• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks for the additional scans. :)

I'm very impressed with the quality of the artwork in these books.

Are they collected by many people?

It's hard to say. Certainly when I was a lad they were as strongly collected as Superman. more Hugo Pratt coming up.

wpl002.jpg

wpl003.jpg

wpl004.jpg

Are they collected by many people?

I haven't seen them before, but being a foreign publication that's no surprise.

When I saw the interior artwork, it reminded me of Blazing Combat.

wpl008.jpg

The Stirling has such a dramatic stance on the ground - the use of silouhette here makes it even more so.

This is almost certainly the photograph the artist used for reference:

stirling.jpg

Edited by AJD

Nice catch, Andrew.

I like these "books" but have very few. They are relatively cheap, but I have never seen any older ones in what could be termed "high grade".

I think their peak circulation was before the arrival of competition - i.e. US imports.

I was offered a large collection a while back, but declined without any discussion of price.

One just cannot collect everything . . .

Nice catch, Andrew.

I like these "books" but have very few. They are relatively cheap, but I have never seen any older ones in what could be termed "high grade".

I think their peak circulation was before the arrival of competition - i.e. US imports.

I was offered a large collection a while back, but declined without any discussion of price.

One just cannot collect everything . . .

They typically turn up on vg condition with rusty staples - especially the earlier ones. A few years ago some of the early Air Ace were discovered in a shop that had been closed up for many years that were in near perfect condition. They were rather expensive on Ebay UK.

However, these are eclipsed by another title, Commando, which is still in print many thousands of issues later. Early issues go for hundreds of pounds regardless of condition. They are no better or worse than the titles I have posted. But while I didnt mind paying as much a s £20 for an Air Ace in as-new condition, I would not pay £1000 for Commando #1!

From the internet - issues #1 and #2:

Com1.jpg

Com2.jpg

and a linky:

http://cloud-109.blogspot.com/2010/04/achtung-commando.html

Edited by alanna

wpl006.jpg

wpl007.jpg

Thanks. :applause:

Both of the above scans are examples of Hugo Pratt's artwork, right?

His work certainly evolved between the publication of the two stories. I can see the strong influence of Caniff in "The Crimson Sea" story but by the time he illustrated "The Big Arena" he has developed his own style.

wpl008.jpg

The Stirling has such a dramatic stance on the ground - the use of silouhette here makes it even more so.

This is almost certainly the photograph the artist used for reference:

stirling.jpg

You have a great eye. :applause:

I don't who the cover artist is but I applaud his creativity. I love that cover.

Sure looks like it was the inspiration.

Maybe THRILLING DETECTIVE is another?

thrillingdetective193501.jpg

detective_11.jpg