• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Now Own a Complete Run of Amazing Spider-Man

82 posts in this topic

I'm so glad that worked.

amazingspider-mancollectionandab-1.jpg

Here's a pic of the six long boxes that I store them in. I have no intentions of showing all the books (whose got the time??? Especially, the two hundreds through the new stuff, but thought somebody might enjoy this.)

Hey Guys. Thanks for all the kind words. I plan on responding to some of the posts/catcalls 27_laughing.gif soon, but wanted to try and post some pics now, if I could.

amazingspider-mancollectionandab-2.jpg

Here's where I store my "big books". Note the #1, 14 and 50.

Not to mention the X-Men #1, Daredevil #1 and Avengers #1 foreheadslap.gif I need a better paying job.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Congrats on your complete run. thumbsup2.gif

How long did it take you? Nice pics, I'm truly envious. hail.gif

fay

1984 (Amazing 268, first issue) till 3 days ago, 2007.

23 years! 1/2 the run is original owner!

Was that 3 copies of AF #15 I see? How many years and how much money do you think you have invested? WOW.

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I wish. Those are the reprints (some of- my answer is coming, Amazing Spider-Man completist!).

Good job and congratulations. ASM-Completist brings up some good points, but I think only the collector can decide just what counts in a complete run.

I have the run but still need a few price variants, but in my mind I have the run.

The next question is "what to collect next"? I turned to original art (ASM primarily) as I didn't want to start another run.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

This is simply an amazing feat. I'd love to hear a more detailed story about how you did this, problems you faced, etc. I just started putting a run this last month or so. I've got a measly 100 or so issues out of the way. It seems to daunting, I have no idea how I'll ever finish! But, thankfully, I do have a few key issues out of the way...

Overstreet, Grand Comic Database, Spider-Man.org all have info on the volumes.

Basically, volume 1 ended at 441. Volume 2 went fifty-sixty issues (can't remember, but have them) and volume 1 picked back up at the equivalent of "500" and continues today.

I'll give you guys the story, then go back and pick up any unanswered questions.

I started reading comic books in 1978, at the ripe young age of 6ish. So, I have a stackful of Disney and Warner Bros. comics. (and some Jack Chick and Barney the Bear and Archie Spire Comics too!!!).

Then, in 1984, at aged 12, I walked into a quick stop and picked up Spectacular Spider-Man 99, and Amazing Spider-Man 268 and 269. The rest, as they say, was history. I was hooked.

My Amazing Collection (and my Web and Spec.) all are original owner from 1984-current (with a small exodus from collecting around 1996-2001). I began earnestly seeking out back issues when I went away to college and had more disposable income. I've bought from all the big time local dealers. Terry _____ from Hattiesburg, Ken Stribling from Jackson, Dave Sincere and Steve _______ from Mobile, stores on the Gulf Coast, Florida, Alabama, East Texas, Louisiana (More Fun and Crescent City and Bill________ from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, on and on and on.) It was when I came back to comics 2001-2002 and began to get on ebay that I realized that I could actually complete something, that was for the longest unatainable. I started with Daredevil first (another passion) because I knew it would be easier and help me during the ebay learning curve. I finished my complete run of Daredevil in 2004. (all the while buying Spidey and Avengers books, among other things).

Then, I knew I was ready to finish my grail run. Started in 2004, but owing to the fact that I was in Nursing School, the buying slowed down. Needed about 120 books. Then around eighty. Then fifty or so. Wheedled them down to fifteen, six, then one!

Yes, I have every Marvel Amazing Spider-Man book in the series, "Amazing Spider-Man" volumes 1 and 2, including Annuals, Specials.

No, I do not have every variant, 2nd print, Dynamic Forces cover, etc. I do have much of this, but not every. And it will take some time, but it is part of my eventual goal.

My Long term Spider-Man goal is to own every comic book appearance of Spider-Man. (but we'll see. It's kind of a ludicrous goal.)

My completed runs (OT, but I though someone might be interested)

Amazing Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man (all volumes)

Web of Spider-Man

Spider-Man (all volumes, including, "Peter Parker")

Most of the minor runs

Close to completion

Marvel Team-Up (volume 1, have CR of other volumes)

Not so close to completion

Marvel Tales Featuring

I'm in the process of compiling a list of all the mini series, appearances, and promotionals.

I probably have around 200 odd Spidey comics that fit somewhere under "promotional, reprint, or appearance".

As to grade- My #1 is a VG- 3.0 ish. The majority of my Silver Age run is right around VG 4.0- VG+ 5.0. I like a good clean presenting book so no tape or major tears or pieces missing. I can stand creasing as long as it's minor/moderate. I don't mind a little bit of writing (date stamps, re-pricing), but hate notes and names written on covers.

My bronze age stuff is primarily 6.0-9.2. There's a few in there with moderate foxing that I bought as a lot that I'll probably replace.

My Coppers and Moderns are all VF-NM.

All in all, I'll probably replace less than 12 books in this current lot- I don't like buying books twice.

whew. I think that helps. Let me go see if there are any more questions to answer.

Good job and congratulations. ASM-Completist brings up some good points, but I think only the collector can decide just what counts in a complete run.

I would think we could all agree that the phrase "a complete run" would be what you and I have. 1 copy of every issue published, irregardless of variance (as long as it is a first print.)

Whereas, what SPC is talking about is indeed, "a complete collection".

What say you, SPC?

I have the run but still need a few price variants, but in my mind I have the run.

The next question is "what to collect next"? I turned to original art (ASM primarily) as I didn't want to start another run.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I don't think I'm gonna go the original art route. I think I may pick one or two pieces that just sing to me, and try and locate them, but otherwise, no collecting OA for me. I think I'll become a "completist". 893whatthe.gifacclaim.gif

whew, finally caught up.

First, thanks for all the warm replies. That was fulfilling- makes you feel good to see other collectors enjoying and appreciating the same things you do. Thanks, guys.

Second, in post 1735477, I said "long boxes" when in fact, it is "short boxes" (changed over recently, old habits die hard).

Third, Amazing Completist, love your list! Saved it to favorites and will be using it as a resource!

Fourth- shout outs to Mississippian Ciorac!!!

Thanks again, guys. Now, it's time to save up for 1,000 fullbacks and 1,000 2 Mylites from egerber.

EDITED TO ADD_

I am proud to say that none of my issues are pence copies!!!!!!!!!