• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp 100

176 posts in this topic

I am resurrecting this thread to see if we can help Rob find the rest of the MVS. There are only 6 left and I will post them here with as much info as I know. Let's see if we can finish this list here at the CGC boards. Please post the issue and page number of the art in the stamp and if possible post a scan of the page the art was found on.

Here are the stamps-

6finalmvs.jpg

Puppet Master looks like Kirby drew him so this could be from FF 8, 14, 100 Annual 3, or possibly Uncanny X-Men 27.

Baron Mordo looks like a Ditko so this could be from somewhere in between Strange Tales 112 to 146.

Vulture could be from ASM 2, 7, 18, 48, 63, 64 or Annual 1.

Ghost Rider-based on the style of bike this could only be from Marvel Spolight 5-11, or Ghost Rider 1-9.

Conan-based on what he is wearing this is probably from somewhere between Conan the Barbarian 25-39.

Werewolf by Night-my collection starts at 24 so this could be from Marvel Spotlight 2-4, Tomb of Dracual 18, Werewolf by Night 1-23 or GS Werewolf by Night 2-3.

Good Luck and as always any helpful responses will receive 5 stars. Thanks.

Marvel Value Stamp #7 Werewolf

Werewolf by Night #12 Page #30

Gil Kane - artist

werewolf.jpg

Puppet Master art is not from Uncanny X-Men #27.

Ghost Rider art is not from GR #1. The motorcycle changed in #3. I agree it's probably from the Marvel Spotlight issues....

I will be better able to look this weekend unless others find them first. That Puppet Master art looks mighty familar....

Jim

It seems to me that the Conan stamp was used in the ads for subscriptions around the time of the giant-size issues. Don't know if it was commisioned for the ad or reprinted from a book.Looked thru a few books from that era but couldn't find the ad I'm thnking of. Maybe this will give a hint to someone. thumbsup2.gif

Marvel Value Stamp #80 Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider #3 Page #11

Jim Mooney - Artist

gr.jpg

Puppet Master art is not in FF #100 or Annual #3 (or #2 for that matter despite a number of FF villains pin-ups in the issue that didn't include him).

Baron Mordo art is not in Strange Tales #138-140. One is very close though. Could this be a collage of art maybe? The hands are definitely Ditko or Ditko influenced but the face sure looks alot like Brunner (a little more detail than usual Ditko or maybe it was retouched?)....

Jim

Another great find. I was pretty sure the GR was not Ploog. I agree that the Mordo looks very strange (no pun intended). The aura around the hands looks like Ditko but the face doesn't really. Could you post the one that you think is close so we can inspect it? Thanks again Jim.

I'm pretty confident now that it's NOT Ditko. Ditko auras were pretty much uniformly circular. The one on the stamp has ridges. After looking at Brunner art in Marvel Premiere #11 and #14, the auras have ridges similar to the stamp and his depiction of Mordo sures looks like him. I suggest anyone with Marvel Premiere #13 take a look......that's the issue where I think the art will be found.......

Jim

I'm pretty confident now that it's NOT Ditko. Ditko auras were pretty much uniformly circular. The one on the stamp has ridges. After looking at Brunner art in Marvel Premiere #11 and #14, the auras have ridges similar to the stamp and his depiction of Mordo sures looks like him. I suggest anyone with Marvel Premiere #13 take a look......that's the issue where I think the art will be found.......

Jim

Nope....not in MP 13! frown.gif

So who do you think it is?

Take a look at your cover to MP #13. The auras around the hands are identical to those on the stamp.

51845482862.13.GIF

I went through many Ditko Strange stories last night and pretty much all his auras were circular. It definitely doesn't look like Severin.....

Jim

So who do you think it is?

Take a look at your cover to MP #13. The auras around the hands are identical to those on the stamp. I went through many Ditko Strange stories last night and pretty much all his auras were circular. It definitely doesn't look like Severin.....

Jim

Have no idea! It's not like I have that many Marvels to reference anymore! 893frustrated.gif

WOW! I can't believe how many you've found. Thanks, metarog, for getting things going again and for the MP #13 scan. And, Jim, three finds in a flash. You get the prize!! thumbsup2.gif

Just to update everyone -- the website has moved, so some of the links earlier in the thread are no good. The site is now at:

http://www.mvstamps.com/

I've been working this afternoon trying to keep up with you guys. Here's the latest:

Baron Mordo

Ghost Rider

Werewolf

Vulture

In addition to those great finds above, here are some other cool ones that I believe have been added since I last posted here:

Series B Hulk Puzzle from UK Hardcover (body from front, head from back!)

Volstagg from an unpublished/unused cover

Morbius from a Marvel black & white magazine

There have been some others, but I've linked enough I think.

Thanks again!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif