• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 scam

28 posts in this topic

Obviously the FFE reprint sans outer cover - how original. sleeping.gif

LINK

The tape on the spine was a nice touch though. makepoint.gif

theagenes, i'm not a d.c. collector and know just about nothing about the ffe reprint and the 'tells' that have y'all knowing this is a fake. tell me what it is i'm looking for please.

theagenes, i'm not a d.c. collector and know just about nothing about the ffe reprint and the 'tells' that have y'all knowing this is a fake. tell me what it is i'm looking for please.

It's missing the small buildings in the lower left hand corner, which shows it's a reprint. The size of the magic tape on the spine relative to the size of the book indicates that it's oversized - so it's most likely the 10x13 Famous First Edition.

There's a page that points out the various points of issue of all the reprints for this book and Action 1. Maybe some can post the link?

It's missing the small buildings in the lower left hand corner, which shows it's a reprint. The size of the magic tape on the spine relative to the size of the book indicates that it's oversized - so it's most likely the 10x13 Famous First Edition.

There's a page that points out the various points of issue of all the reprints for this book and Action 1. Maybe some can post the link?

hello all..

there is a page on bipcomics.com, I think, but it only details action 1, tec 27 and whiz 2...I don't ever recall seeing a batman 1?...another reason you know it is a reprint, besides the missing red building lower left corner , is the DC publication indica is more to the left on the original (on the reprint, it is more centered right under the left part of the cape, like under an umbrella)...

rick

hello all..

there is a page on bipcomics.com, I think, but it only details action 1, tec 27 and whiz 2...I don't ever recall seeing a batman 1?...another reason you know it is a reprint, besides the missing red building lower left corner , is the DC publication indica is more to the left on the original (on the reprint, it is more centered right under the left part of the cape, like under an umbrella)...

rick

Yep, that's the page I was talking about. Ithought there was a Batman 1 guide, but I must have been thinking of the Tec 27.

Obviously the FFE reprint sans outer cover - how original. sleeping.gif

LINK

The tape on the spine was a nice touch though. makepoint.gif

In general, the book looks big and flat. That's the first big red-flag. The reprint is treasury-sized whereas the original is a golden-age book. In comparison, a real Batman #1 would look smaller and fatter than the reprint. Let's say, more solid and stout.

Once you get past the red-flag of the size, then you look at the sublte differences between the original and the reprint and the fact that the auction has all the earmarks of a scam.

ok, he responded to me. we'll see what happens, but he said he didn't know it wasn't a reprint and asked for info on how to find out for sure what he had. i gave him the metro website as well as the boards website. he said he would relist it if i showed him more info.

let's see what he does. might not be a scam, just misinformed.

Here is the Batman 1 FFE from the eBay auction:

bat1ffe.jpg

Here is my Batman 1 for comparison:

mm0140.jpg

Another way to tell, other than those obv. reasons is that the printing process in the early 70's was much better. Look at robin's cape, and the grey on Tha Batman, in Bills copy the cape on Robin and grey on bats is for lack of better words very pixil like, on the newer printed reprint it is more smooth and less noticable.

bat1ffe.jpg

mm0140.jpg

Hmm. They don't match.

Who here thinks that BILL's is the reprint? Those colors are awfully bright for a comic book over 65 years old.

Maybe we should set up a poll.

Jack

ok board members. the seller has been in contact with me through the morning. so far, i don't believe he is scamming anyone, just doesn't know what he actually has. so, he asked what the reprint would be worth in the condition shown.

any replies will be mentioned to the seller.

ok board members. the seller has been in contact with me through the morning. so far, i don't believe he is scamming anyone, just doesn't know what he actually has. so, he asked what the reprint would be worth in the condition shown.

any replies will be mentioned to the seller.

$10 at best, in that condition

rick

bat1ffe.jpg

mm0140.jpg

Hmm. They don't match.

Who here thinks that BILL's is the reprint? Those colors are awfully bright for a comic book over 65 years old.

Maybe we should set up a poll.

Jack

I got a poll for ya! poke2.gif

so you are sure it is the famous first edition? i don't collect batman (only detective), so i'm going by what board members post. are there any reprints that look the same (at least cover wise) as the real batman #1?