• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow ! What a thread !!

Went over the first 60 pages and I need a breather :o

Utterly "stufabulous" (worship)

Was there ever a closeup of Tec 27 and Supes 1? and if so, on which page ?

I showed off scans of a few expensive comics early on but my wife discouraged me from continuing that practice.

Pics of the Superman and Detective comics were included in group shots if that's of any interest to you.

imgjun2g.JPG

Thanks for the posting. I always enjoy seeing those British paperbacks. :applause:

Re: Arthur J. Burks; here's an old photo of mine that shows one of his early stories that was featured on a Weird Tales cover.

Note the August issue which showcases Burks' "Black Medicine" short story.

weirdtales2.jpg

I showed off scans of a few expensive comics early on but my wife discouraged me from continuing that practice.

Pics of the Superman and Detective comics were included in group shots if that's of any interest to you.

1000% understand (thumbs u

I think I speak for everyone, we all love the stuff you do feel comfortable sharing (worship)

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure it has been expressed countless times by those that first accompanied the thread and those that followed it thereafter, but we as a community certainly appreciate it. I know I do.

I do not venture much into the Gold Forum but I certainly am glad I did today (thumbs u

Good day to you Sir.

In addition to the comics themselves, I have always enjoyed the various forms of ephemera that were produced. There were lots of subscriptions offers, especially later from Dell Comics. However, I have always been interested in the prints and spinners offered by the United Features Comic Group in the late 1930's. Tip Top Comics gave a set of four 8 1/2" x 11" color prints of Tarzan, Li'l Abner, Ella Cinders, and the KJK's as a subscription premium and also made them available by sending in coupons to be cut from current comics. I am attaching a picture of one of their ads from the back cover of Tip Top Comics #18, graciously provided by BZ. Next are the first two pictures in the set, and I only got them yesterday. The missing two prints and the spinners I am going to mention next are on my Bucket List if you ever see them and don't want them for yourself. Through their Single Series title, UFCG advertised a set of six spinners with the above characters plus Ella Cinders and Fritzi Ritz. Once again, BZ came to the rescue with a copy of an ad. The only one I have ever seen was the Tarzan spinner, and in spite of a very generous bid, I didn't come close to winning it. There are a lot of Tarzan collectors out there waiting to feast on rarities. I am sure that very few prints or spinners have survived, and I am delighted to have the two I just obtained. I hope that you enjoy seeing them as well.

TipTopComicsadforsubscriptiongiftpicturesemail.jpg

TipTopGiftPicture1Tarzanemail.jpg

TipTopGiftPicture2LilAbneremail.jpg

SingleSeries21backcoveraddfor6spinnersemail.jpg

Just found this thread recently and started reading it from the beginning.

It must have been said to you until you are sick, but I still gotta say you have some totally awesome comics (worship)

Why did your wife want you to stop showing your books was it due to security by letting people know what you have?

In addition to the comics themselves, I have always enjoyed the various forms of ephemera that were produced. There were lots of subscriptions offers, especially later from Dell Comics. However, I have always been interested in the prints and spinners offered by the United Features Comic Group in the late 1930's. Tip Top Comics gave a set of four 8 1/2" x 11" color prints of Tarzan, Li'l Abner, Ella Cinders, and the KJK's as a subscription premium and also made them available by sending in coupons to be cut from current comics. I am attaching a picture of one of their ads from the back cover of Tip Top Comics #18, graciously provided by BZ. Next are the first two pictures in the set, and I only got them yesterday. The missing two prints and the spinners I am going to mention next are on my Bucket List if you ever see them and don't want them for yourself. Through their Single Series title, UFCG advertised a set of six spinners with the above characters plus Ella Cinders and Fritzi Ritz. Once again, BZ came to the rescue with a copy of an ad. The only one I have ever seen was the Tarzan spinner, and in spite of a very generous bid, I didn't come close to winning it. There are a lot of Tarzan collectors out there waiting to feast on rarities. I am sure that very few prints or spinners have survived, and I am delighted to have the two I just obtained. I hope that you enjoy seeing them as well.

Very cool stuff Rich. :)

I'll keep an eye out for you for the prints and spinners

I just read your original posts Bang Zoom, what can I say, WOW!!!! When you dropped that Adventure 40 I almost fell off my chair. Even experiencing such a collection and its story vicariously was a great thrill. Thanks for sharing.

Great items, Rich. :applause:

Are you collecting a lot of different Golden Age comic book premiums these days or just these in particular?

The above subscription offer was quite a deal.

Two months later the offer had been scaled back considerably.

No longer was Tip Top Comics including the DRUMS OF DOOM book or the free pictures of Tarzan, Li'l Abner, Captain and the Kids, and Broncho Bill as part of the deal.

tiptopsub.jpg

I just read your original posts Bang Zoom, what can I say, WOW!!!! When you dropped that Adventure 40 I almost fell off my chair. Even experiencing such a collection and its story vicariously was a great thrill. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words. :)