• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicholas Cage Pedigree

182 posts in this topic

What bothers me is...who decides how much is enough to get their name on the label...is it 1,000 books submitted?...is it 500 books submitted?...is it $5,000 worth of submissions?..Do you need to have an Acadamy Award or can you have just appeared in a sitcom?...

What exactly is the criteria and who decides if it has been met?...Basically we are fumbling in the dark here without any distinctive postion on CGC policy concerning this matter...

Interesting thread. I like to take a simple approach on the subject - it doesn't make much nevermind to me that a CGC slabbed book was owned by Nic Cage, so I wouldn't pay more for it than the same book not noted as FTCO Nic Cage. For those that do perceive additional value of the notation may bid/pay more than I for the book, and so be it. But understand, I'm not missing the overall point. And at least CGC isn't confusing the FTCO and the Pedigree books, making the FTCO notation more of a grader's note than a Pedigree designation.

I'm surprised no one has theorized or inquired as whether with this "special treatment" by getting the FTCO Nic Cage notation also came with "less than impartial" grading. Has anyone seen any of these books up close, and have any comments?

Good luck to all. grin.gif

I think one of the things missing is that Nic Cage didn't submit these books, Heritage did. Heritage did this as a marketing ploy and we know that Heritage has a way of bending CGC (sometimes) to what appears to be their favor.

Also, not to defend him but to recap some interviews I've heard, Nic Cage had owned these books for a very long time, many since he was 11 or 12. Many of them are within one owner or the original owner.

I'm surprised no one has theorized or inquired as whether with this "special treatment" by getting the FTCO Nic Cage notation also came with "less than impartial" grading. Has anyone seen any of these books up close, and have any comments?

I think the quicker we put forth that CGC does not relax their grading guidelines for ANYONE, and the more the collecting community realizes and accepts this, the better things will get down the road. The general mistrust and unfounded conspiracy theories floating around do nothing else but foster the general spirit of mistrust and jealousy in the comic collecting community today. Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere. I'd take all such diatribes with a grain (a like, more likely) of salt smile.gif

Has anyone seen any of these books up close, and have any comments?

I forgot to address this, but yes, they were up on Heritage and some were really nice copies, some were beat up POS condition and they were graded as such smile.gif

Interesting thread. I like to take a simple approach on the subject - it doesn't make much nevermind to me that a CGC slabbed book was owned by Nic Cage, so I wouldn't pay more for it than the same book not noted as FTCO Nic Cage. For those that do perceive additional value of the notation may bid/pay more than I for the book, and so be it. But understand, I'm not missing the overall point. And at least CGC isn't confusing the FTCO and the Pedigree books, making the FTCO notation more of a grader's note than a Pedigree designation.

"Could their grading have been swayed as well with those books?" I mentioned to this earlier in the thread. I doubt it highly as CGC does seem to be a moral company; I still wish they hadn't mixed star hype with comics.

I think it's a good thing,since i told my mrs that Nicholas Cage collected comics she's looked at me in a different light.

Our sex life has improved 10 fold!!

All i have to do is jump on the bed clutching a few slabbed comics and we're away!!!!! acclaim.gif

For a first post, that's some funny sh*t... 27_laughing.gif

As far as label notations affecting the "hype" of the book, there's no difference between the Cage notation and the Edgar Church notation as far as whether or not it should be on the label - a 9.4 is a 9.4 whether it comes from me or Edgar Church, right?

Therein lies the rub. There *IS* a difference clearly between Edgar Church and Cage. Church bought all of his copies from the newsstand when they were brand new, hence the nomenclature "pedigree".

Yep, that's the kicker... hell, at least Dallas Stevens READ some of the books he collected... I doubt if Cage did.

*More importantly, IMHO, the space taken up by "from the collection of Nic Cage" could be used for much more important info re: the comic in question... its defects, as one example.

*More importantly, IMHO, the space taken up by "from the collection of Nic Cage" could be used for much more important info re: the comic in question... its defects, as one example.

Exactly. sumo.gif

I think one of the things missing is that Nic Cage didn't submit these books, Heritage did. Heritage did this as a marketing ploy and we know that Heritage has a way of bending CGC (sometimes) to what appears to be their favor.

Also, not to defend him but to recap some interviews I've heard, Nic Cage had owned these books for a very long time, many since he was 11 or 12. Many of them are within one owner or the original owner.

Okay, I stand corrected based on my previous post above... if in fact Cage had some/many of these books for 20 years or so... but I'd still say that he didn't read the key books, which I thought he'd purchased in the past few years. As for the others being within one owner or the original owner, that's not even close to qualifying them as a pedigree. There are other, more important criteria.

I ve been away from the forum for a few days and just noticed this post. I own one of Nick Cages books a nice Planet. How was it purchased? For the same price the book would go for if it was not Nick Cages! But, I probably would have paid a few more dollars for the book if need be. Why, well first, that particular book has a great cover and I was looking for one for a long time. Second, the fact that Nick Cage once owned a large collection and that I am a fan of many of his movies puts the book in a different light. Its not only a book that I wanted and needed that number but also has his ownership at one point included. If I can get all this for about the same money that I would normally pay for the book. They, I say to myself. Hey, why not. I enjoyed his movie "The Rock" and a few other movies he did. Nothing wrong with a little extra provinence on a piece. I see nothing wrong with it but I do understand where a purist may consider this out of the realm of comics. Perhaps it is, but I figure like anything in history. 20 years from now it will be remembered that a certain movie star used to collect comics and here is a few of his books still around in collectors hands. I figure its no different than a piece of coal from the titanic or JFKs plate from his den. Its a comic with a little something extra for the collector. If Sean Connery or Arnold once owned a big comic collection, I would like to know that the comic I owned once was from their collections. I feel, there is no right or wrong answer here. Only preference. Escpecially if you can buy if for the same money you would without the extra name on the label.

