• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

NICE SCROOGE!!! An amazing story!!

Is that BLACK WIDOW story from Mystic Comics #5???

Just a beautiful example of fine Golden Age material.

It's from Mystic # 4. Glad you liked it. It really jumps out and the scene in Hades are stunning and not overdone. Simply chilling story. Call it a pre-pre-code story. (thumbs u

mystic4.jpg

Why is that just an 8.5? :o

8.5 is actually pretty accurate on this one. It has a few little "things".

But I asked CGC to put most of my 9.0s and 9.2s in 8.5 holders. They kindly obliged! :jokealert:

NICE SCROOGE!!! An amazing story!!

Is that BLACK WIDOW story from Mystic Comics #5???

Just a beautiful example of fine Golden Age material.

It's from Mystic # 4. Glad you liked it. It really jumps out and the scene in Hades are stunning and not overdone. Simply chilling story. Call it a pre-pre-code story. (thumbs u

mystic4.jpg

Why is that just an 8.5? :o

8.5 is actually pretty accurate on this one. It has a few little "things".

But I asked CGC to put most of my 9.0s and 9.2s in 8.5 holders. They kindly obliged! :jokealert:

Your right, I see the edge wear now, but still a gorgeous copy with great color.

Aw man. I used to think Mondays suck... Saturdays are now gaining ground :P

lol

The covers are strange, the stories are weird and the creator's signature placement is odd. Is anything normal in that strip? Is it just me or is it plain odd that the artist signed right under the first appearance of Phantasmo? (shrug)

The covers are strange, the stories are weird and the creator's signature placement is odd. Is anything normal in that strip? Is it just me or is it plain odd that the artist signed right under the first appearance of Phantasmo? (shrug)

Stoner wasn't a slave to convention.

He was blazing his own trail. lol

Well, it's the first Saturday of the month and you know what that means?

Yep, it's time for another exciting episode of PHANTASMO, The Master of the World. :baiting:

YYYAAAYYY!!!

phantasmopg9.jpg

Funnies # 55 (May 1941)

WOW, great stuff, with a pair of evil chemists (isn't that redundant?) to boot!

But they're working with germs, not chemicals -- aren't they microbiologists?

Thanks, BZ.

Jack

Jack,

I think that a chemist could contaminate the water with a virus or bacteria but I am not sure he could make an anti-toxin. At least those guys should have known how to store it. It probably needs refrigeration. Thats what I learned in my microbiology class. Probably a bacteria toxin might be what the author thought was involved. I think rotavirus is the only virus that produces an endotoxin an it isn't deadly, usually. Purification of proteins toxins may require a good biochemist. But on the other hand Linus Pauling worked on DNA and he was a chemist. So chemist may be the culprits but they could use help from an evil microbiologist. When I had hepatitis, everyone in the lab got an immunoglobulin shot. If I had tetanus, I would have had an anti-toxin shot I think.

bb

Fun Facts: 1st color issue, 1st Sheena cover, oversized comic

jumbo_9.jpg

Cover illustrated by Lou Fine

Holy Cow, that is purty!

Fun Facts: 1st color issue, 1st Sheena cover, oversized comic

jumbo_9.jpg

Cover illustrated by Lou Fine

What a great cover! This would be a good one to post in the "Well-Traveled Gorilla" thread. Another pretty clear example that Fine was swiping Foster when ever he had to draw a gorilla. (thumbs u

Jeff

FosterGorilla01sm.jpg

FosterGorilla02sm.jpg

FosterGorilla03sm.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

jumbo_9.jpg

Another pretty clear example that Fine was swiping Foster when ever he had to draw a gorilla.

FosterGorilla01sm.jpg

FosterGorilla02sm.jpg

FosterGorilla03sm.jpg

Jeff, great examples you posted.

There's no question about it, Hal Foster, Alex Raymond, and Milton Caniff were tremendous influences on many comic book artists of that era.