• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp 100

176 posts in this topic

Way to go Greggy, you BLIND SOB.. makepoint.gif
Screw u. Picture looks different! I saw it but the art looks slightly off! tongue.giftonofbricks.gif

It IS different. It's evidently been massively redrawn by Romita's Raiders.

There's no doubt that it's the original inspiration, however.

All of those new ones are right on, but I seriously doubt that Morbius image is taken from that exact pic (the angle/neck/face/hair is all wrong), though the House Ad is perfect.

If you ask me, assuming the Ad came from an actual comic, that one is still outstanding.

My theory: The House Ad used that comic panel as its inspiration, but was totally redrawn for the actual ad and MVS. Even the hands are different in the ad.

Have to admit, I do think the Vampire Tales is a match -- in the sense that it was the source that was tweaked directly (i.e., not redrawn from scratch) -- BUT it's a pretty fine line between the two in any case. smile.gif

The hands look pretty much the same to me, although the fingernails were lengthened in the house ad. And there's a few details in the house ad that make me think it was tweaked directly from the original.

(See attachment, if you're interested.)

For example, on the left-hand side of Morbius's head, his hair sort of just "stops" (instead of flying up as on the other side), and looking back at the original, it seems to be because they had to cut out that "Morbius" logo from the original page. In the house ad, this chopping of the original hair almos makes Morbius look like he has a bad comb-over hairdo. Also see the remainder of the little wisp of hair that's below the thumb on the left-hand side.

Everything has been tilted in the house ad, but even where they've decided to redraw the collar, it makes sense in terms of if they tried to cut the head out (as I've done). Definitely some messing with the shadowing on the face and details -- but some of this may be from the reduction in size for the house ad.

Anyway, my picking is all in good fun. Again, I could be all wrong. grin.gif

313174-vtcomp.jpg.bef8e8061c351317ee4c51703a7dc663.jpg

Okay, thanks to Awe4one there are only 2 MVS left to identify. I thought for sure one of the first stamps to be identified would be the Conan. Aren't there any Conan collectors out there... Old Guy perhaps? The Puppet Master I can understand since this might be in a really old FF. Anyway, besides these last 2 Series A stamps there are still a few scans that are needed.

For the Series B Silver Surfer a scan of FF #72 pg 6. is still needed.

For Series A the following are needed:

Kraven MVS 48- scan needed of Amazing Spider-Man #1 Annual Pin-up page.

Super Skrull MVS 70- scan needed of Thor #142 pg 8.

Owl MVS 78- scan needed of Dadedevil King Size Special #1 Pin-up section.

Zemo MVS 86- scan needed of Tales of Suspense #99 pg 8.

Electro MVS 94- scan needed of Amazing Spider-Man #1 Annual Pin-up page.

As usual 5 stars for all contributions. Thanks again True Believers! grin.gif

Okay, thanks to Awe4one there are only 2 MVS left to identify. I thought for sure one of the first stamps to be identified would be the Conan. Aren't there any Conan collectors out there...

Thanks again True Believers! grin.gif

Once again, in the "I Ruled These Out" category (unless I just stink at this worse than Greggy, which is very possible...) here are the issues I checked and failed to find the Conan stamp's art:

Conan 23, 24, 26, 30, 31, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 and King-Size #1

Thanks David, I gave you 5 well deserved stars! 893applaud-thumb.gif Anyone else want to contribute .. I still have plenty of stars to give. smile.gif Come on Conan collectors I just have to know where that MVS is from. 893frustrated.gif

BTW here is the art for that unumbered Hulk stamp that appeared before the actual MVS. It's from the Friends and Foes centerfold in FF 128.

ff128friendsfoes.jpg

This just occurred to me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif does anyone have an Essential Spider-Man Vol 2? The Electro and Kraven Pin-ups should be in there, no? Someone please take a look and you can knock off two scans that are missing. Thanks.

This just occurred to me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif does anyone have an Essential Spider-Man Vol 2? The Electro and Kraven Pin-ups should be in there, no? Someone please take a look and you can knock off two scans that are missing. Thanks.

If you really want those scans from Annual #1, I can get them tonight (plus some others.) I'm a little loathe to damage my books though so I'll probably just digitally photograph them. (my copies are pretty nice.. maybe 9.0-9.2 (or higher) depending on how they grade square bound books.)

Well, the knowledge, generosity, and collections of all you CGC Board folks continues to amaze me. thumbsup2.gif

Heck, metarog has even tracked down the source of the unnumbered Hulk stamp! Thanks davidpg for the Owl scan -- and sckao, I appreciate the digital photos; I'll definitely be posting them. Ya' gotta' love the way they pulled together that Skrull stamp from that page.

Anyway, just wanted to give the "heads up" that it may take me a little longer than usual to update the site due to vacation/Thanksgiving. I'll come back and post some links when the pages are done -- but in the meantime feel free to keep 'em coming! 893applaud-thumb.gif