• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealers willing to CGC inventory?

51 posts in this topic

I hope more dealers are paying attention here. I can only speak for myself here, but i can almost guarantee a significant increase in their business if they follow Rich's lead here. Rich and I have never done business before, but because of 1 simple business decision, he has a completed sale and 2 more potential sales in the first few hours of the offer. Fellow collectors, I urge you to spend 10 minutes and peruse Bedrocks website. I am sure he has a raw book that you previously overlooked but might be willing to give a go if CGC'ed. If we collectors put our money where our mouths are, then maybe more dealers will too.

I hope more dealers are paying attention here. I can only speak for myself here, but i can almost guarantee a significant increase in their business if they follow Rich's lead here. Rich and I have never done business before, but because of 1 simple business decision, he has a completed sale and 2 more potential sales in the first few hours of the offer. Fellow collectors, I urge you to spend 10 minutes and peruse Bedrocks website. I am sure he has a raw book that you previously overlooked but might be willing to give a go if CGC'ed. If we collectors put our money where our mouths are, then maybe more dealers will too.

I know after reading this thread and seeing Mr. Bedrock's actions, his web-site has been added to my favorites and I will do business with him in the future. thumbsup2.gif

Plus I hear he's a good friend of Billy Parker. gossip.gif

fay

I know after reading this thread and seeing Mr. Bedrock's actions, his web-site has been added to my favorites and I will do business with him in the future. thumbsup2.gif

Plus I hear he's a good friend of Billy Parker. gossip.gif

fay

I want to thank you all (or ya'll as we say down here) for taking the time to look. All the attention is a nice side benefit of doing something that is kind of a no-brainer to me (both as a dealer and collector). If it helps me get sales - great! If it exposes me as a hapless grader - well then I will have something to work on. I obviously need to work on how I go about making friends!

Richard Evans is a first-class dealer, fun to chat with, and always looking to make a positive difference to the hobby and his customers. No surprise he's stepping up to this ground-breaking "Direct-to-CGC" sale. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I didn't just a few days ago buy the Human Torch #10 CGC 7.0 on his site (so, hands-off gents!! sumo.gif), I'd probably join this sale...

GE

I would do this without hesitation. Actually, I did do it once in the past, with the Phil Rizzuto Fawcett I have listed. I had it listed raw as a Fine and an eBayer asked me to slab it. I did, it came back a CGC 6.5, and he backed out. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would also like to point out this: If the Zip 24 and Pep 8 hit their grade or beyond, I will pay for Mr. Bedrock's CGC fees. Only caveat is that if they don't make the "cut" then I get first crack at them (and Richard picks up the CGC fees)...

I would like to applaud Bedrock City - the dealer with the stones to test their own grading!

Richard Evans is a first-class dealer, fun to chat with, and always looking to make a positive difference to the hobby and his customers. No surprise he's stepping up to this ground-breaking "Direct-to-CGC" sale. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If I didn't just a few days ago buy the Human Torch #10 CGC 7.0 on his site (so, hands-off gents!! sumo.gif), I'd probably join this sale...

GE

Agreed. Richard has alwasy gone out of his way to make any purchase a pleasent one. He even called another dealer for me when I bought an "unrestored" book that was obviously restored. Thanks to him, I was able to exchange the book.

Please don't ask who the other dealer was. The only reason I mentioned it was to highlight Richard's customer service to his regulars.

GE

Agreed. Richard has alwasy gone out of his way to make any purchase a pleasent one. He even called another dealer for me when I bought an "unrestored" book that was obviously restored. Thanks to him, I was able to exchange the book.

Please don't ask who the other dealer was. The only reason I mentioned it was to highlight Richard's customer service to his regulars.

And irregulars!

hello all...

I can say that dear mr evans has put a few beauts into my collection of late...some cgc'd, some not...he can't grade raw worth a *spoon*, though ...books he has the audacity to call vg's are obviously vg/fn, yet he wants to sell them at vg prices? what gives...dern conservative!, I won't tolerate it, buying a vg/fn book for a vg price, phtpht...long live the liberal grader!

rick (former president of college *re-publicans*, UoF, 1988)

(p.s.-I did put a little thought into the creation of this post...in all seriousness, I think many a board members will attest to Bedrock's well earned reputation!, myself included!)

