• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most under-rated title of the Golden Age???

31 posts in this topic

And let's not forget Tomahawk in those late 40's / early 50's Star Spangled.

thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I think Ibis the Invincible is the most underrated GA title of all. tongue.gif

The title as a whole is pretty lame, but I think the first and third issues are quite exceptional! wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I think Ibis the Invincible is the most underrated GA title of all. tongue.gif

The title as a whole is pretty lame, but I think the first and third issues are quite exceptional! wink.gif

27_laughing.gifyay.gif

I have to go with the "W"...Whiz and Wonder Woman ...

rick

I'm going to go with a "W" too, but for "Walt Disney's Comics & Stories". Many of the issues contain art and stories by Carl Barks (many of them classic Duck stories), but they typically go for a fraction of the price that a Four Color Duck issue from the same time period would command.

thumbsup2.gif

hail.gif

Don't! gossip.gif He bought the Mile high copies recently, gratuitous self promotion if there ever was a case of it frustrated.gifpoke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

ibis3frontxo6.jpg

No love for #2?

smalleribis27cd.jpg

My vote is for Star Spangled. I rarely hear anyone talk about the series or post any of the comics.

I heard a podcast about the series a few weeks ago and thought it would be cool title to collect... from Star Spangled Kid to the Newsboy Legion to the Robin/Batman issues to Ghost Breaker to the war/dinosaur stories (including Mademoiselle Marie) to Enemy Ace and finally the Unknown Soldier.

Just one long, cool series with a lot of diverse stories and covers.

I'd go along with Newsboy Legion as the most under-rated of the Simon & Kirby strips. thumbsup2.gif

But the later stuff (Marie, von Hammer, Unknown) actually belongs to the 2nd series Star-Spangled War Stories. It's confusing because the latter issues of the Golden Age Star-Spangled Comics were indeed renamed to Star-Spangled War Stories. But most of the war stuff we remember today is from the second series. Not that it matters: a collection of both series would indeed be a cool thing to own. cloud9.gif