• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

just for fun- saw one go by online, and it reminded me how good it is. back when ol sloop john d was really sailin- Dell called it orig 'cause expanded from 1955 Cosmopolitan... Robert Maguire cover matches it in gem quality hardboiled. 1956

img643.jpg

Love it! (Of course!)

Happy Birthday Xela !!!

Alex Schomburg - born: May 10 1905 - died physically: April 7 1998 - artistically: still amazing us- thanks!

img650.jpg

I haven't seen that one very often. I will have to put it on my list. I like this one too.

1626389426_aff358fcf0_z.jpg

I few years ago I wrote to his daughter, who was constructing a site with Schomburg covers, and sent her a scan of the first cover by Alex.

Edited by BB-Gun

I few years ago I wrote to his daughter, who was constructing a site with Schomburg covers, and sent her a scan of the first cover by Alex.

I think this is his second cover (image from magazineart.org).

Experimenter192512.jpg

The Experimenter (December 1925)

I think this is his second cover (image from magazineart.org).

Experimenter192512.jpg

The Experimenter (December 1925)

That should be correct and the November issue was his first cover.

I think I saw the December issue at the New York public library but it was already brittle due to poor storage conditions.

2239226329_dcfbe5b4cf_z.jpg

C'mon kids, let's take another journey back to the early days of pulp magazines and look at science fiction covers from almost 100 years ago.

allstory19190412.jpg

All-Story Weekly (April 12, 1919)

allstory.jpg

All-Story Weekly (April 8, 1916)

Extremely Awesome!!! Was this cover also used on one of the early book printings?

Extremely Awesome!!! Was this cover also used on one of the early book printings?

It was used on the McClurg 1st edition.

You never cease to amaze, BZ! Wow, so cool. (worship)

Picked them up last year, from two different sellers on e-bay. Printed by Dell.

Anyone else seen those before? I've yet to see a 2nd copy of either since I accquired them. I know War Ships is listed in OSG, but War Planes is not.

(side note: War Ships was mailed to me, in a plain THIN manila envelope, with no bag/board/cardboard/etc. Pretty much naked except for the manila it came in! Glad it survived intact!)

Dell-War-Planes.jpg

Dell-War-Ships.jpg