• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Marvel Silver age Keys!

18 posts in this topic

No, I don't think they do. They do come by at least my office and pick up and delever back to me. Or you can drop at the LCS and they will pick up and drop off there to avoid shipping charges. The Tos is really, really, really nice, but it has really discolored staples with rust. Also the front cover is faded, otherwise it would be 7.0 all day long. Its correctly graded, I think it could have been stretched to a 5.0 even with that, but even overstreet doesn't allow for it to be better than VG+ with those issues. Its one of those books which is always going to look way above the grade.

Looking at these books I have to ask you how you feel about PGX vs CGC. I also wonder about the consistency. Would appear your TOS 39 is a lot nicer than 4.5 but your JIM 83 doesn't look like a 5.5. Regardless, the TOS is the better book. I stopped using PGX back when they were CGG because I thought they were inconsistent and too harsh on recent books. For wxample, I bought 50 She Hulk 1's for 50 cents each many years ago. Almost all I sent in to CGC came back 9.6 and CGG 9.4 so I sent the same book to both and same think happened. yet I had DD1 I thought was 7.0 come back 8.5 from CGG! I've got a couple graded 83's somewhere I'll try to post for comparison

keith contarino

Looking at these books I have to ask you how you feel about PGX vs CGC. I also wonder about the consistency. Would appear your TOS 39 is a lot nicer than 4.5 but your JIM 83 doesn't look like a 5.5. Regardless, the TOS is the better book. I stopped using PGX back when they were CGG because I thought they were inconsistent and too harsh on recent books. For wxample, I bought 50 She Hulk 1's for 50 cents each many years ago. Almost all I sent in to CGC came back 9.6 and CGG 9.4 so I sent the same book to both and same think happened. yet I had DD1 I thought was 7.0 come back 8.5 from CGG! I've got a couple graded 83's somewhere I'll try to post for comparison

keith contarino

I like PGX a lot, I also like CGC! Since PGX is local and I prefer their holder over CGC I do business mostly with them. I think they both do an excellent job, never perfect, but overall they are both highly skilled and provide a great service. That being said, I too agree that the Jim is overgraded, it is the only book they have ever done that with. PGX is a tad strict overall as compared to my grading and I would say my experience with CGC at least in the F/VF and up range. The Tos is accurately graded, as the book is an easy F/VF, but has rusty staples, so it really shouldn't go over a VG, but it got a bump due to its otherwise nice shape. The rust bleeds ever so slightly on the back cover, otherwise very nice. Most of the time I have found CGC and PGX real close, and if price and speed were equall I would you CGC. I am not a dealer I collect and usually never sell, unless I have upgraded, or loose interest in a title. For me it gives protection for higher end books and keeps them liquid. I have found that my PGX books usually get guide or above, and CGC the same. I have around 50 CGC books, and I find them great.... For me the big draw for PGX is since their office is less than I mile from mine, they pick up and I have the books back in less than 2 weeks and I don't have to ship. If I lived in Sarosota FL, probably would drive down to CGC. Neither are perfect, but both are much better than what we had before CGC came around, and competion is good for business, and for keeping practiced at customer service.

Buy the book not the slab! But both in my opinion preform well with resto detection, not perfect, but well.

I am just a guy who loves comics, and loves to see pics and post pics. Please don't think I am advocating one or the other, its your choice. These are CGC's Boards and I enjoy and respect them. They provide a great forum for collectors, and should be praised. They are the origionals, and the stardard by which all are judged. I don't wish to get into a discussion PGX Vs. CGC as its not revelant here, nor do I wish to wear out my welcome with CGC as they have allowed me and my PGX books on their site. I am happy to give my opinion, but I wanted to be clear as to my intentions when answering any questions on this volitale subject.

Thanks

Paul S.

Working on a nice Fine copy from a buddy of mine. He has two, one is about a 9.4 if I had to guess, the other he calls a VG/FN, but would grade out all day a FN to FN+. He is real old school, anyway he has promised me the book soon, I think he is waiting for it to go up in value, the nice part is he is a guide type of guy and he will sell to me at VG/FN price when he decides to part with it. I really can't get myself to settle on a VG or less copy so I've been holding out buying Timely's. Christo_pull_hair.gifcool.gif

Where yours? poke2.gif

Luckily, I got my Fine+ about five years ago. The reader has a flaw on back, so it's about a 2.0 If you can get the 9.4 at guide, we can go halvsies. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1730594-AF15-2.jpg

Man that is a sweet looking 2.0 what's the flaw on the back ? Water damage ?

Luckily, I got my Fine+ about five years ago. The reader has a flaw on back, so it's about a 2.0 If you can get the 9.4 at guide, we can go halvsies. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1730594-AF15-2.jpg

Ok, Ok, Ok, now your just showing off! 27_laughing.gif

Well done Dman, well done!! hail.gif

1730594-AF15-2.jpg

Man that is a sweet looking 2.0 what's the flaw on the back ? Water damage ?

don't even answer 893whatthe.gif Chromium just want to takeit.gif27_laughing.gif

hi.gif

sorry, couldn't resist. smile.gif

sorry, couldn't resist. smile.gif

Salright! Thats what the boards are for! I would do the same! Nice pair, and I don't say that to men very often! 27_laughing.gif

No, I don't think they do. They do come by at least my office and pick up and delever back to me. Or you can drop at the LCS and they will pick up and drop off there to avoid shipping charges. The Tos is really, really, really nice, but it has really discolored staples with rust. Also the front cover is faded, otherwise it would be 7.0 all day long. Its correctly graded, I think it could have been stretched to a 5.0 even with that, but even overstreet doesn't allow for it to be better than VG+ with those issues. Its one of those books which is always going to look way above the grade.

NIce to see you over here in the SA forum Paul..quite a change from the GA forum going from Timelys to Marvels!

Thanks Ben,

I guess, I got to get my fix somewhere. The GA forum has been a little weird lately, also I haven't had much new material to contribute. Of course that is what makes the whole thing fun, sharing(Showing off that is) and seeing what others have to share in response.

Paul