• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp 100

176 posts in this topic

Please settle an amazingly stupid arguement. Marvel announced that stamp 100 featuring Galactus would appear in one, and only one book. It appears in the last issue of Submariner but I say it appeared in one other book.Can anyone idenitify the other book. Does anyone have list of which stamps appeared in what books so I can figure out how much cutting them out cost me. I long since have sold the original books, and got a decent price for them.

Buyer deducted a grade for ones that didn't affect story and two for those that did. Back then everything that wasn't trash was nearmint anyway.

You were suppossed to be able to exchange a completed set for all sorts of nifty things but I think they pulled the plug on the program real quick. Mine are sitting in a nice binder waiting for a second chance redemption.

FF154 as per this website! Checklist

what a great website. It boggles my mind that people care so much for such an obscure item. A true labor of love.

I guess I'll have to give up on owning any of the original art behind these stamps, but I can see a new game as my friends try to id where each stamp originnally appeared. Knew they'd be good for something so or later. MANY THANKS

I don't know if they ever announced any prizes, just a bunch of teases. I think Marvel was sold during this promo and the new owners wanted no part, but my memory is really faded. Check out the website Greggy linked up, it might tell you there.

Marvel announced that stamp 100 featuring Galactus would appear in one, and only one book. It appears in the last issue of Submariner but I say it appeared in one other book.

greggy -- thanks for posting the link to my MVS Index site!

shadroch - Thanks for the kind words -- and as others have mentioned, FF #154, Am. Spidey #145, and Sub-Mariner #72 all contained Galactus. Just to add -- when Marvel said on a Bullpen Bulletins page that it would appear only once, they added "this year" (meaning 1974). The appearances after Subby were both the following year -- at least if you go by cover date. See my "Hype" page if you'd like to browse the Bullpen Bulletins related to MVS.

However, they also said it was the "rarest" which definitely isn't true. I think that honor goes to #92, Byrrah, which as best I can tell only appeared once. (Marvel Team Up #22)

what weresome of the prizes?

You were supposed to get discounts at selected comic shops, but they never published the list as promised. I believe some Conventions did give out discounts for admission. (The last page of the stamp book had space for this, at least). Also, I believe those folks who showed up at the 1974 San Diego Comic-con got some sort of prize, but don't know what that turned out to be (although I do have a pic up of those folks at the con, on the hype page). So basically, all us kids cut up our comics for nothing. (*cringe*)

And yes, I have wasted a lot of time on MVS -- just one of those things I liked as a small kid -- nostalgia and all that, even though I hate that they ruined so many comics. Nowadays, I can scan and "cut" them electronically without messing up the comics. Shadroch, at least your ones in the binder have *some* value, beyond the nostalgia/fun -- See my Auctions page

Still searching for the original location of about 30 stamps, if anyone wants to join the scavenger hunt . It's sort of like playing "Where's Waldo" with the whole Marvel Silver and Bronze Age as your hunting ground.

Sorry for length of post -- hope it helped.

Rob

I may have an addition to your checklist. I compiled a list long ago for other collectors and on mine I have Tomb of Dracula #37 as an issue containing Stamp #57 Vulture. I no longer have that issue so if someone could check it out and confirm this that would be great. Hope this helps.

Hi Metarog,

I pulled out my copy of TOD #37, and it does have a stamp, but it's #12 Daredevil. It's on the very last page, and there's a story page on the other side.

The Vulture stamp did appear in TOD #28, however. Thanks for checking your list -- you can see the gaps in my list at my issues page. It's currently tallying in at 860 issues, but I still have plenty of gaps.

Thanks,

Rob

And just to clarify my earlier post (I'm a newbie -- sorry), the scavenger hunt I mentioned earlier refers to determining where the original artwork used for the stamps initially appeared. e.g. #20, the Brother Voodoo stamp, was lifted from the artwork on the splash page of Strange Tales #169.

Separate from that, I also have an issues checklist , that tells what stamps are in what issues. I guess that's a hunt as well, but nothing like "Where's Waldo." (ha)

Okay, in an effort to make up for my error on the TOD #37 I looked through some of my collection that you have listed with question marks. Unfortunately,none of the following contain any MVS: Amazing Adventures 28,29 33, Cap America 183,185,188,189, Cap Marvel 31, Daredevil 126, Marvel Premiere21, Marvel Spotlight 23, 24, Power Man 25,26, Supernatural Thrillers 13, War is Hell 9, 14, Werewolf by Night 28,30 and 33. However, I did recognize the art on MVS #31 Modok-it is from Incredible Hulk 169 pg 27. Here is a scan of the page. I think I know some others also but I will get back to you once I know for sure.

Hulk169pg27.jpg

Wow! Several of us have been looking for that Modok art for a while -- nice catch and many thanks for the scan!

Also, don't feel bad about finding issues without stamps. That's what most of them will be now, but I'm trying to get the checklist complete -- and your list was a big help. Email me your info if you'd like an acknowledgement on the True Believers page.

Thanks!!

Rob

I found another one this one was found in Incredible Hulk #171 probably pg 11 (I only have the Power Record version)-this is for MVS #81 Rhino. Attached is a scan of the awesome full page scene. Great website by the way... very thorough and interesting.

589a8b1b735d4_235218-Hulk171.jpg.cacadd191075d13b3b2bbee4b1a89d38.jpg

Okay, last update for tonight. Here is the scan for the Killraven #35 MVS. It comes from Amazing Adventures 20 pg.11. Art was by Herb Trimpe-inked by Frank Giacoia. I think I know a few more if I can find the correct issues.

589a8b1b78173_235281-AA20pg11.jpg.b118161e4b925f33edbe9102731c7b5c.jpg

Wow! Several of us have been looking for that Modok art for a while -- nice catch and many thanks for the scan!

Also, don't feel bad about finding issues without stamps. That's what most of them will be now, but I'm trying to get the checklist complete -- and your list was a big help. Email me your info if you'd like an acknowledgement on the True Believers page.

Thanks!!

Rob

At one time years ago I was working to create a complete list of all the comics that had Marvel Value Stamps. Unfortunately I never completed it -- didn't have all the right comics, and never completed looking through the issues that I did own. Still I listed 200 comics from that timeframe and noted which ones didn't have stamps, and logged the info for the issues that did have them, noting both the A and the B series! I also noticed some issues had a sample Hulk stamp ad, and some that had the #100-question-mark teaser. About half on the list had the stamps, so I ID'd about 100 MVSs. Looking over the list I think I've ID'd a few stamps that you don't have on your list. And some of the issues you have "?" for I have confirmed don't have a MVS. For instance, I have 5 specific issues of Weird Wonder Tales on my list that are noted as having no stamp.

I found your site a month or so ago. For some reason I went searching on that topic one night and came across it. I was very happy to find it!

But your list is way ahead of mine in terms of completeness! I'll send you an e-mail!

metarog -- thanks for another cool find! Will get it posted.

Warlord -- always glad to come across another collector with an interest in the stamps. I'll look for your email.

If anyone's interested, we've now located the original artwork for 82 of the 110 stamps (that number includes the 10 puzzle-piece stamps of Series B).

In case anyone would like to play along without fishing through my MVS website, thought I'd try posting a stamp where we have not found the original art source, but suspect it's from the interior of an issue. Any Werewolf by Night experts out there that can find this one?

07.jpg

Thanks,

Rob