• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I Sell my High Grade BA/CA Collection?

41 posts in this topic

Paul good advice, I may keep a dozen or so of my favorite books but the GA hunt is certainly a better thrill for me. I'm all about classic books especially if they are rare and I do think that prices will continue to climb year-over-year because demand will continue to rise but supply will barely move.

Giving this some serious thought so I can use the proceeds to acquire GA books. Have to do an inventory but I have about 100+ CGC 9.8 books, some 9.6's (a number of them Pedigree copies) of main stream titles such as Thor, FF's, Cap's, Avengers and a few other series. It has been a labour of love putting these books together as many of them bring back great memories of my first days as a collector. Have been tourmenting myself for the past 3-4 months on whether I should do it or not as I would defintely miss them but they could be replaced with about 12-15 GA gems to add to my collection. What do you think, am I crazy, will I regret this a few years from now. A lot of these books are classic cover pieces from great artists from what I consider to be the 2nd "golden age" era of Marvel comics. confused.gif

Don't sell. You're too likely to go after books I want and I don't need the competition! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif

Peter, go with what your heart tells you. I'm a silver collector first , believe it or not , but I love my golden age.. There's something special to owning them as you guys know on these boards. the look , feel, smell . etc, Now i will tell you this, when I have sold or traded Silver for Gold , I think I got a better deal. For instance , I sold about 2 years ago a nice copy of Showcase # 14, plus some cash for a Amazing Mystery Funnies # 1 . Don' t regret it . Sure I miss my Showcase , but I may purchase another copy in the future. Then again maybe not, since I already owned a copy once & go after books I don' have. Wish you luck in your decision.

Hmmm. I wonder if I could trade a SA Flash run for a Flash Comics #1.

Including the Showcase issues? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Full run for me is 105-350. Although I do have Showcase 8 and 13. I just started taking inventory of all my bronze DC (excluding Flash) and will be sending a big stack off for "Value" pricing.

Tough decision.

I've got my full run of Conan (1-275) that I started when I was a kid, and when I look at each cover I can tell you what happened in the book because I read them more than once. I know they aren't very desireable, but I won't sell them because of the memories I have attached.

Definitely a personal choice. Which ever one you decide, don't look back and be happy with it!

If it helps you any, as a BA collector myself recently bitten by the GA collector bug, I've been thinking about selling (or at least parring down) my BA collection to both generate some funds and make room for my new collecting niche. So my answer to your topic header is yes! You can always replace the BA/CA collection if you get nostalgia.

I have been contemplating the exact same thing Surfer. I'll keep my Flash, JLA and Avengers for now, but all the war I've accumulated is on it's way to cgc as we speak for a major sell off so I can start getting books off my new GA want-list. Good luck with your decision...it took me about 5 months to finally decide to sell.-John

I sold most of my HG BA (and later SA) collection a few years back, used the $$ to buy GA (and some earlier SA), and haven't looked back. Have you read the X-men 79 thread in the BA forum? There's lots of discussion of doing just what you're thinking about doing. GA books have gotten quite a bit more expensive lately though, so much so that I would consider selling some GA to "buy back" some of those nice BA/SA books I sold a few years back, except that those BA/SA books haven't gotten any cheaper since I sold 'em, so what's the point? I don't really see an underpriced area in the market now for stuff I collect, so my buying has really slowed down lately until the market cools off a little bit.

One thing I'm glad I didn't do is sell the BA/SA books that I collected "back in the day". I mostly sold books that I had shifted my collecting interest to/fro over the years, but kept the books I loved as a kid, as well as those that I only dreamt of owning back then but was only able to purchase after graduating and generating some income (Hulk 1-6, the Marvel SA keys, etc). So, for example, if you loved those sweet Simonson Thors as a kid, don't sell 'em now that your tastes have changed or you might regret it later! thumbsup2.gif

I sold most of my HG BA (and later SA) collection a few years back, used the $$ to buy GA (and some earlier SA), and haven't looked back. Have you read the X-men 79 thread in the BA forum? There's lots of discussion of doing just what you're thinking about doing. GA books have gotten quite a bit more expensive lately though, so much so that I would consider selling some GA to "buy back" some of those nice BA/SA books I sold a few years back, except that those BA/SA books haven't gotten any cheaper since I sold 'em, so what's the point? I don't really see an underpriced area in the market now for stuff I collect, so my buying has really slowed down lately until the market cools off a little bit.

One thing I'm glad I didn't do is sell the BA/SA books that I collected "back in the day". I mostly sold books that I had shifted my collecting interest to/fro over the years, but kept the books I loved as a kid, as well as those that I only dreamt of owning back then but was only able to purchase after graduating and generating some income (Hulk 1-6, the Marvel SA keys, etc). So, for example, if you loved those sweet Simonson Thors as a kid, don't sell 'em now that your tastes have changed or you might regret it later! thumbsup2.gif

Paul-keep your favorites and go for the GOLD!

Punny here's my first flip so to speak. I'm very happy with the result:

MMC88CAD.jpg [/quote

What a Sweet looking book & off white to white pages to boot!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif]