• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I knew it wasn't an issue of catman...

I might have to assign some homework to Gator over the holidays. (shrug)

He participates in all the class discussions but continuously fails the tests. :taptaptap:

We can send him a list of study questions and he can write a report for extra credit.

I think I could use a little extra study time too. Those were hard. Can't believe I missed the Geronimo clue. doh!

prof bb

Edited by BB-Gun

even though I haven't been buying many books- when a grail comes up at real good price- ah, I could hear you all chanting 'buy it, buy it' like the animals in the field when young Arthur steps up to try his hand at pulling Excalibur from the stone- there can be only one just resolution for such an event, and since it was Christmas (and my wife had just bought herself -another- antique sewing machine) I could snag it with household $ and not deplete my collectibles fund which is the arrow in my quiver waiting for the next big netsuke to streak across the sky. So thanks for the help, team, this was $140 delivered from across pond (is a Brit book) which looks to be just about half FMV -HOOORRAAYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

img307.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

I should start looking to pick up some of the comics with his interiors (I just have the one). Do you have any you particularly liked?

I'll take another look at them sometime in the next couple of days to remind myself of each issue's contents.

Over the Christmas holiday I spent some time reading a bunch of King and Magic Comics. They had a great assortment of strips so it was fun to reread classics like Mandrake the Magician, Brick Bradford, Flash Gordon, Popeye, Secret Agent X-9, etc. Even many of the second tier strips like Radio Patrol were fun to read.

I also took another look at Jimmy Thompson's work on Redmen and Indian Lore and decided my favorite examples of his work are, for the most part, printed in the early numbers of King and Magic.

Here are a few samples from that time period that I especially liked:

king14.jpg

King Comics #14 (May 1937)

king15.jpg

King Comics #15 (June 1937)

king16.jpg

King Comics #16 (July 1937)

Fantastic pages there BZ. Thanks for sharing with us who don't have access to these early books.

While you were reading Redmen, I was tearing through my Tonto books, circa the 20's in the series with Alberto Giolitti's art inside. Simply wonderful work.

A story in issue # 22 particularly caught my attention and I was scanning as you posted more Thompson work.

The story follows (sorry for the big upload but I find it well worth it).

What's particularly striking about this story is not only the always top-notch figure work by Giolitti but the research aspect. Tonto and Fast-As-A-Hare go on a trading mission and encounter many different nations (tribes) and cultures along the way and the attention to detail is terrific. We tend to bring to mind Heath or Severin when we think about detail-oriented artists but Giolitti here rose to the challenge of the -script. Tonto and his companion run into members of the Pawnee, Crow, Paiute, Navaho, Zuni and Pueblo nation. Each is represented differently, even tribes with similar backgrounds. The effort to represent their lodging type as accurate as possible is incredible.

Anyone not thinking this is great comicbookmanship ought to be banned from the boards, or, at least, from the GA forum.

Enjoy -

Tonton22.jpg

Tonton22-1.jpg

Tonton22-2.jpg

Tonton22-3.jpg

Tonton22-4.jpg

Tonton22-5.jpg

Tonton22-6.jpg

Tonton22-7.jpg

Tonton22-9.jpg

Tonton22-10.jpg

Tonton22-11.jpg

What's particularly striking about this story is not only the always top-notch figure work by Giolitti but the research aspect. Tonto and Fast-As-A-Hare go on a trading mission and encounter many different nations (tribes) and cultures along the way and the attention to detail is terrific. We tend to bring to mind Heath or Severin when we think about detail-oriented artists but Giolitti here rose to the challenge of the -script. Tonto and his companion run into members of the Pawnee, Crow, Paiute, Navaho, Zuni and Pueblo nation. Each is represented differently, even tribes with similar backgrounds. The effort to represent their lodging type as accurate as possible is incredible.

Tonton22-1.jpg

Thanks for the scans. I think that was the first Tonto story I've ever read.

Adding immensely to my enjoyment of the story was your having pointed out how the artist paid attention to differentiating details of life that were particular to each tribe. I might have overlooked that obvious fact if you hadn't mentioned it. You're turning me into a fan of Giolitti.

Are stories of Tonto's boyhood a regular feature?

"Are stories of Tonto's boyhood a regular feature?"

Yes, it is the framing device to at least one story in issues 18 to 22.

