• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legion of Super Heroes...silver age to present!

323 posts in this topic

Howz about the Adams Adventure cover run ? It is amazing the number and variety of covers he did for DC in the 60's & 70's. He put a lot of -ahem- "Action" in these covers - much more, IMHO, than the static covers of the early 60's

Ad372.jpg

Ad373.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

I've actually never seen the 372 cover before!

Adventure Comics #371 and #372 represent the last great two parter for the Legion:

AdventureComics371.jpg

AdventureComics372a.jpg

A fairly dark and serious tale, the Legion faces an old enemy who cruelly betrayed them in a previous story...

My first #371 was obtained by a comic book swap with a pal. He didn't tell me the story carried on to the next issue and I still remember feeling disappointed at the time. Am I totally sad or what?

Anyway, a few weeks later at the coast I went out before breakfast to get a morning paper for my parents and there on the stand was #372. I read it over my breakfast cerial. Even now, I still associate #372 with a misty August morning by the sea.

Congrats to our own Steel City on the 346. Guess my bid wasnt even close to being strong enough.

Thanks. This is the issue that really introduced me to the Legion and therefore I suppose one of the factors behind my collecting comic books. Finding a copy in the kind of grade I want has been so frustrating. I have tried for over twenty years without ever finding "the" copy, until now. Probably other nice ones will emerge, now that the prices of 1960s DCs are rising so quickly. So, while the cost of this copy is both painful and even embarrassing, at least I can now put one of my grails to rest!

Congrats to our own Steel City on the 346. Guess my bid wasnt even close to being strong enough.

Thanks. This is the issue that really introduced me to the Legion and therefore I suppose one of the factors behind my collecting comic books. Finding a copy in the kind of grade I want has been so frustrating. I have tried for over twenty years without ever finding "the" copy, until now. Probably other nice ones will emerge, now that the prices of 1960s DCs are rising so quickly. So, while the cost of this copy is both painful and even embarrassing, at least I can now put one of my grails to rest!

I was stunned when I logged on this morning to see how the auctions went! Granted, they looked fantastic and finding Adventures with white pages is very difficult. The fact that Adventures from the mid-1960s are now consistently cracking the $1000 barrier (and now the $2000 barrier) is incredible. All I can say is it's about freakin' time people woke up to what a great title this is and how undervalued the books are!

Congratulations, Ian! 893applaud-thumb.gif Clearly you weren't the only one who really coveted the 346! I was left in the dust at just over $1000! sorry.gif

it is great to see those covers in such beautiful condition! Two of my favorite issues of the entire Legion run

The 335 was the first legion book that I bought as a kid. I bought a few books and took them with me as my family went on a LONG car trip. I must have read them each 10 times. I could hardly wait to find out who that Starfinger really was.

The 346 was probably my favorite issue of the series. I really liked the introduction of all those new characters. Karate Kid quickly became my favorite especially after the battle he gave Superboy.

it is great to see those covers in such beautiful condition! Two of my favorite issues of the entire Legion run

The 335 was the first legion book that I bought as a kid. I bought a few books and took them with me as my family went on a LONG car trip. I must have read them each 10 times. I could hardly wait to find out who that Starfinger really was.

The 346 was probably my favorite issue of the series. I really liked the introduction of all those new characters. Karate Kid quickly became my favorite especially after the battle he gave Superboy.

Wasn't the 346 Jim Shooters first issue?

Wasn't the 346 Jim Shooters first issue?

Yes, it was.

Three 9.8's versus one 9.6 can make for quite a difference in price!

Adventure 340

There's still more than 1 day to go. gossip.gif The big prices on the recent auctions didn't appear until the end either.

But, I agree with you that it's unlikely this copy will go for nearly as much given the greater abundance of ultra-HG copies. On the other hand, if someone is trying to assemble their HG Adventure run, what is the likelihood of any of the 9.8s appearing in the market, particularly if the price for this 9.6 copy turns out not to be that strong? I can safely say that one of the 9.8 copies is locked up.

Legion fans you need to vote in the Silver Age Survivor thread to help ensure that Adventure 247 is not voted off too early. I think It should make it to the final ten, but if the forces of the Great Darkness Saga win out it will be eliminated in 3 more rounds.

adv247c2.jpg

Adventure 340

There's still more than 1 day to go. gossip.gif The big prices on the recent auctions didn't appear until the end either.

But, I agree with you that it's unlikely this copy will go for nearly as much given the greater abundance of ultra-HG copies. On the other hand, if someone is trying to assemble their HG Adventure run, what is the likelihood of any of the 9.8s appearing in the market, particularly if the price for this 9.6 copy turns out not to be that strong? I can safely say that one of the 9.8 copies is locked up.

PGC Mint had that copy on their website for $405 with no takers before listing it on eBay this week.

Legion fans you need to vote in the Silver Age Survivor thread to help ensure that Adventure 247 is not voted off too early. I think It should make it to the final ten, but if the forces of the Great Darkness Saga win out it will be eliminated in 3 more rounds.

Unfortunately, it's not a contest where you vote in favor of a book, it's voting against a book. So unless you organize which other book you want people to vote against, Adventure 247 lovers who go and vote in the contest will just end up spreading their votes out.

Adventure 340

PGC Mint had that copy on their website for $405 with no takers before listing it on eBay this week.

Looks like it paid off to list it on eBay, with a final sale of $550, which prior to the recent run-up in Adventure prices I would have said was a very decent price for this book. Of course, the winner is a 0 feedback bidder, although the underbidder appears to be legit (although thanks to eBay's new system who the hell knows). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It looks like the Marvel Zombies are out in force gunning for 247. For now all legion fans need to vote to squash ANTMAN (TTA27). After all he is just a wife beating ripoff of Shrinking Violet ( or the Atom).

IF the Legion survives this round I think that the next 2 voted off should be JLA 1 (4th appearance) and then Flash 105 (5th appearance)

LONG LIVE THE LEGION!!

adv247.jpg

It looks like the Legion (i.e.Adventure 247) is going to get the boot unless there is a miracle that could save them like the sacrifice of another DC 2nd books.

Anyone who was thinking of voting ( perfhaps more than once. I wink.gif)

Afterall who else might bring out a cover like this

legion9348.jpg