• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:cloud9: that is one hard item of Looney Tunes collectibles to come by in unused condition (Bugs was the world's hottest cartoon character at that time, so yes, any kid who had a copy I guess would of course lovingly color him and the gang in). Lucky guy, thank you VERY much for granting my request! :applause:

It's my pleasure. I'm happy to see another Bugs Bunny fan here on the Boards.

Do you have any 1940's Bugs Bunny coloring books?

If it isn't too much trouble for you, I'd love to see a pic of any you might have.

I think I saw that Bugs Bunny coloring book for sale at the flea market today. Is your wife selling your collection without telling you? :devil:

I purchased these after seeing pages from one of BZ's Bugs' books.

8740670125_b9f2312088_z.jpg

I've always wanted to pick up those early Bugs issues! How are the stories; the covers are fantastic.

The cover and story for Four Color 123 and 142 are by Thomas McKimson, an animator and brother to Warner Bros director Robert McKimson. The art is of high quality but the stories are not near as strong and so don't compare well to Barks' Donald Duck adventures.

Says who? :sumo::baiting:

lol All kidding aside, the stories are probably the reason a lot of the Looney Tunes comics aren't hotly contested, the first fifty one issues of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies excluded(though 'The Frozen Kingdom' issue in the Four Color run used to be touted by a long time dealer whose name escapes me in his sales catalogs as "a story as good as any Barks story") indisputable icons that they are.

But come to think of it within the Disney canon itself, Mickey may be the King of the kingdom in most collectible areas, but in the comic book market he is no match for Donald, again due to the Barks stories(and art of course).

Those two issues are my favorite "Bugs" books. Not only is Bugs drawn extremely well, but the backgrounds are much richer than I recall of either earlier or later stories and the cover color design is up to the standards of the art. The quality of the art and the Tibetan setting make for an enjoyable read on the 123 and I really wish McKimson did more comics work with higher better written stories.

lol All kidding aside, the stories are probably the reason a lot of the Looney Tunes comics aren't hotly contested, the first fifty one issues of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies excluded(though 'The Frozen Kingdom' issue in the Four Color run used to be touted by a long time dealer whose name escapes me in his sales catalogs as "a story as good as any Barks story") indisputable icons that they are.

But come to think of it within the Disney canon itself, Mickey may be the King of the kingdom in most collectible areas, but in the comic book market he is no match for Donald, again due to the Barks stories(and art of course).

As far as I'm concerned, there are two main reasons to collect Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies: The early Walt Kelly stories, and Mary Jane & Sniffles. The Kelly material is minor in his body of work, but still interesting and charming. Mary Jane & Sniffles is the one consistently excellent feature in LT&MM, with amazingly fun stories; Roger Armstrong's art was good on the early issues and Al Hubbard was even better when he took over. Only about 50 issues to go including the Dell Giants to complete my set; although I don't know if I'll ever get issues 1-4. (And my Four Color 402 is in desperate need of an upgrade, both of the MJ & S issues of Four Color are extremely hard to find.)

BB%20LFC8%20front%20cover_edited-1.jpg

I was lucky to just get this nice copy of LFC #8 at less than half of guide due to some restoration. I traded my original copy and have been looking for a replacement ever since. With the b+w interior, it almost looks like a paint book.

I was lucky to just get this nice copy of LFC #8 at less than half of guide due to some restoration. I traded my original copy and have been looking for a replacement ever since. With the b+w interior, it almost looks like a paint book.

On my way to the office, but I couldn't resist chiming in before I head out:

AdamStrange, those covers are indeed standouts and classic cover worthy. You bring up another good point which I think hinders the later 50's to 70's Bugs covers: Bugs isn't drawn very well on most of them. Too full of a face, and he appears to be 7 foot tall on a lot lol

OtherEric, I'll have to give the Sniffles features a second look. Wasn't one of my faves growing up, so I really haven't paid attention to his stories. Walt Kelly is a plus!

YellowKid, very historic comic, first solo Bugs Comic. :applause: I may post mine sometime this week. Cool chat fellows, off to work!

In looking through my limited collection of LOONEY TUNES and MERRIE MELODIES

I find only one cover where SNIFFLES appears...#67.

<a  href=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3794/9215659961_eefdefac8f_z.jpg' alt='9215659961_eefdefac8f_z.jpg'>IMG LOONEY TUNES & MERRY MELODIES # 67

mm

Nice copy of the first Bugs comic, Yellow Kid.

Nobody's mentioned yet that today is the 75th anniversary of the release of (arguably) the first Bugs Bunny cartoon ("Wild Hare").

Happy Birthday, Bugs.

Congratulations on the pick-up, Rich. :applause:

I've always heard that issue is a difficult one to find in nice condition.

Thanks for posting Bangzoom for all who drop in today to see!

PoorOldMan, i was going to mention today is recognized as the icons Birthday if you count 'Wild Hare' as his debut, which i fall into the fan camp that does. However as you put 'arguably' there are fans that count the 'prototype' version (seen in my sig line)that debuted a few years earlier. So going by 'Wild Hare' lets keep the Birthday bash rolling. It's my intention to start a 'Looney Tunes' thread in Gold forum one day.

Here, a recent pick up. I scored a few of these at once. Bugs Bunny #6 (Australian edition). The early covers on these have 'crude' versions of our favorite Wabbit. These were published in the 50's. This cover is one of my faves, featuring a weird Porky Pig bondage cover, as Bugs prepares to use a razor on him(who knew Porky had hair?). Probably wouldn't have made a U.S. edition, but as you can see with the Warners 'seal' on the cover, this flew in the 'Outback'.

Bugs%20Bunny%206%20Australian%20ed._zpsqgghak9n.jpg