• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The later volumes include collaborations and non-HPL works in the mythos I believe. Regardless, the HPL bit is so far as I know as complete as it can be :shrug: and having the ancillary writings is nothing but a nice added bonus.

The later volumes includes collaborations and non-HPL works in the mythos I believe. Regardless, the HPL bit is so far as I know as complete as it can be :shrug: and having the ancillary writings is nothing but a nice added bonus.

Yeah, the 2000 pages of Arkham House also include all of his revisions/collaborations - though stuff entirely written by others such as Derleth, etc. are not included in those volumes.

Again, pretty impressive collection of stuff to have as a kid. Wish I had access to something like that back in the day. My first exposure to HPL was with the Ballantine releases (covers by Michael Whelan) which came out some time in the 80's. I loved them back then but cringe a bit now when leafing through them.

Oopps. Forgot to mention. These were (are?) published in the Bouquins imprint of Robert Laffont and are all in French translation. They were originally published in 1991 / 1992.

It is comprehensive reprinting anything (though not all his correspondence but some made it) HPL ever wrote from his first (?) work as a 6-yr old to his essays, including his reflection on literary genres and one that struck me 20 years ago, titled in english: "Suggestions for a Reading guide" dated September 1936 in The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces in which HPL lays out what works, in his opinion, a cultivated person and reader should be familiar with in order to establish that knowledge base necessary for intelligent reflection.

darkbrotherhood.jpg

The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces

For fun, tonight I'll check if all HPL content from this collection is in mine. I know for example that some HPL poetry is included in the french edition. I however do not know how much HPL poetry has been published beyond those listed in the table of content of The Dark Brotherhood.

For fun, tonight I'll check if all HPL content from this collection is in mine. I know for example that some HPL poetry is included in the french edition. I however do not know how much HPL poetry has been published beyond those listed in the table of content of The Dark Brotherhood.

I'm curious about what material is included that wasn't in any of the Arkham House editions.

At a massive 3900 pages, I'm guessing it has printed everything.

supernaturalhorrorinliterature.jpg

Ben Abramson Publisher (1945)

From Wikipedia:

Supernatural Horror in Literature

"Supernatural Horror in Literature" is a long essay by the celebrated horror writer H. P. Lovecraft surveying the field of horror fiction. It was written between November 1925 and May 1927 and revised in 1933-1934. It was first published in 1927 in the one-shot magazine The Recluse.[1]

Lovecraft examines the roots of weird fiction in the gothic novel (relying heavily on Edith Birkhead's 1921 survey The Tale of Terror), and traces its development through such writers as Nathaniel Hawthorne, Edgar Allan Poe (who merits his own chapter), and Ambrose Bierce. Lovecraft names as the four "modern masters" of horror Arthur Machen, Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood and M. R. James.

I just read the chapter with E. Hoffman Price's recollections and insights on Farnsworth Wright, the edtior of Weird Tales.

A remarkable essay on a remarkable man.

That essay is but one chapter from Price's marvelous elegy: Book of the Dead: Friends of Yesteryear : Fictioneers & Others (Memories of the Pulp Fiction Era). He corresponded and visited almost all the early Weird Tales authors including Lovecraft and Howard and died, aged 90, working on another book.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Dead-Yesteryear-Fictioneers-Memories/dp/087054179X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302582196&sr=1-6

Thanks for that tip. :)

I definitely want to read it.

Since we are deep into aviation artwork territory, I can't help but think it would be a disservice to leave out Roy Cross. While he never did work for comic books, his work was certainly known by the same generations of young boys who bought them. Cross was the main artist for model comapny Airfix during their heyday. Here's two examples of very different interpretations.

B-17 Flying Fortress, in trouble but with all guns blazing:

RoyCrossB-17G.jpg

and my favourite, the Short Stirling preparing for a mission:

RoyCrossStirling.jpg

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of model kits.

I didn't hang on to any of my old models but I was thrilled when I discovered this book a few years ago.

It is filled with hundreds of photos of the boxes and assembled models.

classicplastic.jpg

Classic Plastic Model Kits.

His entire output of poetry was published in 2001 in a volume by Night Shade Books called 'The Ancient Track'. Unfortunately, it is no longer in print. It could certainly account for another few hundred pages in the french edition.