Also, I mentioned lodging but the -script also points out each nation's best craft as well as Giolitti pays attention to traditional garb which varies for tribe. I didn't mention it in the original post but is obvious once you read the story.

Also, I mentioned lodging but the -script also points out each nation's best craft as well as Giolitti pays attention to traditional garb which varies for tribe. I didn't mention it in the original post but is obvious once you read the story.

Giolitti's attention to detail is quite extraordinary, as can be further evidenced in this page from Jungle Jim which I posted earlier this year.

giolitti.jpg

I wish htmlcomics was still up and running.

I was having a great time reading Dell's Four Color series when the site went under.

The Cat was a nemesis of Radio Patrol in 1938. His costume, acrobatic stunts and wisecracking personae could almost have served as the prototype for many of the superheros that flooded the market in the following years.

thecat1.jpg

thecat2.jpg

thecat3.jpg

I should start looking to pick up some of the comics with his interiors (I just have the one). Do you have any you particularly liked?

I'll take another look at them sometime in the next couple of days to remind myself of each issue's contents.

Over the Christmas holiday I spent some time reading a bunch of King and Magic Comics. They had a great assortment of strips so it was fun to reread classics like Mandrake the Magician, Brick Bradford, Flash Gordon, Popeye, Secret Agent X-9, etc. Even many of the second tier strips like Radio Patrol were fun to read.

I also took another look at Jimmy Thompson's work on Redmen and Indian Lore and decided my favorite examples of his work are, for the most part, printed in the early numbers of King and Magic.

Here are a few samples from that time period that I especially liked:

king14.jpg

King Comics #14 (May 1937)

king15.jpg

King Comics #15 (June 1937)

king16.jpg

King Comics #16 (July 1937)

King must have been the King of the Comics back in 1937-1940. They had Popeye, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, Brick Bradford, Little Annie Roonie, Bringing up Father, Barney Baxter and Redman which were all pretty spectacular. Burnley and Ruth Plumly Thompson (with Marge I think) did fillers. Any relation to Jimmy? My copy with this centerfold Redmen story is supposedly issue 45 but it has a Fantastic 1 back cover and makes me wonder whether the interior matches the front cover.

5307272771_7eea496be9_z.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pics and your thoughts. These are all quite fun!

king15.jpg

My copy with this centerfold Redmen story is supposedly issue 45 but it has a Fantastic 1 back cover and makes me wonder whether the interior matches the front cover.

5307272771_7eea496be9_z.jpg

It matches my copy of #45. (thumbs u

Thanks, BZ. Overstreet wasn't help but it did mention that Marge did some of the art for Thompson text. You could see Little Lulu characters in the illustrations. Interesting bits on Ruth Thompson in Wikipedia. She did a lot of Oz stories after Baum passed away. I still need to finish reading those.

bb

Overstreet wasn't help but it did mention that Marge did some of the art for Thompson text. You could see Little Lulu characters in the illustrations. Interesting bits on Ruth Thompson in Wikipedia. She did a lot of Oz stories after Baum passed away. bb

I'm not certain if I've ever read any of Thompson's Oz stories. I don't think I have.

I've noticed the Little Lulu resemblance in some of Marge's illos for the Thompson text pieces. I always enjoyed her work.

I'm not going to be around tomorrow night so I'll post this cover tonight.

funnies27.jpg

The Funnies #27 (December 1938)

Happy New Year, folks. cheers.gif

BB, note that this issue reprints a couple of Wonderland of Oz strips.

5308941585_9c09b99264_z.jpg

I have that issue and posted scans from Oop but this scan is from GAC. Art by Walt Spouse.

2101739483_12568194d8_b.jpg

Just checked to see but Thompson didn't write the Laughing Dragon story either. Written by Frank J and not L. Frank.

Spoiler Alert in case you were about to read it.

Plot goes like this:

Rosine is an American girl with a pet monkey named Jim. They fall from an airplane and land in Oz, where they meet Cap'n Bob, a lighthouse keeper who has been blown to Oz in a storm. Wanting to return to the United States, they search for the missing Princess Cozytoes. They meet the Laughing Dragon, and are captured by the Posties who live in mail boxes. The Laughing Dragon helps them escape. They are nearly captured by the Ruby Imps who hold the princess prisoner, but Jim the monkey saves them all.