• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 year anniversary of collecting comics

32 posts in this topic

I'm not one for tooting his own horn, but while looking throught my comic collection, I was looking at some of the 1st books I ever bought. The actual very first comics I bought as a kid 50 years ago. Hard to believe I've been in this hobby that long. Hard to believe those comics survived all these years. Ya hear those horror stories of moms throwing out kids comics in the garbage. Lucky for me that never happened. Amazing I stayed in the hobby with all thats gone on over the years. I'll be a comic book fan for life. I still buy comic today. I guess I'm hooked. grin.gif

Oh! And never missed an issue of Detective Comics.

I think the fact that you still have those first books is awesome too!!! Just curious, what titles were they?

Not by my collection at the moment but from memory here are a few that I remember. Batman #109, Det #246, Brave & Bold #12, Classics Illustrated #162 Robur the Conqueror issue & #? Moby issue, Four Color #675 Steve Donovan Western Marshal. Other titles were World's Finest, Superman, Showcase, My Greatest Adventure, Strange Tales, Journey Into Mystery, and just about any TV show or movie that appeared in comics. It was a great time for comics back then because thats when the new versions of DC superheroes started showing up. Marvel shortly followed with its FF and Spider-Man. And comics were the big rage then. The hight of comics. Just about every boy and girl were reading comics. Comics were in almost every neighborhood store. And there were a lot of neighborhood stores. Some blocks had two or three. Comics were a big thing back then. Today with the superhero movies coming out, it sort of puts comics back in the sptolight. But its not the same as it was back then.