• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp 100

176 posts in this topic

Joe C. you da Man! Great finds and I know Rob will appreciate it. Here's a fiver for you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks, and here's hoping who ever needs 'em has nabbed 'em, cuz I'm taking them offline. Need the BW for some potential auctions this weekend...

Hi, here's my one informative post for the month. I went through all my Marvel books and looked up the ones that you didn't have conclusive information on your Series A checklist and obtained the following information:

Arrgh1 1, 3, 4, and 5 have no stamps.

Beware! 7 does not have an actual stamp from the series but does thave the Hulk one with the number 5.

Beware! 8 does not have a stamp.

Crypt of Shadows 9 does not have an actual stamp from the series but does thave the Hulk one with the number 5.

Crypt of Shadows 10, 11, 16, and 19 have no stamps.

Dead of Night 11 does not have a stamp.

GS Chillers 3 does not have a stamp.

GS Conan the Barbarian 5 does not have a stamp.

GS Defenders 4 and 5 have no stamps.

GS Doc Savage 1 does not have a stamp.

GS Dracula 3 does not have a stamp.

GS Fantastic Four 6 does not have a stamp.

GS Man-Thing 1 does not have a stamp.

GS Triple Action 1 and 2 have no stamps.

GS Master of Kung-Fu 2 and 4 have no stamps.

GS Spider-man 2, 4, and 6 have no stamps.

GS Thor 1 does not have a stamp.

GS Werewolf 2 does not have a stamp.

Journey into Mystery 10 is noted on your site to have a stamp but it actually only has the question mark #100 stamp.

Journey into Mystery 13, 15, and 19 have no stamps.

Strange Tales 182 does not have a stamp.

Uncanny Tales 3 has the question mark #100 stamp.

Uncanny Tales 6 and 9 have no stamps.

Vault of Evil 10 has the question mark #100 stamp.

Vault of Evil 11, 12, and 18 have no stamps.

War is Hell 7 and 8 have no stamps.

Weird Wonder Tales 3 has the question mark #100 stamp.

Weird Wonder Tales 5 and 6 have no stamps.

Western Gunfighters 21 has the Hulk promo stamp with the number 5.

Hope this helps! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a lotta looking! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Great work. I was just pawing through some boxes and set aside some WWBN and WWT issues, among others, to check for stamps. However it looks like I'd better wait for Rob to update the list again so I can see which titles still have issues that need to be sought out and see if I have them.

I'm glad you knocked so many off the list, that saved me a lot of checking!

Luckily, I only really collect the more obscure Marvel titles, as a lot of them were missing. But...I didn't find one with a real stamp! confused-smiley-013.gif

Wow, that was quite a few to knock off the list at once. A well deserved fiver for you. I also did some hunting and found Series B Stamp #47 Thor in Daredevil 131. Daredevil 132 also has a stamp but it was cut out. crazy.gif

I think I have also narrowed down another Series A stamp-Conan #3. Based on what Conan is wearing in the Stamp I am guessing that this art must be from somewhere between Conan 31 to 36. If some Conan collectors can look this up 5 stars are waiting grin.gif

whew! Things are heating up!!

metarog: I agree on the Spidey from #131 being the source for the Series B puzzle. Too many little shading matches for it to not be a match. Maybe someone working on the stamps drew the background and thugs? Could be... Also, appreciate the very helpful stamp finds. Thanks as always!

Also, I don't have Giant-Size Super Stars #1 or Spider-Man Annual #1, unfortunately.

joe_collector: Great finds -- on two that were especially bugging me, but I didn't have a Silver Surfer run to check. Excellent scans, too -- and I was able to grab them quickly during my 5-minute lunch break yesterday -- sorry I didn't answer right away -- I actually missed your initial comment about grabbing them quick -- didn't notice until I read your later post. I was lucky -- whew! Many thanks for your help!!! Bet you're right on Man-Thing; wish I had one!

greggy: Very great -- loooong --- list! Muchas gracias!! That's gonna' fill in a lot o' gaps! Lucky for me you liked -- as you say -- those obscure Marvels! (Then again, can anything be more obscure than the stamps themselves -- ha). Don't feel bad about not finding any Series A stamps -- there can't be many more out there; just trying to complete the list. Thanks!!!!!

OK, everyone, I know I'm on the hook to get all this great material updated, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Have some Labor Day Weekend duties that may slow me down, but I do hope to make substantial progress this weekend. Will post to let warlord and everyone else know...

THANKS EVERYONE!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi, just double checked the GS Super-Stars and there is no image of the Series B Hulk in the issue. The artist is different so no luck! frown.gif

Unfortunately, my Marvel Western run didn't go as late, as my numbers were a little earlier.

Checklist Update

Updated all the new finds on the Series B checklist. Thanks!! grin.gif

Also, rather stunning progress on the Series A checklist, from much help here and from some other folks.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Still working on the recent artwork finds...

Here's some Series A Checklist stats:

868 issues total

513 have no stamp (59.1%)

307 have identified stamps (35.4%)

48 (unknowns!) (5.5%)

So, basically, about 1 out of every 3 Marvel Comics during the Series A era had a stamp in it. And there are less than 50 left to be filled in! I think that's a small enough list to justify posting it, finally. Here's the mystery issues...(I know some are reprints, but would like to confirm if possible). Thanks for any help!

