• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Just bought The Red Peri off of Ebay! (thumbs u

Any more femmes you can "sell" me Pat?

That was quick action. :applause:

Not exactly on topic...but out in the hallway, just outside my door, is a 1-sheet for Double Indemnity. Whenever anyone mentions femme fatale, I always think of Barbara Stanwyk in her role in this film.

doubleindemnity.jpg

I always think of Barbara Stanwyk
A classy lady and a heck of an actress! That's a wonderful movie to have a poster from. (thumbs u

A classy lady and a heck of an actress! That's a wonderful movie to have a poster from. (thumbs u

She really smouldered in that movie! I also loved her performance in The Bitter Tea of General Yen! (Anderson cover, Alan?)

bitterteaofgeneralyen.jpg

Edited by alanna

Pocket Books produced the first line of paperbacks in the modern format starting in 1939, similar to citing Famous Funnies of 1934 as a start date for the modern mass-market comic book. Obviously both had many precursors. That makes PB’s the youngest of the paper trifecta- pulps, paperbacks, comics- and maybe the slickest. The second revolution came in 1950 with Fawcett’s Gold Medal Books. Whereas Pocket and the other publishers (Dell, Avon, Popular Library, Signet, Bantam, etc) of the 1940s dealt mostly in reprints of novels etc that had been issued in hard covers, Gold Medal specialized in PaperBack Originals (PBO’s) that were first publication. That meant they paid a little more for the content, but it gave their product an appeal others couldn’t match, and in a ‘field of dreams’ scenario ended up with fresh exciting narrative of a style that hadn’t existed before. Gold Medal was such a gold mine that caving on the comics battle can be seen in retrospect as a brilliant and highly profitable business decision…

The below is a perfect example of the GM style, need I mention that the femme figured prominently in the matrix? Barye Phillips did a lot of nice covers in the ‘50s (many GM’s) and beyond, this being one. #163 1951 (GM numbering began with #99. ‘Nude in Mink’ -shown this thread last week- was #105)

img610.jpg

Howard Browne moonlighting from Amazing again with one of his great Paul Pine novels. classic femme cov by ? 1950 pb 1st of 1948 hb

img613.jpg

Very interesting.

I wasn't aware of Howard Browne's writing career.

talk about trifecta: Fawcett femme formula, cool cov (has the Barye P look), and manning the typewriter, the Master of Suspense- Cornell Woolrich. 1950

img616.jpg

I was an enthusiastic collector of vintage paperbacks in the late 1970's / early 80's.

I have the majority of Gold Medal books published from their start in 1949 through the mid 1950's. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can put my hands on them without having to move too many boxes to get to them.

WTMarch34.jpg

Gorgeous copy. :applause:

Interesting note was that "Why Weird Tales" was anonymously written by Otis Adelbert Kline.

Yes sir - I first read the editorial in Weinberg's book (which you recommended, and which I am thoroughly enjoying), so it's nice to have it here in pulp format. :cloud9:

Interesting that Weinberg also picked this as one of Brundage's worst covers. :P

That does not look like an Anderson painting.

I have not yet seen Bitter Tea though I am open to seeing most anything she was in.

She really smouldered in that movie! I also loved her performance in The Bitter Tea of General Yen! (Anderson cover, Alan?)

bitterteaofgeneralyen.jpg

Howard Brown and Howard Browne are 2 different people... got this at early LA PB Con (is Dennis McMillan 1988 cov Joe Servello). Browne had retired Pine after 3 books but in mid '50s Lee Wright, mystery editor at Simon and Shuster, reminded him he owed them a book 'and why not bring back Paul Pine?' So S&S 1957 HB but Dell wanted to cut 5000 words and Wright said no so there was no original pb... it's a memorable encore.

img621.jpg

img622.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun