• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legion of Super Heroes...silver age to present!

323 posts in this topic

I really don't want to limit the discussion or posts to just silver age stuff as the Legion has a history longer than any Marvel hero and is being published still.

I think the Sub-Mariner, Ka-Zar, Captain America and a few others would like a word with you out back. poke2.gif

West insane.gif

Allow me to clarify (I knew that someone was gonna take me to task on that one) from the silver age to present. shy.gif

Cool thread. thumbsup2.gif

I'm working on a BA run of Superboy right now from 197 to 258. I'll post a couple issues when I get home tonight. Plus I've got a few SA Superboy books with Legion appearances.

To be honest, these early appearance have been posted quite a few times already and it is somewhat obligatory that we repost them here for people to see, but what I am excited about the most is seeing people post their post Adventure Comics LSH appearances...there are so many. Don't get me wrong, I will be throwing up 12 cent Adventures as much as anyone, but alot of the BA and copper stuff is just so cool. Personally, the copper age stories were just so good.

My insidious purpose here is to create more LSH fans......MWAHAHAHA! devil.gifinsane.gif

The Legion was my first Favorite comic. I stopped reading/collecting comics soon after the double traumatic events of the Legion losing THEIR title to Supergirl and the 25% increase in cover price all the was up to OMG 15 cents an issue.

Anyway here is one of their earlt appreaances.

adv293.jpg

What appears to be so daunting in collecting LOSH appearances is how they cross-over into so many Superman titles of that era.

That's why this thread has been particularly cool, because of the way the Legion appearances have been presented in sequential order cutting across all the different titles! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, I've got nothing to contribute until after someone posts a #300.

Timberwolf question: I always liked him back in those Legion stories but I'm not sure who came first, him or Wolverine. I always figured we was DC's early Wolverine knock-off. Am I mistaken?

since you requested it, here is a #300. I have almost all fo the adventure appearances, but only scanned up to # 305 when I was first got a scanner about 7 years ago. Since bandwidth was much more scarce then most of my images are only about 70k

adv300.jpg

Timberwolf question: I always liked him back in those Legion stories but I'm not sure who came first, him or Wolverine. I always figured we was DC's early Wolverine knock-off. Am I mistaken?

Yep.

Superboy #197

1949 Series - DC, September 1973, coverprice 0.20 , 36 pages

Incredible Hulk, The #181

1968 Series - Marvel, November 1974, coverprice 0.25 , 36 pages.

And you do know that Superboy 197 featured the visual re-design of the old 1960s Lone Wolf / Timber Wolf character , a re-design accomplished by a newbie artist named... Dave Cockrum?

I figured Cockrum had something to do with it as I remember his Legion work. Interesting subject, though I'm sure it's been discussed here before. Thanks for the clarification.

It might not have been discussed. There's a lot of Wolvie fans who don't realize there are other comic publishers. gossip.gif