=========

MVS Series A Checklist -- "Most Wanted"

Adventures on the Planet of the Apes #2

Fear, (Adventure into) #27

Fear, (Adventure into) #30

Ghost Rider #12

Ghost Rider #13

Human Torch #5

Journey into Mystery (2nd Series) #11

Journey into Mystery (2nd Series) #14

Journey into Mystery (2nd Series) #16

Journey into Mystery (2nd Series) #17

Journey into Mystery (2nd Series) #18

Ka-Zar #11

Night Rider #2

Night Rider #4

Outlaw Kid #21

Outlaw Kid #22

Outlaw Kid #24

Outlaw Kid #25

Outlaw Kid #26

Outlaw Kid #27

Outlaw Kid #29

Outlaw Kid #30

Sgt. Fury #121

Sgt. Fury #122

Sgt. Fury #123

Sgt. Fury #125

Sgt. Fury #126

Sgt. Fury #128

Thor #241

Uncanny Tales #4

Uncanny Tales #7

Uncanny Tales #8

Uncanny Tales #10

Uncanny Tales #11

Vault of Evil #13

Vault of Evil #14

Vault of Evil #15

Vault of Evil #16

Vault of Evil #17

Vault of Evil #19

Vault of Evil #20

Vault of Evil #21

Vault of Evil #22

Vault of Evil #23

Weird Wonder Tales #11

Weird Wonder Tales #12

X-Men #89

X-Men #91

The following do not have a stamp....

Weird Wonder Tales 11 and 12

Vault of Evil 15 and 20

Uncanny Tales 7

It's my understanding that reprint titles do not have the stamps. The Bullpen Bulletin even said as much when the stamps were announced and they would only be found on the letters pages (which reprint titles do not have). There is a case where a unique stamp was on the Bulletin itself. I'll try to track it down but it wasn't in a reprint book.

That should eliminate finding any stamps in:

Weird Wonder Tales

Journey into Mystery

Human Torch

Night Rider

Outlaw Kid

Uncanny Tales

Vault of Evil

I also believe that Sgt Fury had done away with letter pages by this time so finding stamps there would be fruitless.

Jim

Actually, I believe there is at least one reprint title with the MVS in a strange place, like next to a Marvel Ad or similar.

One guy helped me out immensely on the MVS quest and he send one over with (I think) a "Sorry, this is the only place we could put the MVS for this issue" notation next to it.

Hi awe4one,

Thanks for checking those 5 issues!

Yes, you're correct that Marvel did make a reference to reprint issues (or issues that don't have letter pages) not having stamps; I think you're correct about the titles you cite. If no one else has them, I may go ahead and fill those in. I'm just a little leery about just going with it, because Marvel made a number of minor misleading statements in relation to the stamp program -- for instance the infamous "#100 is only going to appear once" statement that started this thread.

I have also found an issue that was filled with a reprint (Strange Tales #175) that did still contain a stamp (#10 Power Man). I know, I know -- this title at that time wasn't generally a reprint, hence the discrepancy, but it still was a reprint with a stamp.

On Sgt. Fury, I do feel they're worth checking because at least three issues have been confirmed as having stamps (Sgt. Fury #'s 118-120). Two of those three I've seen myself, so I know they're there. wink.gif However, it won't surprise me at all if those 3 issues are the only ones with stamps in that title.

Anyway, thanks again for the 5 issues and the advice on the reprints. If anyone else is game for checking the other issues, the reprints, or the Sgt. Fury's, that would be most appreciated!

By the way, you aren't talking about me are you? I sent a slew of them to you....

Hey, long time no email Jimmy Boy!!

Now let's sing "It's a small world..." in unison.. A 1 and a 2...

You back in North America?

MVS Artwork Update

Thanks, everyone, for the artwork finds. Got them posted if you're interested:

Silver Surfer Stamp

Mephisto Stamp

Spidey Series B Puzzle (partial match)

Man-Thing stamp (with a plea in the "comments" for someone to check out the interior of Man-Thing #1 or Adv. into Fear #19)

Dr. Strange stamp (NOT a real match, but a good excuse to post a late 1960's MMMS poster!

Thanks again!

More Artwork Finds

Couple more discoveries from kind folks who emailed me directly:

Man-Thing stamp from (Adventure into) Fear #12

And the Kull stamp is apparently from Kull the Destroyer #11, splash page. I don't have a scan of that one, so if anyone has one and is willing, it would be most appreciated!

Others in that same category (found and listed but in need of a page scan) if anyone is in a scanning mood -- wink.gif -- include:

Amazing Spider-Man #42, last page (Mary Jane stamp)

Daredevil #18, p.10 (Gladiator stamp)

Daredevil King-Size Special #1, pin-up (Owl stamp)

Tales of Suspense #99, p.8 (Cap story -- Zemo stamp)

Thor #142, p.8 (Skrull stamp)

Thor #169, p.19 (Hogun, etc.)

Thor #219, p.14 (Thor stamp)

As always, thanks for any help!

Rob

joe_collector

Clearly you are channeling the Speed Force, because you made the Flash look pokey with how fast those went up. 893applaud-thumb.gif Thanks!!!

Here they are:

Mary Jane stamp from Amaz. Spider-Man #42

Gladiator stamp from Daredevil #18

Thor stamp from Thor #219

You've only left 4 scan candidates for those who still want to play...

Daredevil King-Size Special #1, pin-up (Owl stamp)

Tales of Suspense #99, p.8 (Cap story -- Zemo stamp)

Thor #142, p.8 (Skrull stamp)

Thor #169, p.19 (Hogun, etc.)

Thanks!!!

Rob