• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are zombie books the new horror?

17 posts in this topic

I don't know if this correlation has already been made on the board, but I've noticed alot of love for the zombie titles coming out nowadays, and i've also noticed some hate.

There are alot of collectors on this board that collect old EC horror books and the such, do you think the marvel zombies/walking dead/all that other zombies stuff, are the EC horrors of our generation?

Has history repeated itself here

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I thinks it's like comparing apples to oranges. THe ZOMBIE books are about, well, zombies, while the EC books covered various types of horror/suspense. On a related topic, it ineresting how we've 'evolved' as a society since the days of EC, when they were considered extremely shocking! Now, we have a semi-decapitated Captain America zombie going around chomping on people and we all laugh.... So, having said that, I'd say "no" these books aren't modern day EC equivalents in terms of social impact.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

The zombie books are just a passing fad IMHO.

A creepy, rotten, putrescent, flesh-hungry FAD and I'll love 'em while they last! cloud9.gif

Yep, I hear you. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it will end.... I must admit, I've started skipping certain new "zombie" comics, because there are just TOO many of them...

FAVORITES (of the last few years):

WALKING DEAD,

ZOMBIE KING,

BLACK GAS,

MARVEL ZOMBIES,

REMAINS,

ARMY OF DARKNESS VS. MARVEL ZOMBIES,

CONTAINMENT,

A couple issues of the AVATAR zombie books.

A personal favorite, although about a decade old if no more, is ZOMBIE WORLD (several mini-series from DARK HORSE in the same zombie-plagued world).

Z-on!

Seems like we're reading the same books! thumbsup2.gif

I really enjoyed Containment and Black Gas. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Zombie King was...well, just that one issue. sorry.gif

You should check out Dead World if you haven't already.

I wouldn't write them off as a "fad" just yet... The fans of zombie fiction are legion and are growing every day. They consume ALL manners of zombie-related materials, and many of them are making the transition to comics.

You can expect sustained increases on zombie properties as they become more "specialized" and better-produced.

Seems like we're reading the same books! thumbsup2.gif

I really enjoyed Containment and Black Gas. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Zombie King was...well, just that one issue. sorry.gif

There were supposed to be more Zombie king, but it has been over a year since that first one...I really liked it.

Anyone who likes zombies should read the max brooks books -- The Zombie survival guide and World War Z. I know they are not comics, but i'm sure you guys read non-comic stuff too right? The survival guide is written as if it were a real guide for zombie attack survival. It seems wierd at first, but i really got into it. My girlfriend was laughing at me for reading it until i told her that it would eventually save our lives during a zombie outbreak. Then she laughed harder, and told me she thought my comics were cool with a high level of sarcasm. (She has no right to make fun of me since i am pretty sure she is illiterate) I have not finished World war Z yet, but it's really good so far. Just thought i would recommend those to anyone liking Zombie stuff.

P.S. Why don't we have an un-dead Instant Graemlins smiley guy???

I tried, both new and old series, but I just don't care for it. Sorcery and talking zombies don't do it for me just as I cannot stand running zombies in the movies...

LEAST ENJOYABLE recent zombie books:

George Romero's Toe Tags (didn't care too much for his latest movie either),

MOST Avatar zombie books (but I buy them , insane.gif),

Zombie Feast,

Eclipse of the Dead, and obviously

Dead World (I'll run for cover now, because I know this series has a fervent fan base boo.gif)

And yeah, I have to read those Max Brooks books one day - always good to have something to look forward to yay.gif

Hey that's cool, if you're not into Dead World obviously there are tons of other zombie related books to sink your teeth into. tongue.gif

Re: the Avatar books, I just finished the mini with the old Samuri guy in it, pretty good. Then there was the one with the convicts that was also decent. Having trouble remembering the different series though as they name them too generic with titles like ZOMBIE: Feast etc.

Hey that's cool, if you're not into Dead World obviously there are tons of other zombie related books to sink your teeth into. tongue.gif

Re: the Avatar books, I just finished the mini with the old Samuri guy in it, pretty good. Then there was the one with the convicts that was also decent. Having trouble remembering the different series though as they name them too generic with titles like ZOMBIE: Feast etc.

The Zombie Feaast, Eclipse of the Dead (Samurai man), etc... are IDW series, which disappointed me, because they felt like rushed projects to capitalize on the zombie hype - mediocre art and lacking plot. By AVATAR, I'm referring to ESCAPE OF THE DEAD, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD PREQUEL, ESCAPE OF THE LIVIN DEAD: AIRBORNE, etc... All those minis created/co-created by Russo (the man who helped create NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD with Romero) which are unofficially set in the NOTLD universe and era - some are OK.

Another one I surprisingly enjoyed was the MARVEL ZOMBIE mini. Typical plot (government experiment goes wrong, thus creating a zombie outbreak), but the characters kept the ball rolling.

Anything else out there we might have missed? BOOM STUDIOS released some pricey zombie anthologies. The few I picked up were pretty good overall.

The Zombie Feaast, Eclipse of the Dead (Samurai man), etc... are IDW series, which disappointed me, because they felt like rushed projects to capitalize on the zombie hype - mediocre art and lacking plot. By AVATAR, I'm referring to ESCAPE OF THE DEAD, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD PREQUEL, ESCAPE OF THE LIVIN DEAD: AIRBORNE, etc... All those minis created/co-created by Russo (the man who helped create NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD with Romero) which are unofficially set in the NOTLD universe and era - some are OK.

Another one I surprisingly enjoyed was the MARVEL ZOMBIE mini. Typical plot (government experiment goes wrong, thus creating a zombie outbreak), but the characters kept the ball rolling.

Anything else out there we might have missed? BOOM STUDIOS released some pricey zombie anthologies. The few I picked up were pretty good overall.

See what I mean? I can't even keep track of the publishers! tongue.gif

You are right, I was talking about the IDW books. Although you could say everyone is jumping on the zombie hype right now, I think Avatar is really milking it the most (along with their mega-multiple cover offerings foreheadslap.gif). I picked up a couple of first issues ie. "Escape" and was not too impressed. On the other hand, based on how much I liked "Remains" and "Containment" I have been drawn to the IDW books as well as some of the BOOM Studio stuff.

I did enjoy Marvel's "Zombie" even though they re-invented Simon Garth as a bank teller! Though I did miss the Voodoo elements from the original story.

I did enjoy Marvel's "Zombie" even though they re-invented Simon Garth as a bank teller! Though I did miss the Voodoo elements from the original story.

What am I missing here? The name sounded familiar to me when I read it. Is it a reference to another story or movie?

What am I missing here? The name sounded familiar to me when I read it. Is it a reference to another story or movie?

Simon Garth (my current avatar) originally appeared in MENACE #5 then was re-introduced in the '70s b/w mag Tales of the Zombie. gossip.gif

IMO, it's Kirkman that's keeping this afloat (and really pulled the interest in to begin with). Take away Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies, it wouldn't last two seconds. I really don't even believe it is the zombie genre that's clinched it for Kirkman. Just unbelievably fantastic writing. From my perspective, I'm not a big zombie fan. But Kirkman's storys are sheer fun and bring a bit of believable terror (which kills most zombie stories/movies).

Pat

Well, Marvel Zombies is a fad, but a good one. I think there will always be zombie stories out there but I think the real push came when Marvel Zombies came out. It was a great story and the first time you get to see your favorite Marvel characters all zombified and doing the grossest things you can imagine. I think it was smart of Marvel to combine it with Army of Darkness and keep it light instead of trying to do a straight sequel.