• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp 100

176 posts in this topic

Meta...do you have a list of comics that the Hercules stamp art isn't in? It would save time eliminating issues that already have been checked.

Jim

Sure....expect others to do the really hard work! mad.gif

Meta...do you have a list of comics that the Hercules stamp art isn't in? It would save time eliminating issues that already have been checked.

Jim

Sure....expect others to do the really hard work! mad.gif

Hey now! When I have looked for one, I always posted the comics the art wasn't in! tongue.gif

Jim

Hi Jim, the guy who found the art for the Doc Strange stamp sent me an e-mail and stated that he has checked all he appearance of Hercules in the Silver and Bronze age. He thinks it is from a Marvelmania magazine. Do you have any of these to check?

Hi Jim, the guy who found the art for the Doc Strange stamp sent me an e-mail and stated that he has checked all he appearance of Hercules in the Silver and Bronze age. He thinks it is from a Marvelmania magazine. Do you have any of these to check?

Unfortunately no. Well, that pretty much eliminates me finding it.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Hey, does anybody have a copy of the most recent Alter Ego #42? Supposedly the Herc stamp art is shown as previously unreleased art. If anyone has one please post up the pic and any text related to it. Here is the image for your reference.

90.jpg

Hello again -- to anyone still interested in this topic.

First, my apologies for dropping off the face of the Earth. Long story -- not much time to update the Marvel Value Stamps website anymore, but FINALLY got a bit of time today.

I did want to let everyone know that an all-new article on MVS will be appearing in Comic Book Artist Collection Volume 3 in April 2005. This is an article I wrote a while ago, and it includes info I gleaned from interviews with Marie Severin and Roy Thomas. I have more info on the site at:

http://www.mvstamps.com/cba3.htm

Also, I've updated the artwork pages on several of the hardest to find:

Hercules Stamp Artwork

Spidey Stamp Artwork from Marvelmania

Dr. Strange artwork from Strange Tales

THANKS again to everyone -- especially metarog and Batroc -- for all the work in tracking these down. The knowledge of the people here is just amazing.

Thanks,

Rob

Great to hear from you Rob. Batroc and I were worried about you for awhile there. Looks like the site is pretty much complete now. Is there anything missing we can help you with? I am always up to a comics challenge. LMK. grin.gif

Thanks, Metarog. Was just a major change in my job -- and both my laptop and desktop dying over the course of a year -- that created a LOT of difficulty. I knew it was going to take many hours just to get the equipment set up, and my work wasn't leaving much room for even that. It feels good to finally get things updated!

Nothing else pressing on the site right now. Little things -- like a scan of that actual portfolio for Spidey -- would be cool, but I'm guessing those are in rare supply. The Iron Fist and Lilith still kind of bug me -- for the same reason Tango mentioned. Seems hard to believe that artwork was created just for the Bulletins page, but no one has seen them inside a comic or on the cover. Oh well....

Tango -- I'm happy to post 'em, if somebody finds 'em! There have been a few that didn't originate with a comic -- like that Herc stamp from Buscema's unpublished model sheet. But I'm always happy to get better info up on the site. Thanks!

The only one that strikes me as a bit strange is the Spider-man stamp. All those other images in the ad/portfolio are from actual comic books and I would find it surprising if Spidey wasn't taken from somewhere else.

It seems to me that the Spidey stamp is from the cover of ASM #70 with the one arm redrawn:

01.jpg

77906321824.70.gif

Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like a darn good guess, but I see a couple small differences too. In the stamp, you see more of Spidey's chest -- enough to actually see the spider emblem. In the cover you can see a little more of his right leg below the knee. Also the left leg thigh lines look a little different... I don't know that those minor details couldn't also have been altered though, so I don't think your suggestion can be ruled out that easily.

It has been awhile since this topic has been discussed... I did find a MVS in the 1994 reprint of Tomb of Dracula #25.

P.S. did anybody read the article in Comic Book Artist about MVS? I think it was in Collection Volume 3.

It has been awhile since this topic has been discussed... I did find a MVS in the 1994 reprint of Tomb of Dracula #25.

P.S. did anybody read the article in Comic Book Artist about MVS? I think it was in Collection Volume 3.

No...but I have fond memories of them nonetheless...I'll have to look it up...

Jim