• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are additional images for each of the comic covers.

Pop Quiz #1

quiz2012_1.jpg

quiz2012_1b.jpg

This was bugging me as I knew I saw the lantern recently (yesterday when I was cleaning up books!). Thanks to BangZoom for the hint that Scrooge collected this series.

FC 159 Donald Duck in the Ghost of the Grotto!

Here are additional images for each of the comic covers.

Pop Quiz #1

quiz2012_1.jpg

quiz2012_1b.jpg

This was bugging me as I knew I saw the lantern recently (yesterday when I was cleaning up books!). Thanks to BangZoom for the hint that Scrooge collected this series.

lol

That's why I rarely attempt to guess. First place I looked was Duck Four Colors the other day. Looked at them all, and still didn't find it. I guess I just miss the details when snipped out from the overall cover image.

Pop Quiz #1

quiz2012_1.jpg

quiz2012_1b.jpg

^^

You got it. :applause:

donaldduck4c159.jpg

quiz2012_3c.jpg

quiz2012_3.jpg

quiz2012_3b.jpg

Captain Silver's Log of the Sea Hound #1 or nn, take your pick...

^^

seahound1.jpg

Sea Hound (1945)

I never noticed until I scanned this cover that the artist had written a message in the shading of the treasure box.

The writing on the front edge of the lid reads, "Entire contents of this magazine prepared by Jon L. Blummer."

He also hid his name among the filigree he drew on the lock hole cover plate.

treasurebox.jpg

:bump:

A couple of years ago, with the help of BZ, we figured out that Correa swiped an entire Toth page in his work in Four Color 673.

I was going through my copy of Four Color 673 to check condition when I turned to the inside back cover where the story continues and one panel jumped out at me, as much as the figure illustrated is jumping at some baddies. Right there was a Toth image from a cover of All-american Western from 5 years before and this wasn't Toth at work but Bob Correa. Sure enough, that was a pretty good swipe. Here's the evidence below. Note, the Correa art isn't bad at all, esp. in plain B&W. Of course, maybe Toth himself swiped from elsewhere but I am not aware of that -

86125.jpg

86126.jpg

BZ was the one pointing out that the entire page was swiped as per his scan -

allamericanwestern.jpg

Well, tonight, I am reading Correa's work on another Buffalo Bill, Jr. Four Color issue, # 742 and you wouldn't believe it BUT, he used the same swipe AGAIN!!

Check out the jumping / dropping figure and the third panel of the page is yet again that same fist fight swipe. lol

120284.jpg.fa055502da4c0b69ce02e0b206c656b8.jpg

If you're going to swipe, might as well do it from the best. (shrug)

Where did the b&w image of the Toth page come from? It looks too clean to be original art.

BTW, I finished the Toth book right before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. The "Battle Flag of the Foreign Legion" story was astounding -- and not one that I had read before.

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326515967&sr=8-2

Where did the b&w image of the Toth page come from? It looks too clean to be original art.

The B&W is the Correa art. It was on the inside back cover of the Four Color issue and therefore printed in B&W unlike the rest of the story that was in color.

I'm not sure if this is off topic or the right place to post this but I'm looking for some info on this book. I found it today in an antique store in Santa Cruz. Here's the info on the book.

"Bringing Up Father" by Geo McManus

Seventh Series

Cupples and Leon Company Publishers, New York

The copyright info says "1923 by Int'l Feature Service, Inc. Great Britain Rights Reserved"

Thanks for any info

IMG_20120114_000532.jpg

Edited by excelsior1986

I'm not sure if this is off topic or the right place to post this but I'm looking for some info on this book. I found it today in an antique store in Santa Cruz. Here's the info on the book.

"Bringing Up Father" by Geo McManus

Seventh Series

Cupples and Leon Company Publishers, New York

The copyright info says "1923 by Int'l Feature Service, Inc. Great Britain Rights Reserved"

Thanks for any info

IMG_20120114_000532.jpg

Book is listed in the Overstreet guide as worth about $30 in good condition, most of the series are difficult to find in mint condition. Issue 7 is not as rare as the higher numbers. The two hard cover big books are very collectable (for me).

I like those McManus art deco backgrounds. I posted his picture on the thread previously but in case you missed it...

2549661484_859d1ce993_z.jpg

BTW, I finished the Toth book right before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. The "Battle Flag of the Foreign Legion" story was astounding -- and not one that I had read before.

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Isolated-Life-Alex-Toth/dp/1600108288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326515967&sr=8-2

Thanks for the report about the Alex Toth book.

I have some credit with Amazon and I've been considering purchasing that book or one of the following.

The Life & Art of Mort Meskin,

Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim

Anyone have an opinion about the Meskin or Flash Gordon books?

Well, tonight, I am reading Correa's work on another Buffalo Bill, Jr. Four Color issue, # 742 and you wouldn't believe it BUT, he used the same swipe AGAIN!!

Check out the jumping / dropping figure and the third panel of the page is yet again that same fist fight swipe. lol

That's interesting. hm

I noticed a strong Toth vibe when I first began to pay attention to Correa's artwork but I didn't realize he was actually using swipes on occasion.

Oh well.

I still love the work he did for Dell.

Here are samples from Four Color #617.

correa1.jpg

correa2.jpg

correa3.jpg

correa4.jpg

correa4.jpg

I still love the work he did for Dell.

That's because he's swiping Toth lol

AllAmWest122v2.jpg

Excellent interview! Thanks for the link.

That's a beautiful Danger Trail 3!