tunes #172 (Feb 1956)

Porky Pig #67 (Nov/Dec 1959)

Porky Pig #55 (Nov/Dec 1957)

Interesting. I assume the set decorator visited a local used book store to get them.