• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

spystories192903.jpg

Spy Stories v1#1 (March 1929)

Cover: Walter Baumhofer

I recently purchased a comic with the story of Mata Hari but forgot to post it.

I also found this picture a few weeks ago as a supporting document, sort of.

5635887147_d2fe7b596b_b.jpg5636538318_f478b94ca8_z.jpg

Also found another famous criminal name in the box.

Edited by BB-Gun

spystories192903.jpg

Spy Stories v1#1 (March 1929)

5635887147_d2fe7b596b_b.jpg

I only knew a few superficial details about Mati Hari's life so I checked Wikipedia and was shocked to read the specifics about her death and the final resting place of her body.

Trial and execution

On 13 February 1917, Mata Hari was arrested in her room at the Hotel Plaza Athénée in Paris. She was put on trial, accused of spying for Germany and consequently causing the deaths of at least 50,000 soldiers. Although the French and British intelligence suspected her of spying for Germany, neither could produce definite evidence against her. Secret ink was found in her room, which was incriminating evidence in that period. She contended that it was part of her make-up. She was found guilty and was executed by firing squad on 15 October 1917, at the age of 41.

Pat Shipman's biography Femme Fatale argues that Mata Hari was never a double agent, speculating that she was used as a scapegoat by the head of French counter-espionage. Georges Ladoux had been responsible for recruiting Mata Hari as a French spy and later was arrested for being a double agent himself. The facts of the case remain vague, because the official case documents regarding the execution were sealed for 100 years, although, in 1985, biographer Russell Warren Howe managed to convince the French Minister of National Defense to break open the file, about 32 years early. It was revealed that Mata Hari was innocent of her charges of espionage.

Disappearance and rumours

Mata Hari's body was not claimed by any family members and was accordingly used for medical study. Her head was embalmed and kept in the Museum of Anatomy in Paris, but in 2000, archivists discovered that the head had disappeared, possibly as early as 1954, when the museum had been relocated. Records dated from 1918 show that the museum also received the rest of the body, but none of the remains could later be accounted for.

The fact that a former exotic dancer had been executed as a spy immediately provoked many unsubstantiated rumours. One is that she blew a kiss to her executioners, although it is possible that she blew a kiss to her lawyer and former lover Edouard Clunet, present at the execution. Her dying words were purported to be "Merci, monsieur". Another rumour claims that, in an attempt to distract her executioners, she flung open her coat and exposed her naked body. "Harlot, yes, but traitor, never," she is reported to have said. A 1934 New Yorker article, however, reported that at her execution she actually wore "a neat Amazonian tailored suit, specially made for the occasion, and a pair of new white gloves" though another account indicates she wore the same suit, low-cut blouse and tricorn hat ensemble which had been picked out by her accusers for her to wear at trial, and which was still the only full, clean outfit which she had along in prison. Neither description matches photographic evidence. According to an eyewitness account by British reporter Henry Wales, she was not bound and refused a blindfold. Wales records her death, saying that after the volley of shots rang out "...Slowly, inertly, she settled to her knees, her head up always, and without the slightest change of expression on her face. For the fraction of a second it seemed she tottered there, on her knees, gazing directly at those who had taken her life. Then she fell backward, bending at the waist, with her legs doubled up beneath her..." A non-commissioned officer then walked up to her body, pulled out his revolver, and shot her in the head to make sure she was dead.

I picked up a copy of Weird Tales today (Oct '35, vol 26 no. 4) and it is a yellow cover book. Nothing unusual about that, but the spine is the exact same color of yellow.

Now I've seen WT with nice red spines, and also heavily faded to dull orange spines, but a yellow spine?

The Weird Tales spine logo is completely unreadable, but the date and volume number is in dark, bold black.

The book has nice paper, too.

So is this another pulp anamoly, or is it possible for a spine to be so heavily sun faded that it can go from red to straight yellow?

It's completely faded and is a fairly common defect on WTs. Faded spines on WTs are a personal pet peeve of mine though I do have a couple of yellow ones. One of the main things I look for now is to see if it has a nice red spine. It's like finding a Fiction House with true reds instead of oranges.

here's another big-league femme fatale perhaps slightly more fictive than Mata Hari. 1958 reprint of 1951 PBO and 1954 PBO 'Return of Sumuru' with cover by James Meese

img570.jpg

img573.jpg

Return of Sumuru seems to turn up frequently on ebay - are they a good read?

And can we please have more femmes fatales please? I mean, please!

It's completely faded and is a fairly common defect on WTs. Faded spines on WTs are a personal pet peeve of mine though I do have a couple of yellow ones. One of the main things I look for now is to see if it has a nice red spine. It's like finding a Fiction House with true reds instead of oranges.

Thnx Jeff, I was unaware a spine could fade like that.

More the strange because of the yellow cover, the spine color matches it perfectly. It really sticks out when constrasted with the red spines when I stack the books!

I hear you on the Fiction House - my only copy of Planet Stories has a very dull orange spine as well.

But for now, it's a defect I can live with as the front covers are strong and present very well.