111226.jpg.8dcc0178bbdecd6abc8f35a5e4ac68c6.jpg

You've made me curious, so here are the contents:

Volume I -

Cthulhu Mythos pp. 3 - 600

Legends and Myths of Cthulhu by Long, Howard, Smith, Bloch, Kuttner, Derleth, Shea, Campbell, Lumley, Wade and Wilson pp. 601 - 999

First Stories by HPL pp. 1000 - 1020

The Art of Writing by HPL - pp. 1029 - 1155

Bibliography pp 1156 - 1174

Volume II -

Stories and Novellas by HPL pp. 3 - 286

The Horror in the Museum and other revisions by various pp. 287 - 954

Fungi of Yoggoth and other fantastic poems by HPL pp. 955 - 1062

Supernatural Horror in literature by HPL pp. 1063 - 1132

Documents pp. 1133 - 1322 - Both first hand accounts by Hoffman Price, Derleth, Sonia H. Greene, Kleiner, ... and accounts of Providence and the surrounding area

Bibliography pp.1323 - 1342

Volume III -

The World of Dream (? remember I am re-translating this which always fubars) pp. 3 - 238 - A combination of writings and letters

Parodies pp. 243 - 290

HPL - Derleth collaborations pp. 291 - 960

Dream and Reality pp. 961 - 1184 - a bunch of writings about Quebec, New England and Europe

Documents pp. 1185 - 1264 - more philosphical / politico-social essays by HPL

Bibliography pp. 1265 - 1283

Guided reference to HPL commentaries in french (1936 - 1991) pp. 1284 - 1341

There you have it. So short of reprinting his shopping lists, it's fairly comprehensive!

Jeepers, they really did throw in everything (including the kitchen sink)! I'm curious as to what was classified as 'Cthulhu Mythos' by the publisher from page 3-600 (I'm assuming it was the publisher) being that the term was coined by Derleth. One would assume from the contents in the way are presented that they are stories by HPL followed by the mythos stories by the other authors on pp 600-999. (I am by no means asking you to look, just thinking out loud :) ). I think you've done quite enough work already!

There is quite a lot of material in the three volumes not actually by HPL, which would explain the surplus of pages (for example, the 600 pages of Derleth collaborations, which were not collaborations at all, but almost entirely written by August Derleth taken from HPL's plot germs listed in his commonplace book).

Lots of essays and whatnot too. I've got the Quebec travelogue (published in the 70's published by Donald M. Grant) which was his longest single piece of nonfiction, but haven't yet read it. I might have to pull it out now and see what he has to say. His writings of New England make me wish that I could see the area in his time.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to list all of that out...that's a crazy collection of stuff!

Hey, yeah, there is a lot of non-HPL in there but even though it might be peripheral, for the purpose of this collection, it is also essential. I was glad that all this material made it under the covers of 3 volumes.

Plus, the company has kept the book in print over the years. It has changed the dress of the volumes but they remain the same 20 years later and can be ordered at anytime. What's more it's also affordable (it's the point of the Bouquins imprint). You can order each volume today for 28.50 Euros each so for about $125 you get ALL the material listed above and, if you only want the Chtuhlu stuff, that is Volume 1, it's only $41.5.

This lead me to look at their catalog and they have for example 9 volumes for all Alexandre Dumas, 15 volumes for Victor Hugo, 5 volumes for Emile Zola, ... all classics but they also reprint the complete Charlie Chan by Earl Derr Biggers, 5 volumes of Conan Doyle, 2 volumes of Ian Fleming, 3 volumes of Kipling, 6 volumes of Gaston Leroux, 6 volumes of Jack London ... but more, they have volumes dedicated to travelogues from all eras and all parts of the world ... Anyway, I get too excited about this imprint anytime I think about what they make easily accessible to the reader in me.

And to keep this semi on track, there is also one book with Novels about the Circus which should be of interest for BZ. Here is the content:

Romans de cirque

Jules Claretie : Le Train 17, suivi de Boum-Boum

Edmond de Goncourt : Les Frères Zemganno

Rodolphe Darzens : Ukko’ Till

Gustave Kahn : Le Cirque solaire

Félicien Champsaur : Lulu

Gustave Coquiot : Histoire de deux clowns et d’une petite écuyère

928 pages

This lead me to look at their catalog and they have for example 9 volumes for all Alexandre Dumas, 15 volumes for Victor Hugo, 5 volumes for Emile Zola, ... all classics but they also reprint the complete Charlie Chan by Earl Derr Biggers, 5 volumes of Conan Doyle, 2 volumes of Ian Fleming, 3 volumes of Kipling, 6 volumes of Gaston Leroux, 6 volumes of Jack London ... but more, they have volumes dedicated to travelogues from all eras and all parts of the world ... Anyway, I get too excited about this imprint anytime I think about what they make easily accessible to the reader in me.

And to keep this semi on track, there is also one book with Novels about the Circus which should be of interest for BZ. Here is the content:

Romans de cirque

Jules Claretie : Le Train 17, suivi de Boum-Boum

Edmond de Goncourt : Les Frères Zemganno

Rodolphe Darzens : Ukko’ Till

Gustave Kahn : Le Cirque solaire

Félicien Champsaur : Lulu

Gustave Coquiot : Histoire de deux clowns et d’une petite écuyère

928 pages

Thanks for the info.