• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

BTW, I finished the Toth book right before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. The "Battle Flag of the Foreign Legion" story was astounding -- and not one that I had read before.

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326515967&sr=8-2

Thanks for the report about the Alex Toth book.

I have some credit with Amazon and I've been considering purchasing that book or one of the following.

The Life & Art of Mort Meskin,

Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim

Anyone have an opinion about the Meskin or Flash Gordon books?

I love the Flash Gordon/Jungle Jim book. it's great having them in such a large format and I've neve read the Jungle Jim strip before so that's new territory.

BTW, I finished the Toth book right before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. The "Battle Flag of the Foreign Legion" story was astounding -- and not one that I had read before.

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326515967&sr=8-2

I have some credit with Amazon and I've been considering purchasing that book or one of the following.

Yes, I really the Flash Gordon/Jungle Jim book. It is about 12" x 16" and starts to give you the feel of a real Sunday page. Like all of the IDW books, in my opinion, it is a quality production and I am already looking forward to volume 2. I have the Checker series of FG reprints, which I always thought were the best, but I thing the new volume is clearly superior.

I love the Flash Gordon/Jungle Jim book. it's great having them in such a large format and I've neve read the Jungle Jim strip before so that's new territory.

The Meskin book is excellent. I was hoping that I would learn more from it than I did.

To explain, I'm a big fan of Toth, Ditko and Kubert, all of whom were influenced by and speak highly of Mort. While I liked Meskin better after I finished the book, I don't think I understood why he was so highly thought of by the three.

The Meskin book is excellent. I was hoping that I would learn more from it than I did.

To explain, I'm a big fan of Toth, Ditko and Kubert, all of whom were influenced by and speak highly of Mort. While I liked Meskin better after I finished the book, I don't think I understood why he was so highly thought of by the three.

I haven't read any of the comments made by Toth, Ditko, or Kubert regarding Meskin but I have always admired Meskin's approach to storytelling. It was very cinematic in the staging of action and use of shadows. Most comic book artists working in the mid 40's weren't that sophisticated. Apparently it was something Toth admired.

6719773625_59d9a1b6c7_z.jpg

I am kind of partial to the mad scientists like the Avenger who appeared in More Fun 74.

However, the Spectre can be quite convincing when showing a mere mortal the error of his ways.

I think this guy may have found a red suit and returned in an ME publication.

He also may have been inspired by Luthor or the guy that Dr. Fate was debating with on the cover of More Fun 68.

(photoshopped slightly, although I think the colors are more correct)

3837097505_99c2a1836d_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun