• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I Sell my High Grade BA/CA Collection?

41 posts in this topic

Giving this some serious thought so I can use the proceeds to acquire GA books. Have to do an inventory but I have about 100+ CGC 9.8 books, some 9.6's (a number of them Pedigree copies) of main stream titles such as Thor, FF's, Cap's, Avengers and a few other series. It has been a labour of love putting these books together as many of them bring back great memories of my first days as a collector. Have been tourmenting myself for the past 3-4 months on whether I should do it or not as I would defintely miss them but they could be replaced with about 12-15 GA gems to add to my collection. What do you think, am I crazy, will I regret this a few years from now. A lot of these books are classic cover pieces from great artists from what I consider to be the 2nd "golden age" era of Marvel comics. confused.gif

My advice is to keep the books that have sentimental value (not replaceable) and some of the great covers, but sell anything else you think you could sell and not regret. One thing I do when I get an urge to sell books is to let everything sit for a few weeks or months. If the desire to sell a specific book or title comes back, then I do it. If I look again and say, Nope, I want to keep that book, then it doesn't get sold.

Consider also that a lot of BA and CA is replaceable whereas a lot of GA cannot be easily replaced or found, especially in high grade.

I can see your love for Golden Age books in your postings, so I can see why you would consider selling off your Bronze/Copper stuff.

I had the same thoughts as you not too long ago. I had about 25 Silver Age books I really liked but had a growing affection for GA stuff. I decided to keep my 5 favorite SA books and sell the rest. To be honest I don't miss them at all.

I suggest you do something similar. Keep your favorite 15 books and think about selling the rest. That way you still keep some of the good memories they bring you. Anyway good luck. thumbsup2.gif

I certainly don't think you're crazy since I feel the same way about my SA/BA collection. It's been almost 3 years since I purchased anything other than GA, but I still can't bring myself to sell these books. I think the fear is that once I sell my ASM, X-Men, etc. collections, I may never re-purchase these books again. crazy.gif

For me, it would be a no brainer. From my point of view, I would be just as happy with a vfnm copy of a book I wanted as a 'high grade' copy. I think if you can imagine yourself being happy with 'lesser' copies, I would absolutely sell them all straight away, and buy GA instead. You will always be able to buy less than HG copies for under guide.

In fact, I've already sold ALL my silver age apart from Strange Tales. Almost all my bronze books are now sold. And next up, almost all my copper are going.

I personally have never heard of anyone ever regretting selling SA, BA or MA to buy Golden Age. Typically GA collectors never turn back.

From at least a strictly financial point of view, who knows? I don't have a real understanding of HG collecting to say what will be worth money in 10 years- HG may keep exploding in value, or crash and burn. But I would say with 99% certainty that GA will never go down in value.

It's been almost 3 years since I purchased anything other than GA, but I still can't bring myself to sell these books. I think the fear is that once I sell my ASM, X-Men, etc. collections, I may never re-purchase these books again. crazy.gif

That's almost exactly describes my situation but I have been purchasing BA gems along the way. Would like to keep my "favorites" but that would be at least 30+ of some of the best books from my collection. I do have duplicate high grade raw copies for a lot of these so perhaps that will provide some solace. I guess long term I'd like to have a mixture of both GA and BA gems but there has been so much great GA material hitting the market in the last year that I would be extremely happy with only 40 of my favorite GA books in my main collection (and then there is all the storage space I could save crazy.gif )

I did unload almost all of my SA material a few years ago but the BA stuff is much harder to part with. I will start making some inquiries as to what would be the best way to unload these, my first hunch is to do via an auction perhaps Comiclink or another major dealer.

Assuming your BA books are high grade; ask yourself, would you be content with all of them as vf+ books, PLUS a nice GA collection? Is the high grade part of the main appeal to you? Or simply the books and memories themselves?

It all depends on how you enjoy your books, but from a viewpoint of pure scarcity I'd say sell the Silver every time. Get the Gold books now before more people figure this whole thing out. ESPECIALLY if you have dupes of your favorites. I can't see the super high grade thing sustaining (but I've never been accused of having financial skills) simply because there are so damn many of the SA books floating around.

Assuming your BA books are high grade; ask yourself, would you be content with all of them as vf+ books, PLUS a nice GA collection? Is the high grade part of the main appeal to you? Or simply the books and memories themselves?