Fair enough, Nolm... but where does it end? It's not like the CGC label is 40 feet x 60 feet, and can accommodate any and all notations ad nauseum. What if Cage sold the book to Brad Pitt - do you want that on the label, too? What if Brad lets Jennifer read the book, or put it under her pillow - does that increase its appeal in your eyes? (Not mocking YOU here, but the general concept.)

I'm as much a fan of the history of comic book collecting as I am of comic books. I've read everything on 'pedigreed' collections that I could find. And I'm still not totally sold on the concept of pedigrees, as a measure of a comic's value.

At least the coal actually sank with the Titanic. At least the boxer shorts were worn by a U.S. president.

There's no way the tiny, valuable real estate that CGC's labels represent should be wasted on "Once passed through the hands of Nicholas Cage" ...!!

Clearly, this is an example of CGC giving the nod to a preferred customer, just as they did with Dallas Stevens/Chuck "Pedigree Dogfood" Rosanski.

What's troubling about this is, the comic collecting market/community has already been dramatically altered by money in the recent past. This type of "premium" placed on a book and used strictly for the purpose of garnering more money just adds another patina of mercenary thinking, that we really, really don't need.

Can you blame CGC? I'm not sure. In most industries, you'd say, "well, they gotta make a buck like everyone else." But since CGC has set itself up as a sort of arbiter and protector of comics, they should have some limits when it comes to selling out.

Can you blame CGC? I'm not sure. In most industries, you'd say, "well, they gotta make a buck like everyone else." But since CGC has set itself up as a sort of arbiter and protector of comics, they should have some limits when it comes to selling out.

Or could you take this "selling out" and come away with the notion that CGC, by putting this "FTCO Nic Cage" on the label as "mainstreaming", not just the book but comics in general. This would lead to some influx of new money from previously untapped sources and spread the message to the masses that comic collecting is for everyone. If stars like Nic Cage collect comics, and he's cool, so collecting comics can be cool too... I know this is silly drivel to us, but many people actually follow along this line of thinking

Cage is probably the most famous comic book collector out there, especially now after the media attention that him selling his collection brought.

At the very least, I think that the "Cage Collection" brought some great press to the hobby. For that alone, I have no beef with the CGC labeling.

Positive press is good enough for me.

DAM

But does the CGC label need to acknowledge this in order for such press coverage to materialize? Not at all. In fact, I'd be curious to see if any of the coverage included imagery (either still shots in print, or video footage) actually showing a CGCed book with the "FTCO Nic Cage" label legible...

I agree with the notion of the Cage collection raising awareness of comic book collecting, and agree that this is a good thing. But to go back to my earlier analogy, if Jennifer Aniston sleeps with a slabbed copy of ASM 129 under her pillow, does that need to be noted on the label of that particular copy, in order for that info to be publicized?

CGC could simply issue a press release announcing that they've slabbed X00 comics from the collection of Nic Cage - in fact, I'd gues that they did issue such an announcement - and accomplish far more than putting that info in 6-point type on their label.

Let's face it, the new fans you're suggesting will/would be attracted to comics and comic book collecting by hearing about the "Nic Cage collection" will never own one of those books personally anway, in 99.99% of cases.

The general mistrust and unfounded conspiracy theories floating around do nothing else but foster the general spirit of mistrust and jealousy in the comic collecting community today. Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere. I'd take all such diatribes with a grain (a like, more likely) of salt smile.gif

You're in on it! 893whatthe.gif

Ohhhhhhh, the conspiracy runs deeeeeep.

I knew you couldn't be trusted. makepoint.gif

To my way of thinking, if anything, the notation "from the Nic Cage collection" has more negative connotations than positive ones.

Nic was just one of the owners on books in a long line of provenance (owners), some of which, were already Pedigree books (most notably, Mile Highs.... real ones, Church copies..not those second and third generation Mile high contrived finds named such to stimulate interest on the heels of the original Mile High Golden age find.

From what I've heard, there are many suspect and controversial undertones to many of the pieces that Nic owned. Books that he may have bought as untouched (yes, Church copies as well) and later were discovered upon slabbing by CGC to contain varying degrees of c.t., glue, cleaning, etc., some given a blue with restoration noted, others given an outright purple.

There are also a small handful of Nic Cage books that have been cleaned up, resubmitted for a higher grade, acheived that higher grade, and now the Nic Cage notation has magically disappeared from the label. I can't remember exactly where I read this on the Board but I did notice and read threads on the subject in surfing past threads.

I think that lists of previous owners on a label is outlandish on a CGC item. Denoting which original collection a piece is from, if that collection is well documented for the incredible condition of its components should always be mentioned (Church/Mile High, Denver, Allentown, etc.).

But to go back to my earlier analogy, if Jennifer Aniston sleeps with a slabbed copy of ASM 129 under her pillow, does that need to be noted on the label of that particular copy, in order for that info to be publicized?

Maybe a bad example but I would buy the book if it slept with Jennifer Aniston, that would be the closest I would get to sleeping with her. If I had slept with Jennifer Aniston I would have shirts made saying so!!

The general mistrust and unfounded conspiracy theories floating around do nothing else but foster the general spirit of mistrust and jealousy in the comic collecting community today. Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere. I'd take all such diatribes with a grain (a like, more likely) of salt

Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere.

Just wanted to make sure everyone caught that. Nicely said Carl.