Okay, really, enough with the testimonials. Get back to the ranting..........

I'd be willing to give it a try if anyone sees something on my web-site of interest.

www.bedrockcity.com

OK lets try one FC 199 Sheriff of Bullet Valley raw 8.0 listed at $750 comes back CGC 8.0 takeit.gif

As a follow up to this thread.....

The FC 199 came back from CGC as a 7.0. I had it graded as a vf. Didn't result in a sale but I was happy to give it a try. I want to thank bullet123 for giving it a shot as well. Our conversations through out have given me insight into his collection and now I have a BIG want list to work from.

The Zip 24 I sent in for Shield came back a 6.5 (white pgs.) I had it as a vf-. This one was a little dissappointing to me from a grade standpoint. I thought I had it much closer than that. But we adjusted the price and Shield now has a book I think he is going to be very happy with.

On a side note, since CGCs inception I think grading in general has really started to tighten up on both sides, dealer and collector. I know it has caused me to rethink how I grade. There are things I need to be much tighter on. There are some things I can be a little looser on. Every time I submit books I feel like I get a little better.

So, if anyone else wants to give it a shot, let me know.

I would like to follow up that Mr. Evans is also extremely fair, has a little room to wiggle on books as far as price; is professional and prompt. I will be buying more books from him in the future.

P.S. The Zip #24 came back with white pages to boot!

zip24f.jpg

I would like to follow up that Mr. Evans is also extremely fair, has a little room to wiggle on books as far as price; is professional and prompt. I will be buying more books from him in the future.

P.S. The Zip #24 came back with white pages to boot!

zip24f.jpg

That's a great pick-up, Shield! 893applaud-thumb.gif Glad it worked out for you.

GE

I'd be willing to give it a try if anyone sees something on my web-site of interest.

www.bedrockcity.com

OK lets try one FC 199 Sheriff of Bullet Valley raw 8.0 listed at $750 comes back CGC 8.0 takeit.gif

As a follow up to this thread.....

The FC 199 came back from CGC as a 7.0. I had it graded as a vf. Didn't result in a sale but I was happy to give it a try. I want to thank bullet123 for giving it a shot as well. Our conversations through out have given me insight into his collection and now I have a BIG want list to work from.

The Zip 24 I sent in for Shield came back a 6.5 (white pgs.) I had it as a vf-. This one was a little dissappointing to me from a grade standpoint. I thought I had it much closer than that. But we adjusted the price and Shield now has a book I think he is going to be very happy with.

On a side note, since CGCs inception I think grading in general has really started to tighten up on both sides, dealer and collector. I know it has caused me to rethink how I grade. There are things I need to be much tighter on. There are some things I can be a little looser on. Every time I submit books I feel like I get a little better.

So, if anyone else wants to give it a shot, let me know.

It is so refreshing to see that a dealer such as yourself is willing to admit that as a fellow collector, which you also are, that it does not matter what you grade the raw book at. You can disagree with CGC and their grade for the book, but if you want sales results from buyers like myself and more buyers it seems each day, then you will have to accept their grade and price accordingly. What I hope happens to the market in general is that people eventually educate themselves to the fact that the raw books they are buying, even from the most respected dealers out there, are generally off by a half grade or so. When you are talking about books that have a market value of a couple of hundred dollars it may not matter to you, but when you start to spend thousands like me, it makes all the difference in the world. The good news on the flip side for you is that you can take solace in knowing all the books you have in your personal collection are graded conservatively and will be easier to market should you decide to liquidate one or all of your books in the future. While this did not result in a sale to me, I will always be willing to work with Richard in the future and I am sure his experiment will result in more sales to me in the future because of the professional way in which he attempted to accomodate me.

hello all...

I have seen a recent move on cgc's part to be a little more conservative than maybe in the past?....I resubmitted a batman comic recently, that I had slabbed last year, thinking it might be 1/2 grade higher (was a 5.0)....just checked my online account, and it is a 4.5 now frown.gif

on the flipside, I did the same last month, with a batman I thought was better than the initial cgc grade, and it did go from a 7.5 to an 8.0....so, just goes to show, on any given day...I think 1/2 of a grade move is more than acceptable, given the human variables that go into grading...

c'est la vie...

rick