• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most under-rated title of the Golden Age???

31 posts in this topic

Of all of the more mainstream titles of the Golden Age (DC and Timely/Marvel) which title do you feel is the most under-rated? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll post my vote in a bit...

Of all of the more mainstream titles of the Golden Age (DC and Timely/Marvel) which title do you feel is the most under-rated? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't know how mainstream it is, but I vote for Air Fighters Comics. Great art, innovative covers, Valkyrie...

I don't know how mainstream it is, but I vote for Air Fighters Comics. Great art, innovative covers, Valkyrie...

I'll agree with that, even though my first instinct would be to say Top Notch.

My vote is for Star Spangled. I rarely hear anyone talk about the series or post any of the comics.

I heard a podcast about the series a few weeks ago and thought it would be cool title to collect... from Star Spangled Kid to the Newsboy Legion to the Robin/Batman issues to Ghost Breaker to the war/dinosaur stories (including Mademoiselle Marie) to Enemy Ace and finally the Unknown Soldier.

Just one long, cool series with a lot of diverse stories and covers.

thumbsup2.gif on the Air Fighters.

As for DC/Timely books - All-American - folks get excited over #16 and #61, but that's about it. The early GL AA covers have a similar look to early Detectives, and the later issues have Alex Toth artwork. Meyers Scribbly is one of the best written strips of the GA - The Red Tornado story arc is a classic. And Ultra-Man is probably the the least loved and most forgotten of the early DC heroes (especially among cover features). I'm not saying it's my favorite DC title of the era - but compared to the rest I'd say it's underappreciated. Other than Sensation its probably the only Golden Age DC Anthology title where one can still pick up Super-hero covers in the VG range for under $100.

My vote is for Star Spangled. I rarely hear anyone talk about the series or post any of the comics.

I heard a podcast about the series a few weeks ago and thought it would be cool title to collect... from Star Spangled Kid to the Newsboy Legion to the Robin/Batman issues to Ghost Breaker to the war/dinosaur stories (including Mademoiselle Marie) to Enemy Ace and finally the Unknown Soldier.

foreheadslap.gif Completely forgot about that title - I guess it wins!

I feel one of the most under-rated titles based on its' significance of included superheroes and when compared to the likes of Detective, Action, etc., is Adventure Comics.

And just think, the title started out with this humble offering and grew from there.

mm0171.jpg

mm0172.jpg

And just think, the title started out with this humble offering and grew from there.

mm0171.jpg

mm0172.jpg

No offense to any Star Spangled collectors, or GA collectors in general, but the artwork on that cover and back cover is just atrocious.

The robot is pretty good.

Hey Bill, check it out. Smiling guys in skin tight suits. Just what I was asking for!

I thought the eyebrows on the villain were... very long.

Seriously, though, while there are some lame parts of this title during the GA, it did take some very interesting turns and the war era offers a little of bit of everything that is good about DC War.

Hey Bill, check it out. Smiling guys in skin tight suits. Just what I was asking for!

I left your request in the other thread......one at a time bro! grin.gif

And let's not forget Tomahawk in those late 40's / early 50's Star Spangled.

thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I think Ibis the Invincible is the most underrated GA title of all. tongue.gif

hail.gif