• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love me some variants!

20 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who LOVES collecting nice, rare modern variants? I just recently got Wolverine 145 nabisco, Superman/Batman 1 RRP and Ultimate Spider-man 1 white variant. I think the thing that gets me worked up on these is that the cover art (and the back art of the Wolv. 145) is so beautiful especially compared to the regular editions. The first two that I mentioned just came in the mail and I cannot stop drooling over the covers. I love it.

Also I get variants because I HATE seeing barcodes on the cover of my comics. It just ruins everything. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate barcodes. (I know there's a barcode on the Ult. Spidey 1 but it blends so well into the rest of the cover that you don't notice it)

Also I get variants because I HATE seeing barcodes on the cover of my comics. It just ruins everything. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate barcodes. (I know there's a barcode on the Ult. Spidey 1 but it blends so well into the rest of the cover that you don't notice it)

Start buying your comics at a LCS to avoid bar codes. gossip.gif

I buy 99% of my moderns at my LCS and they get their books from Diamond, almost all of them have bar codes. What am I missing?

LCS sell books with barcodes gossip.gif

I doubt you are the only person that loves 'em.

Not my cup of tea anymore. Burnt myself on the 90s variants and I really dislike that books have a manufactured value. It's similar to the card industry. What started out as a good idea has, in my opinion, tainted that hobby. Inserting sports memorabilia into the card was originally fun and exciting but now it's so rampant that it's devalued it. At least in cards a person has the random potential of pulling that rarity. In comics, you have to hope that the LCS even got a copy and then pay a hefty price when they did.

To top it off, it wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many occurrences lately. I didn't think New Avengers would ever stop. Dynamites probably one of the worst in that regard.

Pat

Am I the only one who LOVES collecting nice, rare modern variants? I just recently got Wolverine 145 nabisco, Superman/Batman 1 RRP and Ultimate Spider-man 1 white variant. I think the thing that gets me worked up on these is that the cover art (and the back art of the Wolv. 145) is so beautiful especially compared to the regular editions. The first two that I mentioned just came in the mail and I cannot stop drooling over the covers. I love it.

Yep, I'm a sucker for modern variants as well thumbsup2.gif

I enjoy collecting, so the variants just add to the chase. Not fond of the super rare ones though.

Best purchase was the Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2, Issue 1 sketch cover, with a spider-man sketch by John Romita, Sr. (one of 300 issues). cloud9.gif Got that one at my LCS.

I think they are getting a little crazy lately though. screwy.gif

would love a walking dead variant

gossip.gif There is actually is a variant on issue #1

What does that look like? It's the same cover right? I think an awesome variant to each issue was if they put the back cover on the front. Those back covers are great!

What does that look like? It's the same cover right? I think an awesome variant to each issue was if they put the back cover on the front. Those back covers are great!

The variant is very hard to notice....and yes, it is the same regular cover. The only difference is where it says "mature readers" under the issue number/cover price. Most issues of #1 will have the "mature readers" warning in white letters....well, there are also copies that have this warning printed in black letters (don't own one, but have seen a few). Supposedly there is also a variation with no warning printed at all (although I've never seen one of these).

thumbsup2.gif

The variant is very hard to notice....and yes, it is the same regular cover. The only difference is where it says "mature readers" under the issue number/cover price. Most issues of #1 will have the "mature readers" warning in white letters....well, there are also copies that have this warning printed in black letters (don't own one, but have seen a few). Supposedly there is also a variation with no warning printed at all (although I've never seen one of these).

thumbsup2.gif

My copy has the black letters "Mature Readers." I don't have a scanner or I'd post it.