Bit of both, the high grades are special but since I have started to crack out most of my GA books I am leaning towards unloading the slabbs. The more I talk about it the more I want to do it. juggle.gif

Bit of both, the high grades are special but since I have started to crack out most of my GA books I am leaning towards unloading the slabbs. The more I talk about it the more I want to do it. juggle.gif

thumbsup2.gif do it.

27_laughing.gif

That is like you asking a Chevy Corvette Convention if you should sell your Vintage Ford Mustang and buy a Vintage Corvette!! Of course they will say sell!

Seriously though, if anything take your time..do not make a rash decision you might regret later. And start out small.

Sell of a few choice SA keys, then buy one nice GA key..see how it feels. Your heart will tell you what to do from that point.

Good luck

Ze-

Peter,

I would say you are a true collector and while the values will definately increase on your high grade BA/CA slabs, you will find much enjoyment from your high grade non-slabbed books. I would keep maybe 10-20 you just cant live without, and sell the rest for your passion of GA, I wouldn't advocate this except you stated you have under copies which are also real nice, I am guessing VF/NM range. Then the money you free up for GA will not only return better, but give you what you as a hobbiest are into at the present. No matter how you look at it, in 10 to 20 years a MMC 9 will cost a hell of lot more, and be super hard to find. Where as bronze age books were heavily collected and there are many, many surviving copies. Even more so for the copper age! I have found that in the last year, Silver,bronze, and copper have very little impact on me as a collector. I find a issue of just about anything I want or need. In GA, the hunt is always on, competing for books, and trying to find a nice affordable copy is a rush and adds to my experience as a collector. Also from a Art standpoiint, go back to the beginning is a trip through time and brings me into the comics more than any other comic genra. I get very little rush from any other comics, not that I don't apprieciate Silver or Bronze, I still buy them, but I am not so excited I can't wait for the mail to come everyday. With GA, I wait not so patiently ever day until the book arrives and retreat to my Bat cave(comic room) and settle down to pervey over the entire book and then quickly scan it to share with you guys. Then read it and place it in mylar and so forth. I have a near complete run of Silver and Bronze Marvel, which I have never posted on the Boards, why? There is tons of it, look through the threads, even Amazing Fantasy 15 is not hard to find. Usually about 5 copies on ebay every day, then again try to find a Tec 22, or Mystic Comics 3, or any pre hero DC comic. Or in your case an affordable MMC 9, you might have to wait years to buy one.

So Yes sell em, keep the under copies and get the stuff you as a collector are into and will enjoy ever day.

Just MHO

Paul

I would say you are a true collector and while the values will definately increase on your high grade BA/CA slabs, you will find much enjoyment from your high grade non-slabbed books. I would keep maybe 10-20 you just cant live without, and sell the rest for your passion of GA, I wouldn't advocate this except you stated you have under copies which are also real nice, I am guessing VF/NM range. Then the money you free up for GA will not only return better, but give you what you as a hobbiest are into at the present. No matter how you look at it, in 10 to 20 years a MMC 9 will cost a hell of lot more, and be super hard to find. Where as bronze age books were heavily collected and there are many, many surviving copies. Even more so for the copper age! I have found that in the last year, Silver,bronze, and copper have very little impact on me as a collector. I find a issue of just about anything I want or need. In GA, the hunt is always on, competing for books, and trying to find a nice affordable copy is a rush and adds to my experience as a collector. Also from a Art standpoiint, go back to the beginning is a trip through time and brings me into the comics more than any other comic genra. I get very little rush from any other comics, not that I don't apprieciate Silver or Bronze, I still buy them, but I am not so excited I can't wait for the mail to come everyday. With GA, I wait not so patiently ever day until the book arrives and retreat to my Bat cave(comic room) and settle down to pervey over the entire book and then quickly scan it to share with you guys. Then read it and place it in mylar and so forth. I have a near complete run of Silver and Bronze Marvel, which I have never posted on the Boards, why? There is tons of it, look through the threads, even Amazing Fantasy 15 is not hard to find. Usually about 5 copies on ebay every day, then again try to find a Tec 22, or Mystic Comics 3, or any pre hero DC comic. Or in your case an affordable MMC 9, you might have to wait years to buy one.

So Yes sell em, keep the under copies and get the stuff you as a collector are into and will enjoy ever day.

Just MHO

Paul

My sentiments exactly. Eloquently said. 893applaud-thumb.gif