• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Just bought The Red Peri off of Ebay! (thumbs u

Any more femmes you can "sell" me Pat?

That was quick action. :applause:

Not exactly on topic...but out in the hallway, just outside my door, is a 1-sheet for Double Indemnity. Whenever anyone mentions femme fatale, I always think of Barbara Stanwyk in her role in this film.

doubleindemnity.jpg

Fantastic poster BZ!! Looks like it's in great condition as well.

Howard Brown and Howard Browne are 2 different people... got this at early LA PB Con (is Dennis McMillan 1988 cov Joe Servello). Browne had retired Pine after 3 books but in mid '50s Lee Wright, mystery editor at Simon and Shuster, reminded him he owed them a book 'and why not bring back Paul Pine?' So S&S 1957 HB but Dell wanted to cut 5000 words and Wright said no so there was no original pb... it's a memorable encore.

img621.jpg

img622.jpg

I have to find a copy of this, I wasn't aware it existed. I have the Quill reprints from the 80's of the first two Pine novels, and a reprint of "Brass" that looks like it's from the same publisher as 'Ashes" - (it's packed away but the cover art was in a similar style).

They are all good reads and deserve to be back in print. But then again so does Eugene Izzi, and for some bizarre reason he isn't.

We’ve established that Howard Brown was the lead cover artist for both mid-1930s Astounding and the first issues of the ‘Better sisters’ TWS & SS (Thrilling Wonder and Startling), let’s make a trifecta by giving him one more crucial credit. He’s the main cover artist for the Gernsback bedsheet that prefigured Amazing & STF: Science and Invention. It was the enthusiastic response to STF ran in Sci & Inv that inspired Amazing. Oh I don’t have these- and not sure Philsp does either- but I have a gallery link for you: http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/technical/scienceinvention/

Of the 3 sample covs- first 2 are signed, and on third those faces look like the folks on Startling #2 (interesting comparison to the Doolin WT ‘Metal Giants’ cov)- don’t know if the mags credit artists on the insides. The gold ink they used on a lot of the covers is exquisite. 10/20 4/21 5/24

Bonus cov and interior- Aug 1924 has H Brown cov of Frank R Paul’s martian developed inside! (the alien appears many times- Superworld #1 etc)

ScienceAndInvention1920-10.jpg

ScienceAndInvention1921-04.jpg

ScienceAndInvention1924-05.jpg

ScienceAndInvention1924-08.jpg

Paul-Evolution1.jpg

I do have this 1930 Burt- heard that the excitement that this generated running as serial in Sci & Inv 1925 (no cover appearances) was what pushed Hugo past the tipping point in the decision to publish an stf (scientifiction) mag: Amazing Stories. (don't know who artist 'PS' is...)

img629.jpg

best guess on Tarrano cov - Paul Stahr (tho' he usually signed name) as I think is on below 2/11/28 (image from web)

argosy_all_story_weekly_19280211.jpg

|Keep it coming Pat - thanks so much for posting! I am learning some fascinating stuff here! The trouble is, the more I learn, the more I want to buy this stuff - so it could end up being a very expensive lesson! lol

I do have this 1930 Burt- heard that the excitement that this generated running as serial in Sci & Inv 1925 (no cover appearances) was what pushed Hugo past the tipping point in the decision to publish an stf (scientifiction) mag: Amazing Stories. (don't know who artist 'PS' is...)

img629.jpg

The original art to the cover was sold on Heritage a few years ago.

Link

|Keep it coming Pat - thanks so much for posting! I am learning some fascinating stuff here! The trouble is, the more I learn, the more I want to buy this stuff - so it could end up being a very expensive lesson! lol

Alanna, here is a bigger scan of the cover illustration.

beyondthestars.jpg

Argosy (February 11, 1928)

Alanna, here is a bigger scan of the cover illustration.

beyondthestars.jpg

Argosy (February 11, 1928)

Thanks BZ. I love the retro feel to Argosy sci fi/fantasy covers!