• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Shenanigans - Buyers Beware!

33 posts in this topic

Here is a seller deceptively trying to sell a GRR (1966) as an original Amazing Spider-man 1 (1963). Note how he hides the CGC Label where it states Golden Record Reprint. Buyers Beware!

It reminds me of the YouTube clip recently posted with Judge Judy and the female Ebay seller who sent a picture of a cell phone but no actual cell phone to a victim that paid $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Well, silverweb has a point - this guy has tried to scam before. I can't remember the exact details, but I'm pretty damn sure it was with this same book. It was this auction from February: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SPIDERMAN # 1 CGC 9.6 (320080857100). If you check the item #, you'll see that it is "invalid", meaning Ebay pulled it. The previous auction foir this ASM GRR was up to $10,092.00 when it was pulled on February 14th.

Ah yes, the CGC Search function comes through for me! headbang.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1637601

Good work, testinadical. Shows a shady past.

I think he is just being a bit more clever now, to lure an unsuspecting Ebay novice.

Did you notice the "No buyer protection"?

makepoint.gif

it plainly says golden records in the notes.

no deception there, you have to be able to READ to buy from ebay I always say. If you can't/don't...you get what you deserve.

On the slab it says "Golden Records Reprint" - funny how he left that out, and didn't include any of this in the auction title. But you're right, he put in just enough so that he can claim it's the buyer's fault. I hope you read the link above - you can see this seller has a history of being deceitful.

it plainly says golden records in the notes.

no deception there, you have to be able to READ the very small print to buy from ebay I always say. If you can't/don't...you get what you deserve.

Fixed that for you! thumbsup2.gif

Ya the guy has deliberately gorged the description with 3 word lines in super large font, and then the smallest font possible, included the critical bit of info.

He's gone fishing for cetain!

my guestimate?

300-1k.

But the point isn't what the book is worth- the point is it's clearly a scammer method of selling books. The only way you could know this wasn't a true 1, was if you knew the phrase "Golden Record" meant "reprint book" and the phrase is even removed from the actual title line of the comic. As well as an unreadable scan, etc. etc.

HAHAHHAHAAH the Golden Record Kid is BACK!!!

Yeah at least he didn't put that it was the 1st appearance of the Chameleon and J Jonah Jameson on his listing this time around. As I was verifying exactly what he did put other than golden records I went into the listing to find out that it was Yoinked again. Didn't look nearly as bad this time as last time from what I saw anyway. 10K was a bit much last time round. screwy.gifmakepoint.gif

HAHAHHAHAAH the Golden Record Kid is BACK!!!

Yeah at least he didn't put that it was the 1st appearance of the Chameleon and J Jonah Jameson on his listing this time around. As I was verifying exactly what he did put other than golden records I went into the listing to find out that it was Yoinked again. Didn't look nearly as bad this time as last time from what I saw anyway. 10K was a bit much last time round. screwy.gifmakepoint.gif

Looks like Ebay pulled the auction, so he relisted it as a 1 day auction (auction started Apr-17 16:05:32), made it a Private auction, and now he has a bidder?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32739&item=320104862821

Here is a seller deceptively trying to sell a GRR (1966) as an original Amazing Spider-man 1 (1963). Note how he hides the CGC Label where it states Golden Record Reprint.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Guess he wouldn't be able to do that if there were a special colored label that denoted a reprint.

Times like this I don't feel like the rules made to "protect the novice" do that nearly as much as they end up often helping to fleece the novice.

Consider the listing description

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SPIDERMAN # 1 CGC 9.6 UNRESTORED

Pedigree Collection MONTEREY Golden

"Unrestored"

"CGC"

"9/6"

"Pedigree"

All the proper buzzwords that a novice will hear right off the bat as they're being told what to look for... .

including the fact that it's in a UNIVERSAL BLUE LABEL

A quick look at ebay listings will reveal many reprints in universal slabs with high grade numbers.

And not just reprints, "special editions," and "variant covers" and "limited editions" (is there any such thing as an "unlimited edition"?)

These books are printed up and slabbed and sold to collectors who have been told over and over they wll be a savvy investor so long as they stick with the supposedly infallible buzzwords.:

"Unrestored. High grade., Universal blue Label. Pedigree."

Every one of those attributes can be completely manufactured and completely meaningless.

I am glad to see this thread and people showing a little bit of concern. It would be nice to see more.

little *spoon*. I wrote him a message saying I was a serious buyer and was this the original or the Reprint. Here's what he says in reply (without posting it, I might add.)

Item: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SPIDERMAN # 1 CGC 9.6 UNRESTORED (320104862821)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

asmrules is the seller.

It is the Golden Record Copy, Pedegree issue -- Thanks for the shout - Dwayn - asmrules

>> It is the Golden Record Copy, Pedegree issue

So is the seller claiming that there is something called

the "Golden Record" pedigree? That's pathetic.

BTW, how much is the GRR version of Spidey 1 worth in 9.6?

Is it really worth $2K?

gozer

-------------------

I'm surrounded by arsonists and kids with mittens pinned

to their jackets all year 'round.