• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA books would you pay 3x Guide or more? (No pedigree/variants/HG)

61 posts in this topic

How about Fox's Blue Beetle 54? confused-smiley-013.gif

GE

I just collect the early Fox titles from the 1939-1941 run, not the GGA books (go figure!). But no doubt you're right that that issue is undervalued.

Any pre-Batman Detective Comics.

I've got a Detective 12 thats in Fn/Fn+ if you're interested.

I might be, although my priority right now is to get a 15 and 18 (I can't afford to buy them all at once, unfortunately). sorry.gif PM me some scans of front and back and an asking price though. thumbsup2.gif

Curious, but are any books so cool cool.gif, rare 893whatthe.gif, desirable cloud9.gif, undervalued ("throw out the guide!" insane.gif) or personally important that you would pay 3x guide or more for mid-grade (FN to VF) copies? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm sure I could think of more, but immediately wanted books that meet this criteria from several different Genre's would include:

Fantastic Comics 3

Tec 28

Tec 35

Reform School Girl!

Man from Planet X

Black Cat Mystery 50

I can honestly say there isn't a single non-pedigree golden age comic book that I would pay 3x guide for in Fn to VF condition. For me, 3x guide or more is reserved for Mile Highs, 9.8s, and sometimes really cool 9.6s.

That sounds like you collect numbers instead of comics.

Does it mean somebody can get you to pay 3x guide for a book, any book whatsoever, that is a mile high or 9.8?

btw, what exactly is guide for a 9.6 if the guide lists nothing above a 9.4 price???

I'm sure I could think of more, but immediately wanted books that meet this criteria from several different Genre's would include:

Fantastic Comics 3

Tec 28

Tec 35

Reform School Girl!

Man from Planet X

Black Cat Mystery 50

No love for Teenage Dope Slaves?

Fantastic Comics 3

Tec 28

Tec 35

Reform School Girl!

Man from Planet X

Black Cat Mystery 50

No love for Teenage Dope Slaves?

A great comic, but I think it's more common than the others above (with the possible exception of the Black Cat). I don't think it traditionally sells for that kind of multiple. I sold one last year, and arrived at my price based on what I had seen of previous sales, and what I had paid for it. It probably ended up being at 1.25 guide (VF-, raw).

Plus, I've heard rumors of some being in the Harvey warehouse books, which would make nice copies a lot more common if it's true.

I can honestly say there isn't a single non-pedigree golden age comic book that I would pay 3x guide for in Fn to VF condition. For me, 3x guide or more is reserved for Mile Highs, 9.8s, and sometimes really cool 9.6s.

That sounds like you collect numbers instead of comics.

Does it mean somebody can get you to pay 3x guide for a book, any book whatsoever, that is a mile high or 9.8?

btw, what exactly is guide for a 9.6 if the guide lists nothing above a 9.4 price???

For the sake of my post I was talking about paying 3x 9.2 guide. In answer to your question, no, I don't think I would take any Mile High at 3x guide. It has to be one that I like. But if its a comic that I want, and its the mile high copy, I will pay 3x guide every time. I think I probably would buy any golden age CGC 9.8 offered to me at 3x 9.2 guide regardless of the title.

Archie 1, OS guide for Archie is kind of low and it needs to be updated. Just my thoughts headbang.gif

That and the Pep 22 are worth at least 3x guide in all grades.

There are many books that worth more than 3x guide, though not necessarily in all grades. I would say many are worth 3x guide in good or less or in near mint or above but are not necessarily worth quite the same mutliples in all the grades in between.

Good call on the War 11. I passed on a copy that was offered here on the boards and I still regret it. One of the MANY MANY times Goldust has snagged a book I should have bought. 893censored-thumb.gif

I knew that once that book was mentioned it was only a matter of time... tongue.gif

For the record that Crime Suspense 22 looks like a deal.

I'd go with BCM 50 (that book has gotten prohibitively expensive lately, even in low grade) and Weird Mysteries 5.

Also Marvel Mystery 37, 40 and Cap 46.

I've paid 3X guide or more for a fair percentage of my collection - classic GA covers continue to be undervalued in the guide. There are dozens of books I would pay 3X guide for just to flip them. A more challenging question would be what would you pay 10X guide for? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure there's something. I think I paid about 7X guide for Roly Poly #14 in VG- about 6-7 years ago - roughly 3X current guide. About ten years ago I bought a VG/F Captain Aero #26 for what was then around 10X guide - over 3X current guide.

I've paid 3X guide or more for a fair percentage of my collection - classic GA covers continue to be undervalued in the guide. There are dozens of books I would pay 3X guide for just to flip them. A more challenging question would be what would you pay 10X guide for? I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure there's something. I think I paid about 7X guide for Roly Poly #14 in VG- about 6-7 years ago - roughly 3X current guide. About ten years ago I bought a VG/F Captain Aero #26 for what was then around 10X guide - over 3X current guide.

If the last few years are any indication of what to expect in the future, you may ultimately be unable to find any decent books you can even buy for less than 3x guide because guide will continue to have them at last century's prices,