• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I think those are Westland Whirlwinds on the prowl. A nifty looking plane which reminds me of the speedy Mosquito which was made out of plywood. The Germans made the flying pencil out of aluminun which should be light but I don't think it moved as fast as the Mosquito. Jets were pretty fast but entered too late to make a difference. Most of that was was fought with technology that was developed in the thirties. The Rolls Royce Merlin engine was designed in 1933, improved with a two stage supercharger and placed in every type of plane possible.

Correct. Virtually every type of WW2 plane was featured on thes covers, however exotic - Nighthawks, Mosquitoes, Dorniers, Swordfish, Flying Tigers...

Ian Kennedy:

AirAce39.jpg

That Messerschmitt 110 panel is wonderful!

I had a boxful of Air Aces thirty years ago - they ended up in landfill when my mum did a cleanup. :(

I will try to find some Pratt but with 300 plus issues it may be like looking for the proverbial needle!

Hugo Pratt

Check these issues.

War Picture Library

WPL 25 - The Iron Fist

WPL 40 - Pathfinder

WPL 50 - The Crimson Sea

WPL 58 - Up the Marines!

WPL 62 - Strongpoint

WPL 91 - The Bayonet Jungle

WPL 92 - Dark Judgment

WPL 133 - The Big Arena

Battle Picture Library

BPL 62 - Night of the Devil

War at Sea Picture Library

WSPL 34 - Battle Stations

Thrilller Picture Library

TPL 297 - Battler Britton and the Wagons of Gold

I will try to find some Pratt but with 300 plus issues it may be like looking for the proverbial needle!

Hugo Pratt

Check these issues.

War Picture Library

WPL 25 - The Iron Fist

WPL 40 - Pathfinder

WPL 50 - The Crimson Sea

WPL 58 - Up the Marines!

WPL 62 - Strongpoint

WPL 91 - The Bayonet Jungle

WPL 92 - Dark Judgment

WPL 133 - The Big Arena

Battle Picture Library

BPL 62 - Night of the Devil

War at Sea Picture Library

WSPL 34 - Battle Stations

Thrilller Picture Library

TPL 297 - Battler Britton and the Wagons of Gold

Fast work BZ! I was just about to say that I had tracked down the 8 WPL issues! May also have the War at Sea issue. I will dig them out tomorrow...

Since we are deep into aviation artwork territory, I can't help but think it would be a disservice to leave out Roy Cross. While he never did work for comic books, his work was certainly known by the same generations of young boys who bought them. Cross was the main artist for model comapny Airfix during their heyday. Here's two examples of very different interpretations.

B-17 Flying Fortress, in trouble but with all guns blazing:

RoyCrossB-17G.jpg

and my favourite, the Short Stirling preparing for a mission:

RoyCrossStirling.jpg

This is a very different sort of painting from the usual 'blood and thunder' boxtop, but it worked.

Allright, I am a little late on this but, Re: Lovecraft. One summer I worked the vineyard in Bavaria and took with me the Complete Lovecraft in 3 volumes of 1,300 pages each along and read through these while I was aching from the back-breaking work we were doing lol Ahhh, to have that much time again :cloud9:

I like the collection so much that it made the trans-oceanic trip at some point -

111217.jpg.9a52beb14dfd88c5b9a0be55e15bd6e5.jpg

Allright, I am a little late on this but, Re: Lovecraft. One summer I worked the vineyard in Bavaria and took with me the Complete Lovecraft in 3 volumes of 1,300 pages each along and read through these while I was aching from the back-breaking work we were doing lol Ahhh, to have that much time again :cloud9:

I like the collection so much that it made the trans-oceanic trip at some point -

I've never seen this Michael. Who published them and when?

Oopps. Forgot to mention. These were (are?) published in the Bouquins imprint of Robert Laffont and are all in French translation. They were originally published in 1991 / 1992.

It is comprehensive reprinting anything (though not all his correspondence but some made it) HPL ever wrote from his first (?) work as a 6-yr old to his essays, including his reflection on literary genres and one that struck me 20 years ago, titled in english: "Suggestions for a Reading guide" dated September 1936 in The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces in which HPL lays out what works, in his opinion, a cultivated person and reader should be familiar with in order to establish that knowledge base necessary for intelligent reflection.

111217.jpg

3900 pages of Lovecraft!

That's quite a commitment to an author.

When I was much younger I used to fixate on a particular author (Edgar Rice Burroughs, Thomas Wolfe, Robert Howard, Ross Macdonald, Raymond Chandler, etc.) and read everything I could lay my hands on by them; one story after another. But I'm certain I never came close to reading 3900 pages by a single author. That's amazing. :applause:

I also strongly recommend Robert Weinberg's book, The Weird Tales Story .

weinberg.jpg

Ordered (thnx).

I just read the chapter with E. Hoffman Price's recollections and insights on Farnsworth Wright, the edtior of Weird Tales.

A remarkable essay on a remarkable man.

That essay is but one chapter from Price's marvelous elegy: Book of the Dead: Friends of Yesteryear : Fictioneers & Others (Memories of the Pulp Fiction Era). He corresponded and visited almost all the early Weird Tales authors including Lovecraft and Howard and died, aged 90, working on another book.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Dead-Yesteryear-Fictioneers-Memories/dp/087054179X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302582196&sr=1-6

3900 pages of Lovecraft!

That's like 2 Tolstoy novels! :o

That essay is but one chapter from Price's marvelous elegy: Book of the Dead: Friends of Yesteryear : Fictioneers & Others (Memories of the Pulp Fiction Era). He corresponded and visited almost all the early Weird Tales authors including Lovecraft and Howard and died, aged 90, working on another book.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Dead-Yesteryear-Fictioneers-Memories/dp/087054179X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302582196&sr=1-6

I'm not a huge Price fan, but that is a great book, full of stories of the period. His reminiscences of HPL aren't all that rosey, but hey...it is what it is, I guess. Any fan of pulp fiction should certainly pick it up at some point.

Related in an ancillary way (concerning Price), I was lucky enough to attend MythosCon in January, the first ever totally HPL driven convention in Phoenix, and on day 3 attended a panel entitled 'The Arkham Collector' (one of my favorite panels of the week, incidentally). The panel consisted of Alan Dean Foster, Walt Debill, Ramsey Campbell, Donald Sidney-Fryer and W. Paul Ganley. Foster related a short, yet funny anecdote transcribed below:

"“The last time I did a purely Lovecraftian panel was 38 years ago and the other panelists, who were all coincidentally seated to the left of me, were L. Sprague DeCamp, Robert Bloch and E. Hoffman Price, and to say that I felt out of place at that time is a massive understatement. I mean, why am I on this panel? I’m sitting here listening to E. Hoffman Price talking about traveling around the country in his Model-T to visit Robert E. Howard and Lovecraft; I wanted to be in the audience and not on the panel, but I contributed what I could at the time.”

Wow, that's great...thanks for posting! I have heard of these editions, but have never seen them before. It's curious that they have so many pages, though I guess if they contain a lot of essays and such, they could fill some 4200 pages. I think the 4 combined Arkham House editions of his complete fiction (including revisions) only fill about 2000 pages (max). The Barnes and Noble collection, ghastly as it is with errors, is about 1100 pages.

I'd have freaked out at having access to something like you did back when I was a kid :cloud9: